HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI - TORONTO (no, not Tavares)

Old
05-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schenn29 View Post
Where do you buy your crack?

Probably in the same place Brian Burke gets his!

05-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Streit is very good, but he's not better than Kaberle.

Kaberle had a down year last year, but he's more underrated than overrated on here by everyone but the Leafs' fans.

I actually agree with this. From my perspective, Kaberle is an elite playmaker who is good in his own zone (at his best). He is a pretty solid two-way player, although not very physical. The issue with him on this board (I think) is a reaction against the hype from Toronto fans and media.

I do think he that last season was pretty bad though, on a lot of levels. He just looked disinterested most nights.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 07:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I actually agree with this.
Me too. Overrated by Leafs fans, and underrated by everyone else.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 07:12 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:

Kaberle had a down year last year, but he's more underrated than overrated on here by everyone but the Leafs' fans.
everyone will see that next year when he plays on a team where he is content. He's also much better when he play with quality forwards. There is a big difference between setting up stajan or poni vs sundin or mogilny. If he goes to a team like PIT of PHI, for WHATEVER don't be surprised to see him score upwards of 70 pts. Then we will all debate how good he really is.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Falcons93

Quote:

I don't know if I agree that Kaberle is better than Streit, but they are both very good. I think they're both pretty underrated here, Streit in the sense that he isn't normally acknowledged for his play due to the fact he's on the Islanders, and Kaberle in the sense that everyone here acts like he's worth a bag of pucks for no good reason at all. Sure the guy had an off season, but he's easily a top 10 offensive defenceman in the NHL right now. The trade proposal was just very poor though, as the Islanders have absolutely no need for Kaberle since they have Streit. Furthermore, the deal doesn't really make sense for the Islanders because they are rebuilding and looking for young talent, and their 2010 first will more than likely be in the top 5 again.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 07:16 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
Mark Streit is one of the best d-men in the league. He is not overrated, he's way better than the HF overrated Kaberle.
I love this debate!

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...Kaberle+Streit

P.S. - Proposal sucks.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 07:16 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Me too. Overrated by Leafs fans, and underrated by everyone else.
very true. He is a lot better then most say he is, But I would never put him on the ice against the teams top line. 20-22 mins, ALL of the PP time. He is one of those defensemen that is good at breaking up forechecks because he can move the puck accuratly and very fast. But not the guy you want trying to stop Syd, OV, Getzlaf. Sort of a 2b guy on a real cup contender.

Old
05-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by awright1393 View Post
very true. He is a lot better then most say he is, But I would never put him on the ice against the teams top line. 20-22 mins, ALL of the PP time. He is one of those defensemen that is good at breaking up forechecks because he can move the puck accuratly and very fast. But not the guy you want trying to stop Syd, OV, Getzlaf. Sort of a 2b guy on a real cup contender.

I wouldn't want to match Kaberle against a power foward type, because hasn't got the physical game to contain a guy like Getzlaf or Ovenchicken. However, I think he can log big minutes against a more finese oriented forward. In addition to being a wonderful skater, Kaberle sees the ice well and is solid positionally.

Old
05-14-2009, 07:30 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
I wouldn't want to match Kaberle against a power foward type, because hasn't got the physical game to contain a guy like Getzlaf or Ovenchicken. However, I think he can log big minutes against a more finese oriented forward. In addition to being a wonderful skater, Kaberle sees the ice well and is solid positionally.
like minds darth. The only way I think he gets a lot of ice time, is on a high octane team like PIT, DET or WAS. Only because he would constantly have intelligent and skilled forwards to pass to, that play in an offensive system. Actually, if he played in DET, he'd be incredible with Lidstrom, but who wouldn't.

Old
05-14-2009, 07:54 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy17 View Post
To NYI:
Tomas Kaberle
Jimmy Hayes

TO TORONTO
NYI 1st rounder 2010
NYI 2nd rounder 2009 (31st Overall)
The isles are in a major rebuild with youngsters.They aren't trading away 1st or high 2nd rounders for 31/32 yr old Kaberle.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Dark Knight
ScorchedEarthRebuild

Quote:
A deal in which Toronto loots Isles youth for an overrated 30+ YO dman?

Not sure why, but this feels oddly familiar.
How is Kaberle an overrated defenseman ?

He makes less than he deserves. He can quarterback a powerplay with ease, and better than most defensemen in the league. Just because Leafs fans want to trade him doesnt mean he's overrated. The only reason they want to trade him is so that rebuild can be implemented full force.

He's still a very useful defenseman, who's a top 2 on most in the league. No way in hell is he overrated !

That said, I dont believe New York will give up that package for him. I'm fair when I look at what we can get back for him. A 1st rounder (mid to late first) and a good prospect can be easily attained. However, with Kaberle's abilities its no surprise Burke has voiced his opinion on keeping him and making him part of the solution going forward.

I will, infact, raise a point that many have started to underappreciate Kaberle's abilities out there.

05-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsabil View Post
How is Kaberle an overrated defenseman ?

He makes less than he deserves. He can quarterback a powerplay with ease, and better than most defensemen in the league. Just because Leafs fans want to trade him doesnt mean he's overrated. The only reason they want to trade him is so that rebuild can be implemented full force.

He's still a very useful defenseman, who's a top 2 on most in the league. No way in hell is he overrated !
Read above. Most of us think he is seriously overrated by Leaf fans and media, and seriously underrated by everybody else.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:36 PM
JT 91 NYI*

Why would any team thats rebuilding make a trade like this?

Besides, we already have Mark Streit, a better version of Kaberle

JT 91 NYI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Mr Lahey*

Where do people think the Isles will finish next year?

I don't think in the bottom 10, but maybe I am overvaluing this years draftees.

That means a second rounder and a mid first rounder next year, for a prospect a lot people think could be underrated and an all star defenseman who makes 2-3 million less than defense who have put up similar stats in the last 5 years.

I really don't think it's that bad?

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Mr Lahey*

What if there was a condition on the pick next year.

If it's Top 10, Leafs throw in a 2nd rounder
If it's Top 5, Leafs throw in 2 2nds

Old
05-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Mr Lahey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWin View Post
This is worse than most of the Tavares proposals.
What do you mean? How?

Mark Streit doesn't have the first pass ability that teams covet. Few guys make a better first pass in the league, which contributes hugely to a break out/transition game.

Kaberle is in so many proposals that no one wants him but if he played for San Jose or Columbus people would be saying hes worth a high 1st + prospect. All we're getting for him in this deal is the first, which is a gamble because we don't even know how high it is.

Old
05-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
What if there was a condition on the pick next year.

If it's Top 10, Leafs throw in a 2nd rounder
If it's Top 5, Leafs throw in 2 2nds

Dude, give it a rest. The Isles don't want Kaberle. They're looking to rebuild with youth, hoarding picks, and carefully developing their prospects. There isnt' a deal to be had.

Flip this around: How pissed would you be if Toronto gave up their first and 2nd next year for Streit? Consider how dumb that would be, and then you'll realize why we all think this proposal is ridiculous.

Old
05-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Mr Lahey*

I've heard two sides of the story. One is that they want to hoarde picks and start to rebuild the farm; the second side is that they need to starting winning games and selling tickets because they are going downhill financially.

I was under the impression the Isles were looking to be a playoff team in the next few years, rather than pulling an L.A or Chi and building for 5-10 years (but building deep while at it).

So which is it?

Old
05-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
What do you mean? How?

Mark Streit doesn't have the first pass ability that teams covet. Few guys make a better first pass in the league, which contributes hugely to a break out/transition game.

Kaberle is in so many proposals that no one wants him but if he played for San Jose or Columbus people would be saying hes worth a high 1st + prospect. All we're getting for him in this deal is the first, which is a gamble because we don't even know how high it is.
Kind of curious that he had 40 assists then, eh?

Old
05-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Mr Lahey*

Quote:
Dude, give it a rest. The Isles don't want Kaberle. They're looking to rebuild with youth, hoarding picks, and carefully developing their prospects. There isnt' a deal to be had.

Flip this around: How pissed would you be if Toronto gave up their first and 2nd next year for Streit? Consider how dumb that would be, and then you'll realize why we all think this proposal is ridiculous.
Honestly, if Toronto was drafting Tavares or Hedman this year, and were getting a prospect of Hayes' potential, I wouldn't be that pissed. I love Streit, unfortunately we don't need him on our D.

We don't have Bruno Gervais as our #2, and we also aren't in any rush to rebuild.

The whole purpose of this proposal though was based on reading people saying islanders need to start filling the seats now, and JT/VH aren't going to give you enough wins to start this.

Also, Kaberle is respected, and might help a team bring in some UFA's.

Old
05-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I've heard two sides of the story. One is that they want to hoarde picks and start to rebuild the farm; the second side is that they need to starting winning games and selling tickets because they are going downhill financially.

I was under the impression the Isles were looking to be a playoff team in the next few years, rather than pulling an L.A or Chi and building for 5-10 years (but building deep while at it).

So which is it?
It doens't matter which it is. The Isles don't want Kaberle. Kaberle has been the lynch pin of one of the worst defenses in the NHL for three years now. He is far from being a guy who will drag a bad team into the playoffs. So, if you want to make the playoffs now, this is not the guy to acquire.

And, of course, at the age of 31 with just two years on the contract, he makes no sense for the future.

But, just for your information, the Isles want to build with youth not trade for vets in a desperate attempt to sneak into the playoffs.

Old
05-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Mr Lahey*

Quote:
Kind of curious that he had 40 assists then, eh?
He's a great play maker, and he gets a lot of assists off rebound goals. But I'm talking about the break out. Plus, he can only be on for half the game. Streit does control the puck though when he is out there.

Perhaps Kabs isn't the best fit then.

Cowen would be a great fit from this years draft on the Islander's blueline, but obviously getting that second top 5 pick would be too costly for any team.

edit - spelling + added second paragraph

Last edited by Mr Lahey*: 05-14-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old
05-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Mr Lahey*

Toronto's d issues run a lot deeper than Kaberle.

Oh well...now if only we could flip him for Colton Tuebert...hehe.

Old
05-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Toronto's d issues run a lot deeper than Kaberle.

Oh well...now if only we could flip him for Colton Tuebert...hehe.

Totally OT: Are those you kid in the avatar? Pretty cute little fellows!

Old
05-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Mr Lahey*

Quote:
Totally OT: Are those you kid in the avatar? Pretty cute little fellows!
Haha, not my kids. I spent a few months teaching in Africa this past year, I was helping take care of those maniacs between classes. One of em stole my watch!