HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Spezza to St. Louis (Revised)

Old
05-13-2009, 03:31 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Incredibly bad proposal, despite the fact that Spezza is one of the league's best centers. This trade makes no sense for the Blues.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:33 PM
AF1982
Jet(s) Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post
No problem, we signed Anders Forsberg who had worked along side Hakan Andersson for the last 10 years, helping him to build the Detroit Red Wings. It was Andersson who personally went to Bryan Murray and recommended Forsberg for the job.

We're fine without Kekalainen and Frank Jay etc. Erik Karlsson is a shining example of that (not to mention Patrick Wiercioch, Zach Smith, Andre Petersson and Emil Sandin).
This guy is in first season with the Senators + he's only an amateur scout. Kekalainen and Jay were both held a higher position within the Senators organisation before they left Ottawa and they were vastly more experienced.

Any reasonable Ottawa fan will admit that they miss Kekalainen (to those I apologise for my snide remark.)

AF1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatley15 View Post
Your not serious are you?

And I'd say Ottawa doesn't do this at all.
I'd say quite serious. We trade our organizations core for a player who has never hit 100 points? It would never happen. Spezza is one hell of a player. One of my favorites. But there is no way in hell this would EVER happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post
At the very minimum it would take the 9th overall, Karlsson, Volchenkov, Spezza, Foligno and probably another piece or 2.

Are we actually talking about Berglund, EJ and Oshie?

That dial tone Murray would hear would be right after Davidson laughed his arse off.
Pretty much. At least someone in Ottawa gets it.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:50 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
This guy is in first season with the Senators + he's only an amateur scout. Kekalainen and Jay were both held a higher position within the Senators organisation before they left Ottawa and they were vastly more experienced.

Any reasonable Ottawa fan will admit that they miss Kekalainen (to those I apologise for my snide remark.)
I miss the dude that went to the Habs more

but i dont care cause our scouts seem to know what they are doing.

lets just say the Muckler years were horrible

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Guy Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Trade Proposal

St. Louis receives:
C Jason Spezza ($7M cap hit, 6 years remaining)
G Alex Auld ($1M cap hit, 1 year remaining)
D Alexandre Picard ($0.850M cap hit, 1year remaining)
Ottawa's 2009 2nd-round pick

Net cap hit: +3.033M

Ottawa receives:
C Patrik Berglund ($1.267M cap hit, 2 years remaining)
C/RW T.J. Oshie ($0.850M cap hit, 2 years remaining)
D Erik Johnson ($3.7M cap hit, 1 year remaining)

St. Louis' 2009 3rd-round pick

Net cap hit: -$3.033M

Guy Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 04:09 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Obviously the Sens wouldn't agree to a deal of Oshie or Perron + a first-round pick for Spezza. Prospects have potential while Spezza is a proven commodity.
The reason why teams would make a move like this is to shed salary and get younger. If you aren't looking to do that, then don't make the move. IMO, that is probably similar in value to what other teams would be offering for Spezza. I think it is unrealistic to expect too much more. If you don't like the return, then don't trade him.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Old
05-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Kamina
Amok

Take out Auld, Take out Johnson, insert another 2nd.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamina View Post
Take out Auld, Take out Johnson, insert another 2nd.
Even if that 2nd is coming from Ottawa, it's still not enough.

Old
05-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Dr Turk

That has to be one of the worst proposals I have ever seen. I could go on but I think the other blues fans have let you know just why that is a horrid proposal.

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 05:56 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
You requested some feedback, so I'll give you some.

Don't ask for a teams best young players while offering significantly less in return. Erik Johnson, T.J. Oshie AND Patrik Berglund going the other way would net a lot more than you have proposed and would never happen in any case.

What makes you think the Blues would take on considerably more salary while giving up the cheaper, better players in the deal?

Why should the Senators benefit from the Blues solid drafting?

Here's my advice to you.

Try and keep your proposal centered around filling a specific need for your team while addressing the other teams need as well. I see you did that with Auld and the Blues are indeed looking for a backup tender, so no problem there. The problem with your proposal is it creates holes everywhere else on the Blues roster. With every player you add you decrease the odds of it being a realistic trade.

Auld is the only piece that the Blues MIGHT have an interest in, so just resubmit an offer based around him rather than trying to strengthen your own team off of the Blues amateur scouting staffs hard work.

Last edited by TK 421: 05-13-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: negative comments on my part
TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Northern Neighbour

I didn't mean to offend anyone. That definitely wasn't my intent. I'll edit the OP to ask the following below:

Assuming the Blues were interested in Spezza, what could a potential deal look like? I would assume one of Berglund or Oshie would be coming back since the Blues would be overloaded at centre.

Who else would be available from the Blues? Johnson obviously is untouchable. I should have realized that he's equivalent to Doughty despite his serious knee injury.

Would it be more reasonable to inquire about Pietrangelo? Eller?

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
I don't understand why St. Louis would even consider a trade unless the other team is getting robbed out of their mind. St. Louis really came together after a first half slide and posted the best record in the whole league during the second half of the season and barely missed the playoffs.

they didn't stay long, but the Blues advanced as many rounds as the Flyers, Sharks & Devils.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:55 PM
AF1982
Jet(s) Enthusiast

As a Blues fan, I'm not interested in Spezza. We have McDonald and Berglund at the center position. McDonald was on pace to score more points, than Spezza scored all season in 08-09.--> You'll not get a fair return from ANY team for Spezza based on his play this season! It's best to hold to him.

I doubt that the Blues organisation is interested in Spezza, either. If Jarmo Kekalainen has a say in this trade he'll probably reject the idea. Do you know that he wanted to draft Mikko Koivu 2nd overall in 2001? I doubt that he wants Spezza (again.)

Why didn't you take the advise from the Blues poster (TK 421) above your post? Do a little research on the Blues (*or insert any other team*)! I can assure that I (we) will not kill you, if you ask about the teams needs.

The playoffs showed that the Blues lack a PMD- PP QB type of defenseman. We have Johnson (*hint, hint*) and maybe Pietrangelo (*hint, hint*) next season to help fill that gap. The question remains if both youngsters are ready to step up to the task, which is why some Blues want to acquire an additional and more experienced Dman, who fits the criteria that I mentioned at the start of this paragraph. P.S. Pietrangelo might be available in the right deal.

Ottawa doesn't have this kind of player in the NHL. Interestingly, you have been searching for the same type of player, since being sweep by the Pens. You have drafted Erik Karlsson and he may play in the NHL next season. St.Louis doesn't need Karlsson, though because the Blues have a better player in Pietrangelo.

Last edited by AF1982: 05-13-2009 at 07:26 PM.
AF1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

After just seeing the right now... and not reading at all. **** NO.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Blues077

You can have Boyes for Spezza, but don't ask for the future.

Blues077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:22 PM
bdp

Spezza for one of Oshie or Berglund? Are you serious with that proposal? Highway robbery for the Blues

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatley15 View Post
Your not serious are you?

And I'd say Ottawa doesn't do this at all.
you have never seen how good berglund and oshie are.. or their age have you?

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:46 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post

First pick he had major input/influence on would easily be a top 10 pick this year.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
The Original Really Bad Trade Proposal

St. Louis receives:
C Jason Spezza ($7M cap hit, 6 years remaining)
G Alex Auld ($1M cap hit, 1 year remaining)
D Alexandre Picard ($0.850M cap hit, 1year remaining)
Ottawa's 2009 2nd-round pick

Net cap hit: +3.033M

Ottawa receives:
C Patrik Berglund ($1.267M cap hit, 2 years remaining)
C/RW T.J. Oshie ($0.850M cap hit, 2 years remaining)
D Erik Johnson ($3.7M cap hit, 1 year remaining)
St. Louis' 2009 3rd-round pick

Net cap hit: -$3.033M

Amended Proposal (More of an Inquiry)

To St. Louis: Spezza and Auld

To Ottawa: One of Berglund / Oshie + ???
The revised one is BRUTAL. Unless by + you mean +++

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
The revised one is BRUTAL. Unless by + you mean +++
I would be happy with EJ and Berglund. Maybe even add McKee and Give Picard to clear cap space.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:56 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Wow, horrible trade. If they really wanted Spezza, it would be something like Berglund and a 1st/2nd; not their whole damn youth core!

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post
I would be happy with EJ and Berglund. Maybe even add McKee and Give Picard to clear cap space.
He didnt include EJ though; that would be great. He said Berglund OR Oshie +... I don't think he meant EJ, he would have said that.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:50 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post
I bet you would be happy but I'll bet my bottom dollar Pleau puts you on speaker phone so the whole front office can have a good laugh at that offer. Out of all the players that we fans may feel are untouchable on our teams I can guarantee EJ is bar none top of the list for the Blues. Forwards are not an issue with the Blues, puck movement and offensive threat from the Blue line is the worst area for the team so it would make zero sense to trade the key player in that. Nevermind the fact that the player is one of the premier young d-men in the league. Plus we get to throw in a good young center with PPG potential who's already defensively responsible in? Nevermind that both of these players are cheaper than Spezza, Hell we could almost ice two entire lines of kids for the cost of Spezza, four of which would be first round picks. Three of which can play center(Berglund, Oshie and Eller).

This is all leading up to a big no way in hell.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 05:08 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

This trade offer is something so stunning that the OP should really take a step back and look at his life and ask what isn't working. "Where did I go wrong," he should ask, "to find myself so out of synch with commonly understood reality."

Same goes for the notion that this trade could even be "revised."

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote