HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Bernier Re-Signs - $4 million Over 2 Years

Old
05-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripwyre View Post
Burrows scored at a 50+ goal clip once put on the Sedin line. He will absolutely be back in the top six next season, it's a no brainer.
I agree, if the twins are brought back. The Sedins and Burrows formed one of the top even strength lines in the NHL. They were dominant 5 on 5.

In a salary cap world you often need at least one cheap forward on each of your top 2 lines. You just can't afford to have 6 high priced offensive players in the lineup, especially with a $7mil goalie.

If Burrows doesn't play well in that role give Kesler a shot. Unlike in the past I think Kesler could step in and really excel alongside the twins.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I agree, if the twins are brought back. The Sedins and Burrows formed one of the top even strength lines in the NHL. They were dominant 5 on 5.

In a salary cap world you often need at least one cheap forward on each of your top 2 lines. You just can't afford to have 6 high priced offensive players in the lineup, especially with a $7mil goalie.

If Burrows doesn't play well in that role give Kesler a shot. Unlike in the past I think Kesler could step in and really excel alongside the twins.
Not so much when they face the blackhawks during the post-season. I like Burrows but i expect him to score not more than 20 goals next year.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Tripwyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
Not so much when they face the blackhawks during the post-season.
Or, y'know, when they get slashed in the hands and break their wrists.

Tripwyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:14 PM
pitseleh

Even if Burrows is 'only' a ~20 goal scorer only playing ES minutes with the Sedins (with someone else picking up PP time with the Twins), that unit will probably still be on the ice for a similar number of goals as most other top forward units in the league at even strength, save for maybe the superhumans (Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, Datsyuk).

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:47 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Not a chance. In a cap world if you have a complimentary player that can play effectively in your top 6 (or a talented prospect) then you're set. Unless you want to put all your eggs in one basket and have one big first line.
No, I don't mean bring in a winger for the Sedins, I mean bring in a top 6 winger for the second line to strengthen it up.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Even if Burrows is 'only' a ~20 goal scorer only playing ES minutes with the Sedins (with someone else picking up PP time with the Twins), that unit will probably still be on the ice for a similar number of goals as most other top forward units in the league at even strength, save for maybe the superhumans (Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, Datsyuk).
But, how many unique goals would that be? Hmmmmmmmmm?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Not a chance. In a cap world if you have a complimentary player that can play effectively in your top 6 (or a talented prospect) then you're set. Unless you want to put all your eggs in one basket and have one big first line.
I totally agree -- with cap restrictions, it's a good move to try to find 3 scoring lines by distributing around your talent. You don't want to surround skilled guys with no one to pass to, or nobody to set them up, but Burrows with the Sedins is a really nice fit. Chicago did very well putting Brouwer up with Kane and Toews. You need to find combinations that work, but if you do, you're making things much more efficient.

Connecticut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:55 AM
dhabums*

Quote:
Not so much when they face the blackhawks during the post-season. I like Burrows but i expect him to score not more than 20 goals next year.
Are you the guy that started the legendary thread at CDC about Burrows?

dhabums* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:03 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhabums View Post
Are you the guy that started the legendary thread at CDC about Burrows?
my CDC account is Vancouvercanucks2010, i rarely starts threads over there.

Old
05-15-2009, 01:18 AM
B-rock

Why do people continue to doubt Burrows? He's proven you guys wrong every single time you've bet against him. If you had to actually put $1000 of your own hard earned money down against Burrows scoring at least 50 points next year, with the Sedins, would you do it? I sure as hell wouldn't.

He's proven his detractors wrong throughout his entire career. There's no reason to think he won't improve again next year. If anything, he's now got something to prove for next year's playoffs. He's the most motivated guy on the entire Canucks squad.

When you continually bet against something/someone only to have it/them continually prove you wrong, you should probably learn the lesson that is being presented to you!

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:41 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
Why do people continue to doubt Burrows? He's proven you guys wrong every single time you've bet against him. If you had to actually put $1000 of your own hard earned money down against Burrows scoring at least 50 points next year, with the Sedins, would you do it? I sure as hell wouldn't.

He's proven his detractors wrong throughout his entire career. There's no reason to think he won't improve again next year. If anything, he's now got something to prove for next year's playoffs. He's the most motivated guy on the entire Canucks squad.

When you continually bet against something/someone only to have it/them continually prove you wrong, you should probably learn the lesson that is being presented to you!
I don't know, Burrows is still my favourite player outside of Luongo, but 3 points in 10 playoff game just makes me doubt if he can get it done in a playoff series when most of the attention was on him.

Old
05-15-2009, 01:42 AM
timorousme
luongod

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't know, Burrows is still my favourite player outside of Luongo, but 3 points in 10 playoff game just makes me doubt if he can get it done in a playoff series when most of the attention was on him.
it was confirmed in the press conference today he had bone chips in his wrist, so there's that

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:47 AM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
it was confirmed in the press conference today he had bone chips in his wrist, so there's that
How classless of Burrows, stealing Naslund's excuse. Markus has that patented, man.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 02:15 AM
solitary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
If this is indeed true I think we're seeing the first benefits of the Burrows deal. They probably told Bernier he shouldn't make more than his good friend Burrows who has proven more, contributed more and plays a bigger role on the team.

This just solidifies their relationship as BFF's. Now they'll have to rock/paper/scissors over who pay's for the poutine.
hahaha, actually quite a funny post. Congrats Bernier.

Ya looks like not much room left for Hansen.

solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 02:17 AM
orcatown

Without the screw up with St. Louis, Bernier would never have received what he got. Was probably overpaid last year. This contract brings Bernier's salary much more in line with his accomplishments to date.

Bernier has some upside and helps provide some scoring on the PP and 3rd line..

Like some people said, nice to get this cleaned up quick and avoid the hassle of the RFA status and to deal with other issues with more awareness of your cap position.

Would like to try Hodgson with Raymond and Bernier next year.

Hopefully the Sedin issue gets dealt with with equal dispatch.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 04:12 AM
Bougieman

vCash: 200
I can't even believe that multiple people on this thread are saying burrows shouldn't be in our top 6. You are on the crack cocaine.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 04:20 AM
regretlesspanda

Not a bad deal. I think it works out well for both the club and Bernier.

And thank you the OP Vancouver_2010 for using "re-sign"; it makes me cringe every time I see "resign".

regretlesspanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 06:08 AM
Velociraptor

Welcome back Steve!

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:31 AM
MKennedy

$4million for 2 years is a pretty solid deal in my opinion. This kid is only going to get better.

MKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
I like it. I can't really imagine Bernier regressing as long as he stays motivated. He gets so many chances because he always goes to the dangerous areas. If starts to convert he might end up being the player everybody had hoped he would last summer.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Cocoa Crisp

Very good signing. I can see parallels with the Kesler extension and I'm equally optimistic that it'll pay off just as handsomely. What I like most about Bernier's game is his sustained intensity. That aspect will sustain him through his offensive dry spells. And if he can somehow find his hands while playing with that reckless abandon, look out!

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 10:31 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Without the screw up with St. Louis, Bernier would never have received what he got. Was probably overpaid last year. This contract brings Bernier's salary much more in line with his accomplishments to date.

Bernier has some upside and helps provide some scoring on the PP and 3rd line..

Like some people said, nice to get this cleaned up quick and avoid the hassle of the RFA status and to deal with other issues with more awareness of your cap position.

Would like to try Hodgson with Raymond and Bernier next year.

Hopefully the Sedin issue gets dealt with with equal dispatch.

I think that could be an interesting line to start Hodgson out with, play them as the 3rd. With Raymonds newfound defensive awareness, Berniers physical play it could be a solid starter. They are all reasonably young, could be a very nice fit.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Great deal for the Canucks. Keeps a great young player in the lineup and he's still a RFA at the end of this deal. He also has a ton of upside in my opinion.

I think with what Gillis had to work with when he got here, he's doing a good job of getting younger through drafting and picking up young players with talent and upside.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 10:35 AM
PuckMunchkin

wish it was a 3yr deal at a slightly higher rate... could see Bernier really come to his own in season or two.
He showed flashes of his potential this year...

Good signing never the less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
Yeah like last year the Sedins had " The Flu "

See what I did there?

PuckMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Flash Walken

Overpayment for what he brings.

I guess it doesn't really matter when you have 30 million in cap space, but every penny should count if you are a competent GM (who doesn't leave 3 million in cap space when gearing up for a playoff push).

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote