HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Washington - Toronto

Old
05-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Cool Hand Luke

vCash: 500
Washington - Toronto

I personally think the one piece the Caps are missing (beyond a seasoned goaltender) is a PMD. Yes, you guys have Alzner, but he's very young and inexperienced. Last night, that lack of a puck-mover was painfully evident, in my humble opinion.

Obviously there will be opportunity for the Caps to grab this PMD in through free-agency, but the competition will be tough. Plus, I'm not sure if the Caps could afford a 5 - 7 million dollar d-man, which is what it probably will cost for the likes of Bouwmeester or Niedermayer.

IF the Caps come away empty handed after free-agency, would you guys consider the following trade in late August early September?

To Washington:
Kaberle (4.25M for two seasons)

To Toronto:
John Carlson
Eric Fehr
1st Round Pick 2010

I don't think asking for Alzner is realistic, so Carlson is definitely the next best thing. By the time the Leafs compete, Carlson will help us out immensely. Fehr could maybe use a change of scenery, and Doug Wilson might get more out of him than Boudreau is. And the 1st will likely be a high first (25 - 30).

I can't even imagine Kaberle setting up Green! Don't forget, McCabe looked like Bobby Orr a few years ago playing beside this guy.

Thoughts?

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I personally think the one piece the Caps are missing (beyond a seasoned goaltender) is a PMD. Yes, you guys have Alzner, but he's very young and inexperienced. Last night, that lack of a puck-mover was painfully evident, in my humble opinion.

IF the Caps come away empty handed after free-agency, would you guys consider the following trade in late August early September?

To Washington:

To Toronto:
John Carlson
Eric Fehr
1st Round Pick 2010

Thoughts?

To Washington:
Kaberle
Kubina

To Toronto:
Nylander
Carlson
Fehr
1st Round pick 2009

But even then, Nylander would have to waive his NMC.

Captain Conservative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Scrambllllle

Quote:
I'm not sure if the Caps could afford a 5 - 7 million dollar d-man,
They can't afford 5 but can afford 4.25?

Scrambllllle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Roo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative View Post
To Washington:
Kaberle
Kubina

To Toronto:
Nylander
Carlson
Fehr
1st Round pick 2009

No thanks LOL

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambllllle View Post
They can't afford 5 but can afford 4.25?
2 years/ 4.25m < 4 years/ 5M by 1.5 mil. Good luck getting any UFA to sign less than a 4 year deal.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:37 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

For any Toronto/Washington deal....I'd rather focus on Kubina, personally.

And until some Washington contracts are decided upon...not sure much can be done in terms of big name trades coming in with nothing of substance going out. We're assuming Fedorov, Kozlov, and Brashear are not returning...so that's over $7 million of space freeing up but that's also 3 forward positions that need to be filled either internally or externally.

Nylander is sucking 4.875 million of cap space down the tubes.

Some RFA's are going to be looking at raises or QO's...Morrisonn, Jurcina, Schultz, Gordon, Fehr.

With the Cap either staying the same or potentially going down...it's going to be tough to see the Caps making a move like this without another contract going the other way.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

I assume if Washington wants to move Nylander (dump him on the Leafs), they'd have to part with Alzner. Nylander is just horrendous.

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 11:14 AM
DougGilmour93

Does Washington have a 1st in 09?

If the do I'd suggest this...

To Caps:
Kaberle
2nd in 09

To Leafs:
Fehr
Carlson
1st in 09

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 12:06 PM
seanlinden

I (along with problably the entire hockey world) watched the Caps-Pens series with a lot of interest.... and doing a post-mortem on the situation I'm not sure a puck moving defenecman is really what they need to make the team ready to succeed in the playoffs; because face it -- in the last 2 years they have won 1 playoff series, and it was against a very disfunctional New York Rangers team.

The problems I saw with the caps were the following:

1. Coaching & Leadership - This team did not know how to play as a unit of 5 players. Everything was individualist, and Ovechkin just ran out of gas.

2. Their puck movers played poorly. Mike Green is a great puck mover when playing well. Poti, Pothier & Morrisonn aren't bad with the puck either.

3. Their forwards on the top 2 lines were perhaps not a great mesh. Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Fedorov, Kozlov and Fleischmann are all guys who are successful when they are playing with the puck. None would be defined as a guy who really creates space for his linemates.

In terms of what the caps should look at for next season; I think they've gotta try and bring in at least 1 big name defensive guy to hopefully give Green some more freedom (if they could get Bouwmeester that would be incredible, but it might be tough with the cap). I think a blueline that has Green - ? - Poti - Morrisionn - Jurcina - Erskine as the top 6 would be successful. Kubina is the ideal fit here.

Up front, I think they've gotta look to acquire a bit of size in the top 6 to take the physical pressure off of Ovechkin. If I'm the Caps I'd go hard after guys like Todd Bertuzzi & Nik Antropov to play on the 2nd line with Semin & Fleischmann (assuming he goes back to centre). Perhaps they get both and one plays with Ovechkin & Backstrom.

Finally, I think they've gotta acquire some leadership somewhere in the lineup with a guy whose won the cup. Whehter that be through one of the 3 players they need to pick up, or to bump one of Bradley-Steckel-Laich to hte 4th line.

Of course cap space becomes a pretty big issue because they've got $45million committed to 14 players. Say they've got $9m to spend, about $6 will go to that pair of forwards. Move Pothier and resign Morrisionn and Jurcina for a combined $4.5million.... and thats an additional $8.5 spent on 3 more players... it doesn't really work. The solution seems to be move Theodore and sign a cheap backup like Anderson so that you can fill out the rest of the roster.

I think the trade to be had is something along the lines of Carlson/Alzner + the 2010 first rounder (this will only occur after UFAs like Beauchemin are gone) + Theodore + Nylander for Kubina, Stralman (to replace the loss of prospect defenceman). Washington would also put themselves in a position to keep Kubina for around $4.5 when the cap falls next year.

In terms of what the leafs do, Theodore is backup to Toskala (we've got loads of cap space for this yeaR). Hopefully with Nylander we can work out an arrangement that sees him go back to the Czech league (still paying him full NHL salary) to avoid embarassment; or else we just healthy scratch him and buy him out in the 2010 offseason when his buyout will only cost $1million for 2 years.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:10 PM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
I (along with problably the entire hockey world) watched the Caps-Pens series with a lot of interest.... and doing a post-mortem on the situation I'm not sure a puck moving defenecman is really what they need to make the team ready to succeed in the playoffs; because face it -- in the last 2 years they have won 1 playoff series, and it was against a very disfunctional New York Rangers team.

The problems I saw with the caps were the following:

1. Coaching & Leadership - This team did not know how to play as a unit of 5 players. Everything was individualist, and Ovechkin just ran out of gas.

2. Their puck movers played poorly. Mike Green is a great puck mover when playing well. Poti, Pothier & Morrisonn aren't bad with the puck either.

3. Their forwards on the top 2 lines were perhaps not a great mesh. Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Fedorov, Kozlov and Fleischmann are all guys who are successful when they are playing with the puck. None would be defined as a guy who really creates space for his linemates.

In terms of what the caps should look at for next season; I think they've gotta try and bring in at least 1 big name defensive guy to hopefully give Green some more freedom (if they could get Bouwmeester that would be incredible, but it might be tough with the cap). I think a blueline that has Green - ? - Poti - Morrisionn - Jurcina - Erskine as the top 6 would be successful. Kubina is the ideal fit here.

Up front, I think they've gotta look to acquire a bit of size in the top 6 to take the physical pressure off of Ovechkin. If I'm the Caps I'd go hard after guys like Todd Bertuzzi & Nik Antropov to play on the 2nd line with Semin & Fleischmann (assuming he goes back to centre). Perhaps they get both and one plays with Ovechkin & Backstrom.

Finally, I think they've gotta acquire some leadership somewhere in the lineup with a guy whose won the cup. Whehter that be through one of the 3 players they need to pick up, or to bump one of Bradley-Steckel-Laich to hte 4th line.

Of course cap space becomes a pretty big issue because they've got $45million committed to 14 players. Say they've got $9m to spend, about $6 will go to that pair of forwards. Move Pothier and resign Morrisionn and Jurcina for a combined $4.5million.... and thats an additional $8.5 spent on 3 more players... it doesn't really work. The solution seems to be move Theodore and sign a cheap backup like Anderson so that you can fill out the rest of the roster.

I think the trade to be had is something along the lines of Carlson/Alzner + the 2010 first rounder (this will only occur after UFAs like Beauchemin are gone) + Theodore + Nylander for Kubina, Stralman (to replace the loss of prospect defenceman). Washington would also put themselves in a position to keep Kubina for around $4.5 when the cap falls next year.

In terms of what the leafs do, Theodore is backup to Toskala (we've got loads of cap space for this yeaR). Hopefully with Nylander we can work out an arrangement that sees him go back to the Czech league (still paying him full NHL salary) to avoid embarassment; or else we just healthy scratch him and buy him out in the 2010 offseason when his buyout will only cost $1million for 2 years.
This post has a few glaring problems.

1. Mo and Jurcina will never be resigned for a whopping 4.5 million. That's far too much.

2. TO would never eat Nylander and Theo contracts just to get Alzner. Not that Alzner would be moved just to be rid of Theo and Nylander's contracts.

3. My personal favorite - Nylander while I am sure a huge fan of Prague is in fact Swedish and has never played in the Czech Elite Leagues. I am sure you just meant getting him to go back to his home country, but it struck me as hilarious.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 04:31 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative View Post
To Washington:
Kaberle
Kubina

To Toronto:
Nylander
Carlson
Fehr
1st Round pick 2009

I'd do Kaberle OR Kubina + maybe Poni or Stajan for that package, but definitely not our top to defensemen.

Adding Nylander to the deal doesn't entice Toronto to throw in Kubina. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Nylander a scratch for most of the playoffs?

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 04:38 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
There's no way Toronto takes Nylander AND Theodore off your hands and trades their best overall defensman and defensive prospect for Alzner and a 1st in 2010.

Even the Leafs wouldn't be willing to pay 9M+ for a back-up goalie and a questionable 3rd liner.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
something along the lines of Carlson/Alzner + the 2010 first rounder (this will only occur after UFAs like Beauchemin are gone) + Theodore + Nylander for Kubina, Stralman (to replace the loss of prospect defenceman).
Ugh, thats just awful. Make that Carlson AND Alzner and Toronto considers it.

Nizdizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Quote:

Obviously there will be opportunity for the Caps to grab this PMD in through free-agency, but the competition will be tough. Plus, I'm not sure if the Caps could afford a 5 - 7 million dollar d-man, which is what it probably will cost for the likes of Bouwmeester or Niedermayer.

To Washington:

To Toronto:
John Carlson
Eric Fehr
1st Round Pick 2010

I don't think asking for Alzner is realistic, so Carlson is definitely the next best thing. By the time the Leafs compete, Carlson will help us out immensely. Fehr could maybe use a change of scenery, and Doug Wilson might get more out of him than Boudreau is. And the 1st will likely be a high first (25 - 30).

I can't even imagine Kaberle setting up Green! Don't forget, McCabe looked like Bobby Orr a few years ago playing beside this guy.

Thoughts?
thats real high

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Grow up...its high meaning the number of the pick is a high number.

Sorry I didn't use the proper "chat board nomenclature". Good thing we've got guys like you pointing out stupid details on random threads without contributing anything to the actual discussion. Do you want a prize or a merit badge? /endrant

Old
05-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It's the same goddamned proposal every three days. How about a little variety to at least spice it up a bit?

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 10:10 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
It's the same goddamned proposal every three days. How about a little variety to at least spice it up a bit?
I'm just glad Antropov isn't involved anymore.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Ugh, thats just awful. Make that Carlson AND Alzner and Toronto considers it.
Alzner and Carlson for Kubina and Stralman?

What are you smoking.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Cool Hand Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Sorry, I thought I had something new here. I never see Carlson involved, its always Alzner, and the first for 2010. You guys are tough to please.