1969 was the first year that all qualifying amateurs were eligible to be drafted. There have been 40 players drafted #1 since then. Here's your chance to rank them all.
- This is not a "career achievements to-date" list. Many of the players are still active, so you'll have to use your judgment whether you think a young active player like Ovechkin will go onto greater glory than one like Lafleur whose resume is complete.
- Similarly for players that did have their careers cut short like Lindros and Kluzak, I'll let you decide how they should be viewed.
Results so far:
1. 1984, Mario Lemieux, F, Pit
2. 1971, Guy Lafleur, R, Mtl
3. 1973, Denis Potvin, D, NYI
4. 2004, Alexander Ovechkin, L, Was
5. 2005, Sidney Crosby, C, Pit
6. 1991, Eric Lindros, C, Que
7. 1970, Gilbert Perreault, C, Buf
8. 1981, Dale Hawerchuk, C, Wpg
9. 1988, Mike Modano, C, Min
10t. 1989, Mats Sundin, C, Que
10t. 2001, Ilya Kovalchuk, L, Atl
12. 1998, Vincent Lecavalier, C, TB
13. 1997, Joe Thornton, C, Bos
Please post the names you want added. Candidates:
1969, Regean Houle, R, Mtl
1974, Greg Joly, D, Was
1977, Dale McCourt, F, Det
1980, Doug Wickenheiser, C, Mtl
1982, Gord Kluzak, D, Bos
1983, Brian Lawton, L, Min
1986, Joe Murphy, R, Det
1993, Alexandre Daigle, R, Ott
1995, Bryan Berard, D, Ott
1996, Chris Phillips, D, Ott
1999, Patrik Stefan, C, Atl
2000, Rick DiPietro, G, NYI
2006, Erik Johnson, D, Stl
2008, Steven Stamkos, C, TB
Note: In the interests of moving this forward quickly, if a vote shows a clear separation between more than one player and the pack I'll take multiple players from a vote. There's no fixed # of players that will be taken from each vote.