HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Issue on the slap shot when skating in

Old
05-13-2009, 06:25 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Issue on the slap shot when skating in

Hey guys, I've got a good slapshot and wrister too, especially when standing still. My skating wrist shot is almost as good as when I'm not moving, but my slap shot seems to lose a lot of power when I skate into it. I used to be able to do this fine but went a long time without taking slap shots, but am playing D sometimes now, so I need some help on it. Thanks.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

if you are like full stride you cant really pivot as much, you kind of have to do it like a snap shot in stride but with a bigger wind up and shoot behind the puck more

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Hockeyfan68

I just have the puck going the same speed I am and have it in my wheelhouse. It is almost the same as standing still but more ahead of me than if I were standing still.

I can't prove it here by typing but I have a seriously good slapshot and break plexi a small amount of times a year. I've had many compliments over the years from people asking how I shoot like that from both regular folk and college players. My other shots are average but whatever lolz.

The real trick to shooting a slapper on the fly is to be looking at where you are aiming while shooting. if you practice what I said above the puck by habit will be in the same place everytime you shoot so you do not have to look at the puck when shooting.

Just practice the same thing over and over again and DON'T use your most powerful windup. Work on the mechanics first and get it to not flop around when shooting it or whatever trouble you were having. You don't have to kill the puck until you have perfected the followthrough.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
Hey guys, I've got a good slapshot and wrister too, especially when standing still. My skating wrist shot is almost as good as when I'm not moving, but my slap shot seems to lose a lot of power when I skate into it. I used to be able to do this fine but went a long time without taking slap shots, but am playing D sometimes now, so I need some help on it. Thanks.
Well, in order to get full leverage behind this shot, you will have to do one of two things.

The first one is called a "Shooting Alley" It looks something like this if you shoot right.

Come in on your off wing and shoot across your body with the slap shot or the wrist shot. Both shots will work great at full speed if you use this shooting alley to take advantage of the force of the shot across your body.

The other shot is when you come down the ice on your "On Wing". There is a specific gateway area to release the shot for maximum leverage behind the shot as well.

Hope this helps.
Head coach

05-14-2009, 01:04 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I just have the puck going the same speed I am and have it in my wheelhouse. It is almost the same as standing still but more ahead of me than if I were standing still.

I can't prove it here by typing but I have a seriously good slapshot and break plexi a small amount of times a year. I've had many compliments over the years from people asking how I shoot like that from both regular folk and college players. My other shots are average but whatever lolz.

The real trick to shooting a slapper on the fly is to be looking at where you are aiming while shooting. if you practice what I said above the puck by habit will be in the same place everytime you shoot so you do not have to look at the puck when shooting.

Just practice the same thing over and over again and DON'T use your most powerful windup. Work on the mechanics first and get it to not flop around when shooting it or whatever trouble you were having. You don't have to kill the puck until you have perfected the followthrough.
Some good advice. Will let you know how it goes...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
Some good advice. Will let you know how it goes...
Well it is THE shot I am as good as a pro at but nothing else yet. My friends or brothers when we go to an AHL or NHL game actually tell me I shoot harder.

My other shots like i said are average and not a pro level. I work at it and they are "okay" but nothing spectacular.

My best wrista is the Mark Messier shooting on the wrong foot one which is good to do as goalies hate it. Shooting one with a normal stance is more difficult on the move at full speed and I constantly work on it. I'm getting better at it but figured after more than 3 decades of playing if it isn't great by now it probably won't be anytime soon

It is good to laugh at yourself once in a while.

My worst shot is probably a snap shot while redirecting a puck on goal as a shot on goal. If I cradle it and shoot it the thing is great but in an all-in-one followthrough motion not so much. I have a decent one timer slapper though so I am missing something. I'll figure it out eventually.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What seemed to help me was getting my feet further apart, not sure how to describe it, but I spent a couple hours at a rink outside and it helped quite a bit.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote