HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Finnish 2010 Olympic Roster

Old
05-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Arselona

vCash: 500
I'd still put N. Kapanen in over at least J. Ruutu and likely Miettinen and Bergenheim as well. Ruutu doesn't put up points, takes stupid penalties and likely has a reputation in the eyes of refs.

Arselona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Finnswiss

I wonder what the Finns find so awesome on Jarkko Ruutu that many put him on the roster for the olympic team. After the WHC here in Switzerland I hope I will never see him again playing for the finnish national team, there are surely better options.

I can well understand that you don't want Niinima in your team but why do you want J. Ruutu?

Last edited by Finnswiss: 05-11-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Finnswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnswiss View Post
I wonder what the Finns find so awesome on Jarkko Ruutu that many put him on the roster for the olympic team. After the WHC here in Switzerland I hope I will never see him again playing for the finnish national team, there are surely better options.
Then who would you replace Ruutu with as our 4th line winger?

Ruutu is a great agitator and a good penalty killer who can occasionally score goals as well. Yes, he takes stupid penalties sometimes but that comes with the package.

Ruutu was not the reason we lost the QF game to the U.S, our lack of scoring was.

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Mr Scarface*

Ruutu will be with the team. Jukka Jalonen loves dat rear end. I sensed it during this tournament and saw something special and exceptional between Ruutu and Jukka. Jukka loves Ruutu's shootout skillz and his diving abilities. He finna smack that ass mane.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Finnswiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel View Post
Then who would you replace Ruutu with as our 4th line winger?

Ruutu is a great agitator and a good penalty killer who can occasionally score goals as well. Yes, he takes stupid penalties sometimes but that comes with the package.

Ruutu was not the reason we lost the QF game to the U.S, our lack of scoring was.
I miss for example Petteri Nummelin, if he is healthy he is a much better choice than Jarkko Ruutu. Nummelin has better scoring quality and is able to organize the PP and also the penaltykilling contrary too Jarkko Ruutu.
Of course you can argue that Ruutu is an great agitator but as penalty killer he didn't impress me at all at the WHC here in Switzerland, in contrary, instead of concentrating on the penalty killing he committed a stupid foul so USA could play 5 on 3 and equalize the game or he destroyed a powerplay by taking unnecessary penalty.

He was the catalyst for some foolish minutes within Finland lost the game by neglecting completely the defense and everyone was attacking. Of course one goal of the opponent is no reason to panic like the Finns did and it was the whole team but the game developed bad for Finland at this moment and it began with Ruutus stupid penalty.

Scoring efficency has always been a weakness of the finnish national team but when you know it for what you need a player in your team who doesn't know when it is intelligent to agitate and when not?
But if finnish coaches want take the risk to play 5 on 3 or because there is one player who is stupid enough to take penalties when Finland plays already PK there is nothing to do

Finnswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnswiss View Post
I miss for example Petteri Nummelin, if he is healthy he is a much better choice than Jarkko Ruutu.
Nummelin would fit better than Ruutu on the 4th line? Nummelin is a defenceman.

Ruutu will be in Vancouver, you'll see it. He'd be a very good fit on our 4th line and can be effective on PK as well.

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Tomas W

Do you guys think we will see both Valtteri Filppula and Ville Leino for the finnish squad, or what are thier chances respectively?

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 02:19 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Do you guys think we will see both Valtteri Filppula and Ville Leino for the finnish squad, or what are thier chances respectively?
Filppula should have a good shot. Leino's chances are comically low unless he manages to score 50 points before the olympic break ;P

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:40 PM
VanIsle
Bruins/Canada 2014

Any chance Rask sneaks in there next year.
I live in the area and would love to see him in action.

VanIsle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:52 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post
Any chance Rask sneaks in there next year.
I live in the area and would love to see him in action.
He has a shot, of course. It will be interesting to see who takes the third place after Bäckström and Lehtonen.

Kiprusoff won't come in to be Bäckström's backup, so he likely won't come at all...

The third place is up to one of these IMO: Rinne, Rämö, Rask, Niittymäki, Toskala, etc. I think all of our NHL goalies are in the running for the spot, but that the choice will fall on a young one.

Old
05-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
He has a shot, of course. It will be interesting to see who takes the third place after Bäckström and Lehtonen.

Kiprusoff won't come in to be Bäckström's backup, so he likely won't come at all...

The third place is up to one of these IMO: Rinne, Rämö, Rask, Niittymäki, Toskala, etc. I think all of our NHL goalies are in the running for the spot, but that the choice will fall on a young one.
Curious as to why you see Backstrom, and not Kiprusoff, as the starter. Also, I'd think Norrena would get some consideration as the number three since he filled that role in the past with Team Finland.

As for the defensemen, I'm surprised that neither Nummelin nor Berg have been mentioned. It seems like Petteri Nummelin was a big part of the success team Finland had both in the Olympics and the world championships. While Berg has always seemed to be a favorite of the Team Finland organizers.

Up front, I'm surprised that some previous posters are quick to dismiss Ville Peltonen. It seems like he was a big part of Team Finland's success in the past as well. And is well-suited for the international game. Similarly, I'd think Esa Pirnes would be considered as well.

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVP View Post
While Berg has always seemed to be a favorite of the Team Finland organizers.
Berg was just a favourite of Westerlund's or he always got in because of his "NHL-status". But the pure fact nowadays is that this guy has gone from "kinda useless" to "absolutely, completely useless". He used to be an above average player in FEL, but subsequently he's became totally atrocious.

Considering he still has such a big paycheck, I figure he's probably decided to start enjoying life outside work already. I mean the guy is constantly injured, loves fishing and lives in Turku, also has a boatload of cash...

I'll say he retires after his contract comes to an end. He doesn't care about playing anymore.

Grove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:19 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVP View Post
Curious as to why you see Backstrom, and not Kiprusoff, as the starter. Also, I'd think Norrena would get some consideration as the number three since he filled that role in the past with Team Finland.
Seeing as Bäckas is the better goalie and the better and more loyal team mate, it would be weird not to see him get the nod over Kiprusoff.

Quote:
As for the defensemen, I'm surprised that neither Nummelin nor Berg have been mentioned. It seems like Petteri Nummelin was a big part of the success team Finland had both in the Olympics and the world championships. While Berg has always seemed to be a favorite of the Team Finland organizers.
Westerlund is gone, so an uninspired Berg is out of consideration. Nummelin is a really good world champs defenseman, but unless one of the more offensively skilled defensemen on there gets hurt, he's definately on the sidelines.

Quote:
Up front, I'm surprised that some previous posters are quick to dismiss Ville Peltonen. It seems like he was a big part of Team Finland's success in the past as well. And is well-suited for the international game. Similarly, I'd think Esa Pirnes would be considered as well.
Well, it should be noted that in the parts were the team can get younger and not lose much quality, it should do so.

Pirnes would be a pretty decent choice, but while I'd rather see a Pihlström, Bergenheim or a Jussi Jokinen above Peltonen, I would also like to see a Nokelainen rather than a Pirnes.