HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Green Stick update

Old
05-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Walt Comiskey

vCash: 500
Mike Green Stick update

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...ast-stick.aspx

Greenie apparently is very superstitious about his sticks. It might be only worth about 0.5% of a psychological advantage. But I'll take it.

The bigger question is why Easton could not whip up a few of these for a Norris trophy candidate.

Walt Comiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:56 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Comiskey View Post
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...ast-stick.aspx

Greenie apparently is very superstitious about his sticks. It might be only worth about 0.5% of a psychological advantage. But I'll take it.

The bigger question is why Easton could not whip up a few of these for a Norris trophy candidate.
The factory is likely tooled to make what they make. It would mean completely retooling the assembly process.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 08:32 AM
tim

vCash: 50
If there was ever an opportunity for Easton to cash in.. this would be it. Fix up the assembly process and get it moving. You know younger players everywhere would want them seeing his play this year (and his 'drop' after not using it).

Of course, I'm ignoring the multiple-month approval process this would likely take from corporate heads.

Last edited by tim: 05-13-2009 at 08:37 AM.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 08:48 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

It sucks green would grow dependent on a discontinued stick. The psychological advantage may seem negligible to some but I think its huge to him. I cant believe that he cant find a twig with the same flexibility and feel though.

The stick companies are probably making sticks that break on purpose to maximize their sales. That is my only rationale for why they would market such pathetic equipment. lets face it, they make a near indestructable stick, sales plummet. "Cap"italism rocks.

We caught a huge break last game when Talbots twig broke on the faceoff. Watch him, he doesnt know what to do and he watches Steckel go to the goal and win the game.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-13-2009 at 08:56 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It sucks green would grow dependent on discontinued stick. The psychological advantage may seem negligible to some but I think its huge to him.
Finding a stick you like is a big deal. Remember when Ovechkin signed with CCM and couldn't score with their sticks? He had to go back to his old stick (NB?) because he couldn't score with the new ones. I know it takes me at least a couple of games to get used to a new twig.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:08 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I cant see how players like the modern day sticks. Maybe the ones that break are defective, I dunno. But they break so easily, I feel comfortable in thinking that most should not have confidence in them even though they are addicted to them. But at some point players are going to start thinking about their stick breaking when they go to make a simple pass. Or take a faceoff, or a simple dump in. They will lose that mental edge that they have.

Seeing Green take a pass that broke his blade in game 4 was a first for me. Erskine breaking two sticks in a row on a simple pass up the boards was a first for me. Nylander falling flat on his face testing his stick... I have never seen this stuff before and bet few have either.

Old
05-13-2009, 09:11 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
I cant see how players like the modern day sticks. Maybe the ones that break are defective, I dunno. But they break so easily, I feel comfortable in thinking that most should not have confidence in them even though they are addicted to them. But at some point players are going to start thinking about their stick breaking when they go to make a simple pass. Or take a faceoff, or a simple dump in. They will lose that mental edge that they have.

Seeing Green take a pass that broke his blade in game 4 was a first for me. Erskine breaking two sticks in a row on a simple pass up the boards was a first for me. Nylander falling flat on his face testing his stick... I have never seen this stuff before and bet few have either.
I really think this is especially true for defensemen. Granted, Greener isn't the typical defensemen, but having a defensemen's stick break is a major issue.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Walt Comiskey

Quote:

This brings up another statement (for another thread). Should the NHL do away with the automatic slash penalty for a broken stick? It seems that if the new sticks are breaking on face offs without contact, a penalty call is pretty ridiculous.

Walt Comiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Comiskey View Post
This brings up another statement (for another thread). Should the NHL do away with the automatic slash penalty for a broken stick? It seems that if the new sticks are breaking on face offs without contact, a penalty call is pretty ridiculous.
It's not automatic. See Kozlov earlier in this postseason.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Bananas

The only problem with this theory is that Green was playing like crap for most of the Rangers series too.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 11:11 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Its funny I am one of few that think Green has been doing OK. Sure he has had some soft clears and didnt clean house the way I would like, but the rags and pens are giving us fits, not just him. A large part of how he is doing should be measured by our power play performance. Dont fool yourself; he scores most his goals on the PP. If the PP is working Ovi is scoring et al or we arent getting many PP chances, yet he is getting 25TOI and staying even, he is probably doing ok. Bruce seems overall content with his performance.

Maybe we are making more out of the stick drama drama than we should. In the heat of battle when crosby is flying in on green, do you think he is thinking his stick doesnt feel quite right? If it isnt, compensate, adjust, adapt. Its just a piece of plastic in his hands.

Old
05-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

i think green was average in game 1 but apart from that hasnt been bad.
i DO want to know why he has not rushed the puck up ice the entire playoffs though. thats way more concerning. he is not skating and that to me is the major problem for his lack of production.

what is wrong with his body?

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:00 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

he got the stealth

Old
05-13-2009, 06:41 PM
pgreene

Quote:
he got the stealth
so far it's not working.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:18 PM
WharfRat

What kind of golf club does he prefer?

WharfRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:58 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

what a ****ing disaster his new old stick is. we won last game i think one could argue don't change anything. Its not all Green this type of abuse has happened almost every game though, Varly just had another human night. We missed our only scoring chance they get a ****ing another weak broken stick call and the game was over.