HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bolts ask for Schenn

Old
05-13-2009, 03:16 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
What i wonder is Burke won't be forced to throw his 2010 1st rounder by the window in order to complete this deal. I don't see the Leafs being significantly (by significantly, I mean, selecting in the bottom tier next year) better than they were this year...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:17 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc View Post
Burke just said in that same 590 interview that Kaberle and Schenn would not be a part of any deal. So would someone out there more knowledgeable than me please tell me what Burke would have offered up to get to that 1st or 2nd pick. From what I've seen there is precious little else to be had in the Toronto cupboard. Certainly nothing that the Isles or Bolts would take.
See my post just above for a hint of what he might offer...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Burke just said in that same 590 interview that Kaberle and Schenn would not be a part of any deal. So would someone out there more knowledgeable than me please tell me what Burke would have offered up to get to that 1st or 2nd pick. From what I've seen there is precious little else to be had in the Toronto cupboard. Certainly nothing that the Isles or Bolts would take.
I know you were probably typing this when the post above yours appeared so you likely didn't see it.

Apparentley the answer to your question is Ian White.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:29 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
we didnt trade up/draft/develop luke over the last year just to trade him away.. he's got the leadership qualities and potential to be a great shut down dman for along time.. why mess with that?

Im not crazy about moving up but if we do I think a guy like Ian white could go the other way
Ian White? Is he going to carry the bags for the valuable players that would be part of a trade to move up?

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:31 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Ian White? Is he going to carry the bags for the valuable players that would be part of a trade to move up?
Someone has to drive to the airport

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 04:11 PM
HSF

Montreal - Tampa told other teams what Montreal was willing TO GIVE UP

Toronto
- Burke just stated what tampa WANTS.

Wanting something and offering up players is really different since offering a player means that you dont mind giving them away, wanting something doesnt mean the other GM wants t ogive those players away

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 04:36 PM
nuckfan insk

vCash: 934
if i was lawton id say one of two things to burkie #1

#7 , nyr 2nd rounder, car 2nd rounder, thomas kaberle and leafs 2010 2nd rounder for pick #2. tampa needs to restock, these picks will help. and with kaberle they could keep him or ship him off at the deadline for a nice package.

#2 "gimme gimme never gets dont you know your manners yet ?"

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Rschmitz

No Schenn or Kaberle? Burke just officially closed this thread, unless he can find another team or get other pieces. Outside of pick #7, Tampa Bay has no interest in prospects that are going to take years to develop, so 2010 picks and second rounders just aren't going to cut it. They'll take franchise defenseman Hedman and significantly improve their defense, or if the Islanders take Hedman, they'll nab Tavares. Hmm, Lecavalier, St.Louis, Stamkos, Tavares, Malone, Prospal...oh my God.

But wait a second, if Toronto is willing to give up Ian White; they'll have to seriously reconsider those scenarios

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 04:39 PM
weems

Quote:
Really people have to take what these general managers say at this time of year in regards to the draft with a grain of salt. I mean right after the draft lottery Lawton and company said Kaberle wasnt the type of player they would be looking to add if they would deal the pick and now all the sudden Kaberle interests them. There is so much posturing going on between Burke and Tampa that I wouldnt take what you hear too seriously. Just because Burke says right now that Schenn or Kaberle will not be moved in the deal doesnt mean hes telling the truth, GM's lie about stuff like this all the time.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 04:42 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC View Post
No Schenn or Kaberle? Burke just officially closed this thread, unless he can find another team or get other pieces. Outside of pick #7, Tampa Bay has no interest in prospects that are going to take years to develop, so 2010 picks and second rounders just aren't going to cut it. They'll take franchise defenseman Hedman and significantly improve their defense, or if the Islanders take Hedman, they'll nab Tavares. Hmm, Lecavalier, St.Louis, Stamkos, Tavares, Malone, Prospal...oh my God.

But wait a second, if Toronto is willing to give up Ian White; they'll have to seriously reconsider those scenarios
In this history of sports do you know how many times a general manager has said a certain player will not be traded and then is actually traded withing a few weeks after that remark? When Brian Colangelo first became the Raptors general manager one of the first things he said was that he wouldnt trade Charlie Villanueva and that he was a big part of the teams future going forward. A week later he was traded.

Old
05-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
In this history of sports do you know how many times a general manager has said a certain player will not be traded and then is actually traded withing a few weeks after that remark? When Brian Colangelo first became the Raptors general manager one of the first things he said was that he wouldnt trade Charlie Villanueva and that he was a big part of the teams future going forward. A week later he was traded.
Your comparing the NBA to the NHL. I'm assuming you've watched some NBA drafts, and if you have, you know better than to compare how the two leagues handle things in respect to players

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sML-z3dbtwI

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Thefalkon

It is basically Hedman for Schenn here. Why wouldn't the Leafs do it? The Leafs aren't getting anything of as good quality at 7th compared to Hedman/Tavares.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 05:07 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC View Post
Your comparing the NBA to the NHL. I'm assuming you've watched some NBA drafts, and if you have, you know better than to compare how the two leagues handle things in respect to players

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sML-z3dbtwI
It happens in every sport.

MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA

Old
05-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Thefalkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
It happens in every sport.

MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA
I think it is safe to say that it doesn't happen at the MLB draft.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 05:10 PM
BrentH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post
Someone sounds butt-hurt.

I see no issues with this, Lawton went big with an asking price, Burke said no. Maybe thats the end, maybe they meet in the middle, who knows. Its just bargaining.

Tampa doesn't want to give up anything other than the second (expressed interest in retaining everyone they currently have signed) and Toronto doesn't want to (and shouldn't) give that up for the second pick.

No big deal. But, pathetic people will find reasons to hate, then again leaf fans are used to this too...
I'm not pathetic nor hating but thanks.

I have not found confirmation that Koules/Lawton threw out names but it seems like you believe they did so maybe they did? I have no idea,,, so the point with that is as follows: journalists, bloggers, fans etc talk about rumours and speculate and come up with their own counter offers etc, NOT owners, not publicly. Burke mentioning Tavares is not tampering, Tavares is not under contract with an NHL team. Any other owner/GM would not talk names to anyone outside the organization like that. That is what is sad. That is to my understanding the same crap that happened to Gainey. I believe Gainey over those SAD Tampa folks any day.

I'd much rather blame all this on a misunderstanding or Doug Maclean... I'm still catching up on todays news and listening to Leafslunch pods etc. I know Burke won't talk about Malone or Tampa players but I'm sure it'll be a good listen.

BrentH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 07:05 PM
wayne98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
That wont get it, what you dont seem to get is that Lawton has to be persuaded to move it, the 7th and Kaberle wont do that. He would just stick with getting a franchise player.
i agree. Lawton would be stupid to make that trade with the leafs, for 7th pick and kabby. however burke would be stupid to do that trade with adding schenn. so i think the leafs would be better off keeping there 7th pick or trading down to 5th, so they can grab the other schenn. and tampa should keep their pick and take hedman.

wayne98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne98 View Post
i agree. Lawton would be stupid to make that trade with the leafs, for 7th pick and kabby. however burke would be stupid to do that trade with adding schenn. so i think the leafs would be better off keeping there 7th pick or trading down to 5th, so they can grab the other schenn. and tampa should keep their pick and take hedman.

Just wondering here,don't mean to jump into the conversation but I just wanted to know from Tampa fans. What do you think it would take for the Florida Panthers to aquire your #2 pick? Supposedly NYI are going after Hedman, and I know as a Panther fan and everything that I've read,that I would love to see Taverse here.

To Fla:
2nd overall pick in 2009 (Taverse hopefully)

To Tampa:
??

How about Horton,Bo(signed),Matthias, 2009 1st rounder and 2010 1st???

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:50 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Just wondering here,don't mean to jump into the conversation but I just wanted to know from Tampa fans. What do you think it would take for the Florida Panthers to aquire your #2 pick? Supposedly NYI are going after Hedman, and I know as a Panther fan and everything that I've read,that I would love to see Taverse here.

To Fla:
2nd overall pick in 2009 (Taverse hopefully)

To Tampa:
??

How about Horton,Bo(signed),Matthias, 2009 1st rounder and 2010 1st???

I dont think there is a trade in the world that would have TB send Tavares or Hedman to a division rival, let alone the Stinkin Panthers

And for the record..its Tavares...not Taverse lol

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote