HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Do You Think Of GMGM Now?

Old
05-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Atlas

vCash: 500
What Do You Think Of GMGM Now?

I'm a long-time supporter of GMGM. He has done a lot of good work here. His trading has been excellent. But he has really struggled to build the defense. Paying Green so much money looks like a mistake today (though that can certainly change). Green was not exactly Ray Bourque out there against the Rags and Pens.

Not signing Huet was obviously smart. Varly is the real deal.

Getting no help (Bill Geurin?) at the deadline looks really bad today. Salary cap trouble. But who is responsible for that?

Other than AO, the Caps were soft.

I don't know of anyone who would be better. But I'm not as confident in GMGM as I'd like to be.

Thoughts?

PS- the officiating was AWFUL in the Pens favor. It was a joke. How do you overcome that?

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 02:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

My opinion of him has not changed whatsoever as a result of the playoffs.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:02 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

I said it the day it happened...Mafki not upgrading at the deadline would be his mistake this season and cost the team a lengthy run. Not that he could do much with the Nylander albatross...but relying on Clark and Pothier as the deadline acquisitions got the team as far as they are going to go (along with Varlamov's play)

A 14 game playoff run is still a successful season.

This offseason however...is when he needs to make some noise. Next year they are looking at a team that should contend for the Cup. No first or 2nd round exits.

Final four or fail.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:02 PM
The Viking Fury

GMGM is fine. I think everyone is fine until the team regresses. They built off last year and are in position to stay a contender for awhile. Yes we'd all like Pronger, but at the deadline they were asking for Alzner, Carlson, Varlamov, etc. They took the defending Eastern Champs to game 7 in round 2. They closed out a Round of the playoffs and should know what it takes to go further. But if theres a slide next year then heads will start to roll. That said, I think there will be some movement on draft day.

Green was injured, and the still injured Green was probably better than playing Schultz or Sloan. Alzner is injured too. I think the call-up was to disguise that initially.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Hot Carlson

The only thing I fault him for is not getting Guerin. Especially after he helped beat us.

I don't fault him for not picking up any D at the deadline, there were no impact players and anyone that did trade for a D gave up too much for them. Morris, Leopold...these guys provided minimal impact and their teams went out in the 1st round. He could instill a lot of good will by getting an impact Dman this summer. Ohlund? Kubina? On top of that, I think we need to see what Alzner and Carlson can do before we declare that GMGM can't build the defense. Shoring up the defense via free agency is a MUST, though. If he doesn't do that, he doesn't get it.

A monkey could have drafted Ovechkin, and maybe Backstrom, but Green, Carlson and Varlamov were all sneaky late-1st round picks. Fehr and Schultz, so far, are busts but no GM is perfect.

He also made the moves a year ago that helped the Caps surge into the playoffs. I seem to recall most people liking the Nylander signing at the time. No way he could have foreseen that.

The team had maybe its best season ever, won 50 games, scored 108 points...it doesn't make sense to shake things up at the top unless the team takes a step backward next year.

I see no reason for him to go.

Last edited by Hot Carlson: 05-14-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Hot Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:05 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

The Caps have as much talent in the system, top to bottom, as anyone in the entire league. It's just not all ready yet. In 4-5 years, this team could look like this, and still be too young:

Ovie-Backstrom-???
Semin-Gustafsson-Laich
???-???-Osala
Gordon-Steckel-????

Alzner-Green
???-Carlson
Finley-????

Varlamov
Neuvirth

With countless prospects or current players who we drafted filling in the possible question marks, to say nothing of possible free agents or trades. All but Laich (edit: and Steckel) that I typed out was drafted. GMGM deserves a lot of credit, it hasn't been all Ovie. Backstrom. Semin. Alzner. Green. He's done a good job the last few years. Patience. It's gonna be a hell of team. Just not yet.

05-14-2009, 03:06 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

If I saw him on the street, I'd hug him.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:11 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
The Caps have as much talent in the system, top to bottom, as anyone in the entire league. It's just not all ready yet. In 4-5 years, this team could look like this, and still be too young:

Ovie-Backstrom-???
Semin-Gustafsson-Laich
???-???-Osala
Gordon-Steckel-????

Alzner-Green
???-Carlson
Finley-????

Varlamov
Neuvirth

With countless prospects or current players who we drafted filling in the possible question marks, to say nothing of possible free agents or trades. All but Laich that I typed out was drafted. GMGM deserves a lot of credit, it hasn't been all Ovie. Backstrom. Semin. Alzner. Green. He's done a good job the last few years. Patience. It's gonna be a hell of team. Just not yet.
Sorry to keep quoting your posts, but to borrow a phrase from Pierre Mccguire, you are "bang-on."

Also, let's not forget Bourque, Bouchard, Kugryshev, Seabrook, Della Rovere, Holtby, Perreault, Godfrey etc., all with at least a decent shot to be contributors at the NHL level. Not all will make it, but it's a safe bet to assume that at least some of them will. This organization is TALENT LADEN. He deserves credit for that.

TheFountainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:14 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
If I saw him on the street, I'd hug him.
lol!

GMGM, IMO, has done a good job with the rebuild. Better drafting has a great young core on this team. Last year made some nice deadline moves but this year limited by the cap as well as the players they wanted weren't available ultimately.

All that being said this is a critical off season for him. Last two seasons are showing the arc of improvement and anything but a conference finals next season... (barring any crazy unforseen injury thing happening next season).

05-14-2009, 03:16 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

As long as GMGM finds a way to ditch Nylander to resign Backstrom and Semin, he's cool with me.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:33 PM
txpd

Whats the deal here? I guess its typical. They won game 1 and so were to cruise to a series win. They lose game 3 and they suck. They lost a 7 game 2nd round to a team with a couple years more developement and so the meltdown starts.

Fire McPhee, Boudreau can't coach. $5m for a 23 year old D that scored more goals in less than 70 games than even Bobby Orr was a mistake. Talk about soft. This is a hoot.

The team is just not ready yet. Kolzig didnt last to 40 and Varlamov was not ready yet. They were not going to win the Stanley Cup with a 21 year old rook that doesnt have 10 NHL regular season games under his belt.

Get a grip.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Langway
Intangibles

The playoffs didn't really cement anything that wasn't clear before then. He could do a better job of addressing the defense overall as well as putting together a better blend of forwards up front in terms of both style and experience.

He and his staff's drafting seems to be getting better overall but there still seems to be some weak areas that they have failed to be able to identify, draft and develop on their own. That's led to an excess in other areas and if he's lucky and shrewd enough he can deal from those areas to fill areas of weakness via trade this summer.

Last edited by Langway: 05-14-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Chokingdogs

pretty much the same thing i've been thinking for the past, oh i dont know, 7 or 8 years.

this latest playoff series debacle hasnt made anything better or worse in my mind. i guess i shouldnt say, series, rather the game 7 debacle.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
We made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, we were one of 8 teams to still be in the playoffs out of 30. He's done a great job in the rebuild.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
the goal was to make the second round of the playoffs and win a series.

had that not happened, you would hear complaints from me. Since it did happen, he gets decent/good marks. Sure, I would have liked some leadership, grit or a defenseman, but not at the cost.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 04:07 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

I said it the day it happened...Mafki not upgrading at the deadline would be his mistake this season and cost the team a lengthy run. Not that he could do much with the Nylander albatross...but relying on Clark and Pothier as the deadline acquisitions got the team as far as they are going to go (along with Varlamov's play)

A 14 game playoff run is still a successful season.

This offseason however...is when he needs to make some noise. Next year they are looking at a team that should contend for the Cup. No first or 2nd round exits.

Final four or fail.
I'm with you....

Anyways....expectations exceeded, but McPhee failed dramatically in picking up depth and experience for a playoff run. The D is STILL a GLARING issue 10 years after McPhee took over this team. Fix the D by acquiring a top pair defender or fire him for not doing it.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 04:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post

had that not happened, you would hear complaints from me. Since it did happen, he gets decent/good marks. Sure, I would have liked some leadership, grit or a defenseman, but not at the cost.

What cost exactly would you have balked at?

Was it the conditional 2nd rounder for Geurin?

Was it the 2nd and the 3rd for Schneider and a 3rd?

There were a slew of others who were traded for scrubs.

This myth of cost is just that. MYTH. Sure, Pronger would have cost too much, but there were alternatives.

Old
05-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
I'm with you....

Anyways....expectations exceeded, but McPhee failed dramatically in picking up depth and experience for a playoff run. The D is STILL a GLARING issue 10 years after McPhee took over this team. Fix the D by acquiring a top pair defender or fire him for not doing it.
What was he supposed to do? We were up against the Cap. Pothier coming off of LTIR was the depth pick-up.

Old
05-14-2009, 04:16 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Here's one question everyone should be asking themselves with regards to McPhee's performance.

Without the luck of landing the #1 pick and the no brainer selection of Ovechkin, where would this team be? I contend that this team wouldn't even be a playoff team right now without Ovechkin. To me, that doesn't say a lot for McPhee's results.

Old
05-14-2009, 04:16 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
What was he supposed to do? We were up against the Cap. Pothier coming off of LTIR was the depth pick-up.
And who's fault is that?!!?!? One man....McPhee.

Old
05-14-2009, 04:17 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
What cost exactly would you have balked at?

Was it the conditional 2nd rounder for Geurin?

Was it the 2nd and the 3rd for Schneider and a 3rd?

There were a slew of others who were traded for scrubs.

This myth of cost is just that. MYTH. Sure, Pronger would have cost too much, but there were alternatives.
The cost was the cost to dump salary. We couldn't have taken Guerin for a pick even if we wanted to, unless a deal for Nylander went through (which it obviously didn't).

Would you have traded Semin just to pick up Guerin? How about Poti + Morrisonn?

The only guy you could realistically expect to drop for Guerin without seeing a huge drop in on-ice effectiveness, maybe, is Fedorov, but the whole reason we paid him so much is for his locker room presence, especially in the playoffs. That would have been a non-starter.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 04:18 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Then complain about that instead of setting up the straw man that we chose not to pick up someone like Guerin for a song.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
If Mcphee would have let Green walk or not sign a #1 goalie this off-season everybody will be mad at him. He resigned the guys he had to.

Old
05-14-2009, 04:19 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post

Which should irk everyone.

I've never heard of a great team with that plodding mentality.

You set a bar low and you do just enough to reach it.

Many slammed McPhee's failure to add D and leadership at the deadline, and that's exactly what cost them in the end. But none of us know what his options were.

If he can get rid of Nyles and bring in a few quality players, I'll be very positive.

If he believes (or tries to sell) Chris Clark and Brian Pothier as "replacements already on the roster", then I'll begin to jump ship on the guy.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Do people realize the Caps were against the cap and couldn't add anybody at the deadline?