HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who Would You Rather Trade: Crosby or Malkin

Old
05-14-2009, 09:38 AM
The Judge

vCash: 500
Who Would You Rather Trade: Crosby or Malkin

Assuming you can't keep both Crosby and Malkin who would you trade and why?

Curious to know from Hockey Fans in general.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Impossible question to answer, from a Pens fan's standpoint.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Jared Cowen

I find a way to keep both.

All in all, I'd keep Crosby. He puts more butts in the seats, hes the posterboy of the league, and hes more consistent in the playoffs (although both are great).

Jared Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Crimson Devil*

I would trade Crosby.

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Northern Neighbour

I would keep Crosby and trade Malkin. Crosby just does a bit more to help his team win than Malkin, who can be invisible at times. Both are great players, but Crosby has better intangibles.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:01 AM
wayne98

I would trade malkin, Crosby is the best player in the league, Malkin doesnt put the effort in that Crosby does. If Malkin put the same effort in his game, he might be better that crosby.. but for now i'll take crosby any day

wayne98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:06 AM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodILoveHockey View Post
Impossible question to answer, from a Pens fan's standpoint.
Good point. But as a GM if you have to do it because of cap space what would you trade who? Or keep both and dismantle the nuclues of the other aspects of the team?

Old
05-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
Good point. But as a GM if you have to do it because of cap space what would you trade who? Or keep both and dismantle the nuclues of the other aspects of the team?
They ARE the nucleus. There is no other real nucleus as much as everyone wants to talk about the core being this or that big. Staal, Fleury.... Everyone else can be replaced. Well, Sarge can't be replaced for now either really, but he is at an age where eventually we will have to.

Crosby when like this is the best player in the world. Malkin in his sophomore season was runner up for the Ross and Hart. This season he took the Ross and will most likely be runner up for the Hart again. Malkin probably has the highest ceiling of any of the three generational talents who led the league in scoring and continued to do so - so far - in the playoffs.

I refuse to answer this question .

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:12 AM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Trade Malkin. He's an incredible player, but he tends to disappear at times in the post season while Crosby continues to light it up. Keep the poster boy, he still can slip into his immature ways, but he's been pretty solid these past couple months. Gretzky was a whiner, does that take away from his skill?

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I would keep Crosby and trade Malkin. Crosby just does a bit more to help his team win than Malkin, who can be invisible at times. Both are great players, but Crosby has better intangibles.
This

Captain Conservative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Zal

Crosby is so clutch in the playoffs. There's just no possible way I'd ever consider dealing that guy.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:49 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zal View Post
Crosby is so clutch in the playoffs. There's just no possible way I'd ever consider dealing that guy.
Agreed. His numbers are great and he's playing even better then they illustrate. He seems to have better intangibles and a much more consistent drive then Malkin does which I think is hugely important if you have to choose between them.

With the way Staal is playing I'd consider moving Malkin for winger help and a defensive upgrade if I were the Pens

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:49 AM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAShoesm View Post
Trade Malkin. He's an incredible player, but he tends to disappear at times in the post season while Crosby continues to light it up. Keep the poster boy, he still can slip into his immature ways, but he's been pretty solid these past couple months. Gretzky was a whiner, does that take away from his skill?
Malkin may have the quietest 19 pts in the playoffs I've ever seen - he had 10 in 7 games against DC, hardly "invisible". I do think Malkin has the higher ceiling but Crosby is the more consistent force. Both are good in all 3 zones but I think Crosby has realized he needed to refine the technical aspects of his game, such as faceoffs, and Malkin still needs to catch up in some ways.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

If I'm forced into the situation, I would trade Malkin. I think he has a bigger upside than Crosby as far as still being able to get stronger and play with a big of a mean streak, as well as finding the "It" factor that Crosby has which enables him to bring his A game night in and night out. Also, they could both stand to shoot a lot more, but Malkin would benefit from that more than Crosby. I think he's a 50 goal guy if he just learns to be a little more selfish. That being said, Crosby is the face of the franchise, no matter who turns out to be a better player, and he brings 110% effort every single second of every single shift.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:51 AM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
They ARE the nucleus. There is no other real nucleus as much as everyone wants to talk about the core being this or that big. Staal, Fleury.... Everyone else can be replaced. Well, Sarge can't be replaced for now either really, but he is at an age where eventually we will have to.

Crosby when like this is the best player in the world. Malkin in his sophomore season was runner up for the Ross and Hart. This season he took the Ross and will most likely be runner up for the Hart again. Malkin probably has the highest ceiling of any of the three generational talents who led the league in scoring and continued to do so - so far - in the playoffs.

I refuse to answer this question .
You're right. But I did not mean nucleus in that sense.

What I mean is, how would you be able to sign other players without SACRIFICING other areas of your team?... do you have cap space?

In your case, it's either the following:
a - Keep both at the expense of other players in the roster at all costs.
b - You just don't want to deal with it.

If you trade either wouldn't you be better off in the long run - IF YOU HAVE TO TRADE either one?

Old
05-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
Agreed. His numbers are great and he's playing even better then they illustrate. He seems to have better intangibles and a much more consistent drive then Malkin does which I think is hugely important if you have to choose between them.

With the way Staal is playing I'd consider moving Malkin for winger help and a defensive upgrade if I were the Pens
I agree 100% with the bolded assessment. The Pens could get a huge package for Malkin, while simultaneously lowering their cap total as well. This would give them room to go after a guy like Gaborik or even Hossa.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:59 AM
8BostonRocker24

I'd move Malkin.

I like him better but that doesn't mean ****. Crosby is the complete package, he is the closest thing to Joe Sakic I have seen in 10 years.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:36 PM
angelgirl77

I would rather jump off a bridge. Impossible decision.

angelgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:40 PM
TMcG40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
Assuming you can't keep both Crosby and Malkin who would you trade and why?

Curious to know from Hockey Fans in general.
id keep Crosby more North Americans can relate to him through his interviews and suck and he is a flat-out better player

TMcG40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

I'd take Crosby.. Both are GREAT... But you know, you have the Canadian kid factor, poster boy of the league, and so on and so on...

Skill wise? Damn.. These two will be right next to each other season after season

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Crosby in a heartbeat.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 625
Definitely trade Crosby...To Edmonton that is

Hemsky, Gagner, Gilbert, Eberle, 10th Pick.

Last edited by Ghostbuster: 05-14-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Is Crosby better? Maybe. But I have no doubt he would garner more in a trade, so perhaps if they were forced to, it would make more sense to trade Crosby and get more out of the deal.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Kshahdoo

Hehe it looks like most people on HF have memory as long as a butterfly life. They remember just a few last days and nothing more. Geno is the main reason Pens are still playing this postseason...

Kshahdoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 05:58 PM
ComixZone

I'd trade Malkin.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote