OFFICIAL 2009 free agent thread

Old
05-15-2009, 12:40 AM
clementnorman

vCash: 500
OFFICIAL 2009 free agent thread

Ohlund - TB
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283419

Last edited by Greek_physique: 07-01-2009 at 11:55 AM.
clementnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:41 AM
Cronuss

we'll get ****ed out of it somehow

Cronuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:08 AM
corpfan1

Would like to see one or two of the following on the team next year if possible...but would mean moving some salary (Bergeron, Kobasew, Sturm are possible moves).

Brian Gionta
Mike Cammalleri
John Madden
Bobby Holik
Mike Komisarek (lol)
Travis Moen
Derek Morris

All UFAs.

corpfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:12 AM
corpfan1

Dominic Moore would also easily replace Yelle or Axe as 4th line center.

Old
05-15-2009, 01:30 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpfan1 View Post
Would like to see one or two of the following on the team next year if possible...but would mean moving some salary (Bergeron, Kobasew, Sturm are possible moves).

Brian Gionta
Mike Cammalleri
John Madden
Bobby Holik
Mike Komisarek (lol)
Travis Moen
Derek Morris

All UFAs.
Wha???

Forget top tier UFAs, or for that matter even second level guys. Not unless trades are made to create some serious cap relief.

The Bruins aren't going to have much if anything to spend on UFAs once Krejci, Kessel, Hunwick and Bitz are re-signed and Tukka Rask joins the goalie tandem.

After that, the B's will have to figure out how they are going to replace one or two of Yelle, Axelsson, Reechi, Montador and Hnidy.

MeisterBruinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:46 AM
corpfan1

Bruins can afford 1 at least.

They don't have to pay Fernandez and can trade 1 or 2 guys with mid-level contracts.

Krejci and Kessel don't deserve more than 3M each - probably more like 2M.

Old
05-15-2009, 01:49 AM
corpfan1

Nevermind...just saw that Tukka Rask is getting 3.2M!!! Are you kidding me?

Old
05-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Harbinger04

drop to UFA: yelle, recchi, fernandez (frees up 7? million)

trade bergeron + ference for a 1st round pick (frees up 7? million)

resign kessel 5 million/4 years (still unproven, not constitent enough for more
resign krejci 4.5 million/3 years (savardish contract)
resign axy for league minimum/1 year (450k)

call up rask, sobotka, and a D prospect (5 million in contracts?)

kessel - savard - lucic
wheeler - krecji - ryder
sturm - Sobotka - kobasew
bitz - axy(i know he isnt a center) - thornton

chara - ward
wideman - stuart
Callup - montador
hnidy

thomas
rask

Harbinger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:59 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsftw! View Post
drop to UFA: yelle, recchi, fernandez (frees up 7? million)

trade bergeron + ference for a 1st round pick (frees up 7? million)

resign kessel 5 million/4 years (still unproven, not constitent enough for more
resign krejci 4.5 million/3 years (savardish contract)
resign axy for league minimum/1 year (450k)

call up rask, sobotka, and a D prospect (5 million in contracts?)

kessel - savard - lucic
wheeler - krecji - ryder
sturm - Sobotka - kobasew
bitz - axy(i know he isnt a center) - thornton

chara - ward
wideman - stuart
Callup - montador
hnidy

thomas
rask
WTF? Trade Bergeron and Ference for a 1st round pick??

Just insane.

MeisterBruinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 02:32 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

in reality the team shapes up a bit like this...

up front we have Savard who is the straw stirring the drink now signed for this year. We have Krecji as an rfa and Bergeron signed for 2 more years. Then we have Hamil and Marchard finishing their first year in the AHL and projecting as future NHLers all around to play center ice. Soderberg would compete for a spot here if he comes over and Kessel does view himself as a center too still. There is a log jam here that will have to sort itself out some. Imo Bergeron will be a misused asset if continued to be used on a third line. There is a question of cap space and whether we can afford to have 3 centers making 13-15 mill between them

On the wing we have a lot of good yummy options. Ryder bounced back this year... assuming Sturm comes back healthy these two guys are both signed for the next couple and are good for 25-30 goals. Kessel is going to be used on the wing if he comes back and showed he is a bonafide sniper this year. Lucic can be monster when he plays physical and Wheeler ran out of gas but showed oodles of upside potential most the season. Kobasew gives us an honest effort there for a reasonable price on a third line. Then we all saw good things from Thornton and Bitz while Sobotka floats around ready to fight for a spot too.

Depth up front is DEEP!!!! and GOOD!!!! the only real problem is cost and the cap... chances are someone will have to go to make room for the others to stay... but we dont need to be looking to bring in any new lead horse. This group led the league in scoring this year. It is a very good group.

Recchi, Axelsson, Yelle are the UFA likely to be let go... but it will probably come down to cost if any of them might stay. All are useful in their own limited way if the price is right.

The hole is likely to open up for a third line center if one of Kessel/Bergeron are let go for cap reasons. I think that Bergeron started his career on the wing and maybe has to go back to the wing now until he regains his scoring touch if we are to maximize our value from him. Maybe he will come back to camp totally healthy after a summer off... if so, then perhaps Savard becomes the guy moved... but in any case, Bergeron makes too much to be left in a third line job I think. If Bergeron is let go then the team should try to find a decent checking line center that is affordable to replace him. Mike Peca or Manny Malhotra out of Columbus would be two guys that might fit our budget... or of course Hamil or Marchard might come to camp and win the spot... maybe Soderberg...

We can always address this issue after the season starts if nothing is worked out sooner too... so no real huge panick up front.

On the blueline we just saw Chara have a Norris season and Wideman showed he is definitely a legit top 2 guy in this league. Stuart proved he can be counted on as a good part of a good top 6 rotation and is improving. Hunwick is a RFA who showed some very good signs too.

Ward and Ferrence add alot of character leadership and it cant be overestimated how this clubs personality changed overnight at deadline 2 years ago when these 2 were brought in. Maybe one could be let go now in the interest of trying to find a legit number 3 type dman possibly?

Not sure what the future holds for Montadore and Hindy but Im guessing one could be back at the right price to serve as a number 7 next year. I dont really see any of the kids in the system forcing an issue and making the team but that could always change.

On defense is really the only spot that Id really be looking at all to address in the UFA market or through a trade.

In goal Thomas was mr everything this year so we are happy there... and Rask will be the backup if he can be afforded. If not we will grab someone off the bargain shopping list. In either case, Thomas is being paid now to be the man so he is going to be the man.

It really is all good. if somehow we can afford to bring back everyone then we pretty much need no one else. The club ran out of gas a bit... but still went to overtime in game 7 this year as we paid our dues. Next year no one is over the hill, and everyone of our kids gets a year better. We are a team on ascension and this will have been a great learning experience.

I wouldnt mess a huge amount with team chemistry. If we absolutely have to deal someone like Savard/Bergeron/Kessel due to cap... then try to get the good quality affordable number 3 dman we need back in the trade... then sign someone like Peca or Malhotra to plug the hole up front... thats about it for moves this team should be considering making

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 02:52 AM
corpfan1

Great post.

Whatever we do, we must...

1- Sign up Krejci
2- Extend Lucic
3- Sign up Kessel
4- Extend Savard

We should...

1- Extend Stuart
2- Figure out Rask/backup situation
3- Get some 4th line/3rd line grit players to fill out the roster

I saw things this year for Krejci that leads me to believe he will be a 100-point center year after year. He also plays well defensively. He is the MOST IMPORTANT piece to our future in my opinion. But the above 4 are all important!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
in reality the team shapes up a bit like this...

up front we have Savard who is the straw stirring the drink now signed for this year. We have Krecji as an rfa and Bergeron signed for 2 more years. Then we have Hamil and Marchard finishing their first year in the AHL and projecting as future NHLers all around to play center ice. Soderberg would compete for a spot here if he comes over and Kessel does view himself as a center too still. There is a log jam here that will have to sort itself out some. Imo Bergeron will be a misused asset if continued to be used on a third line. There is a question of cap space and whether we can afford to have 3 centers making 13-15 mill between them

On the wing we have a lot of good yummy options. Ryder bounced back this year... assuming Sturm comes back healthy these two guys are both signed for the next couple and are good for 25-30 goals. Kessel is going to be used on the wing if he comes back and showed he is a bonafide sniper this year. Lucic can be monster when he plays physical and Wheeler ran out of gas but showed oodles of upside potential most the season. Kobasew gives us an honest effort there for a reasonable price on a third line. Then we all saw good things from Thornton and Bitz while Sobotka floats around ready to fight for a spot too.

Depth up front is DEEP!!!! and GOOD!!!! the only real problem is cost and the cap... chances are someone will have to go to make room for the others to stay... but we dont need to be looking to bring in any new lead horse. This group led the league in scoring this year. It is a very good group.

Recchi, Axelsson, Yelle are the UFA likely to be let go... but it will probably come down to cost if any of them might stay. All are useful in their own limited way if the price is right.

The hole is likely to open up for a third line center if one of Kessel/Bergeron are let go for cap reasons. I think that Bergeron started his career on the wing and maybe has to go back to the wing now until he regains his scoring touch if we are to maximize our value from him. Maybe he will come back to camp totally healthy after a summer off... if so, then perhaps Savard becomes the guy moved... but in any case, Bergeron makes too much to be left in a third line job I think. If Bergeron is let go then the team should try to find a decent checking line center that is affordable to replace him. Mike Peca or Manny Malhotra out of Columbus would be two guys that might fit our budget... or of course Hamil or Marchard might come to camp and win the spot... maybe Soderberg...

We can always address this issue after the season starts if nothing is worked out sooner too... so no real huge panick up front.

On the blueline we just saw Chara have a Norris season and Wideman showed he is definitely a legit top 2 guy in this league. Stuart proved he can be counted on as a good part of a good top 6 rotation and is improving. Hunwick is a RFA who showed some very good signs too.

Ward and Ferrence add alot of character leadership and it cant be overestimated how this clubs personality changed overnight at deadline 2 years ago when these 2 were brought in. Maybe one could be let go now in the interest of trying to find a legit number 3 type dman possibly?

Not sure what the future holds for Montadore and Hindy but Im guessing one could be back at the right price to serve as a number 7 next year. I dont really see any of the kids in the system forcing an issue and making the team but that could always change.

On defense is really the only spot that Id really be looking at all to address in the UFA market or through a trade.

In goal Thomas was mr everything this year so we are happy there... and Rask will be the backup if he can be afforded. If not we will grab someone off the bargain shopping list. In either case, Thomas is being paid now to be the man so he is going to be the man.

It really is all good. if somehow we can afford to bring back everyone then we pretty much need no one else. The club ran out of gas a bit... but still went to overtime in game 7 this year as we paid our dues. Next year no one is over the hill, and everyone of our kids gets a year better. We are a team on ascension and this will have been a great learning experience.

I wouldnt mess a huge amount with team chemistry. If we absolutely have to deal someone like Savard/Bergeron/Kessel due to cap... then try to get the good quality affordable number 3 dman we need back in the trade... then sign someone like Peca or Malhotra to plug the hole up front... thats about it for moves this team should be considering making

Old
05-15-2009, 11:21 AM
rocketdan9

my lines for 09/10

Kess savard lucic
wheeler krecji ryder
sturm bergeron kobasew
Thornton Bitz Marchand/sobokta

Chara Ward
Wideman Hunwick
Stuart Ference

Both kessel and krecji get 3 year 10 million dollar deals, hunwick 800-900k. Goodbye to axelson, yelle, fernandez, montador, snidy

Don't expect any outside signings

rocketdan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 11:25 AM
highwayman32

its time to say goodbye to Axy, way too slow.

highwayman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 11:29 AM
rocketdan9

yeah, slow and terribly unproductive. Last night behind the net he had all the time of the world to get it to somebody in front of the net but got the puck stolen. Missing numerous breakaway chances to score also

Basically he is a forward defensemen and the bruins don't need that. We need a complete player

I really want marchand to make it next year. You want a chad larose/scott walker scrappy guys with talent , marchand is it

Old
05-15-2009, 11:41 AM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdan9 View Post
Kess savard lucic
wheeler krecji ryder
sturm bergeron kobasew
Thornton Bitz Marchand/sobokta

Chara Ward
Wideman Hunwick
Stuart Ference

Both kessel and krecji get 3 year 10 million dollar deals, hunwick 800-900k. Goodbye to axelson, yelle, fernandez, montador, snidy

Don't expect any outside signings

My "team" looks similar to that

Lucic Savard Kessel (one of Kessel/Ryder should be traded IMO)
Sturm Krejci Wheeler
Recchi Bergy Kobasew
Thornton SOB Bitz

Chara Wideman
Stuart Boynton (Nick)

Hunwick/Ference + McQuaid/Montador all options on the 3rd pair

Thomas
cheap backup

So Ryder and Ward are traded. Ference is traded if the younger defensemen impress in training camp. Montador brought back as 7th defenseman. Maybe sign a cheap UFA goalie to backup Thomas. Bring up Rask once his bonuses are unachievable to make his cap number go down. It sounds cruel to not give Rask the opportunity to get those bonuses but Thomas is the #1 for now and Rask will get to play more in Providence.

-----
My other scenario would involve trading Kessel + Ward in some way to get Kaberle or someone of that nature. So no signing Nick Boynton in that case. That defenseman coming in the Kessel trade would allow us to trade Ference (even though he has a good contract) if Hunwick is ready to go.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:00 PM
rocketdan9

Not to burst your bubble but Ryder is a mainstay for us. He was great in game 7 , just couldn't buy a goal.

Ference is also going to stay as he is under contract and one of juliens fav players.

Axelson would stay if julien was the gm but i'm sure the org won't let that happen. He really has to go

i like sobokta but i'm not sure of his talent level. He can hit and play a chippy game but i'm not sure if he can score in the nhl just like noki couldn't.

I don't see that for marchand. Even though his stats is comparable to sobokta in the minors i think he will translate at least 70 percent of it to the nhl. (30-35 points)

Old
05-15-2009, 12:16 PM
RustyBruins72

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpfan1 View Post
Bruins can afford 1 at least.

They don't have to pay Fernandez and can trade 1 or 2 guys with mid-level contracts.

Krejci and Kessel don't deserve more than 3M each - probably more like 2M
you're kidding, right ?

RustyBruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:29 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
This team is basically all set for next year.

Insert Sturm for Recchi, Rask for Manny....

Our cap number currently is 50.745. Last years cap was 56.7 mil, leaving us with about 6 mil left. Cap will be shaved, no doubt about it IMO...Just a question of how much.

Rask at 3.2 mil is a real wildcard here as there is some debate...

If the bonus structure stays the same, we will have about 6 mil to lock up Kessel, Krejci and Hunwick....good luck wth that, but for arguments sake I see the team this way....

Lucic-Savard-Kessel
Wheeler-Krejci-Ryder
Sturm-Bergeron-Kobasew
Marchand-Sobotka-Bitz
Thornton

Chara-Wideman
Ward-Ference
Stuart-Hunwick

Thomas-Rask

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Cap will be shaved, no doubt about it IMO...Just a question of how much.
Why would they shave the cap? Revenue is up.

Any word on the bonus cushion? It's a pretty important consideration with players like Wheeler and Rask.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:38 PM
C77

These are some of the UFA guys that I like.

IF Bergeron was traded and we needed a 3rd line center...

I'd want Manny Malhotra (looks like he'll sign with Columbus though)
Malhotra won 58% of his faceoffs this year.

2nd choice would be Sami Pahlsson

For defense.....Nick Boynton because Morris would cost too much

Nick Boynton 6'2'' 211 Right Shot Jan-79 5 + 16 = 21 68 GP 16:35
Johnny Oduya 6'0'' 200 Left Shot Oct-81 7+ 22 = 29 82 GP 20:53
Derek Morris 6'0'' 220 Right Shot Aug-78 5 + 15 = 20 75 GP 20:53
Jordan Leopold 6'1'' 200 Left Shot Aug-80 7+ 17 = 24 83 GP 18:48

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:58 PM
TimmyVezina

Trade Kessel for a decent defenceman.I would much rather sign Krejci to a new deal well making sure not to handcuff ourselves even worse than we already are. This offseason is important, but next year we have to consider signing Savard and making sure Lucic stays in Boston.

TimmyVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:13 PM
neelyforpresident

I think the Bruins could add a guy like Dustin Brown. IMO he is the type of player that would fit perfectly into the system and the fans would love him because of his physical play. Anyway, would Bergeron + 1st rounder get it done? If so, would you do it? I would...

neelyforpresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
These are some of the UFA guys that I like.

IF Bergeron was traded and we needed a 3rd line center...

I'd want Manny Malhotra (looks like he'll sign with Columbus though)
Malhotra won 58% of his faceoffs this year.

2nd choice would be Sami Pahlsson

For defense.....Nick Boynton because Morris would cost too much

Nick Boynton 6'2'' 211 Right Shot Jan-79 5 + 16 = 21 68 GP 16:35
Johnny Oduya 6'0'' 200 Left Shot Oct-81 7+ 22 = 29 82 GP 20:53
Derek Morris 6'0'' 220 Right Shot Aug-78 5 + 15 = 20 75 GP 20:53
Jordan Leopold 6'1'' 200 Left Shot Aug-80 7+ 17 = 24 83 GP 18:48
I can tell you that there is zero chance that Boynton is coming back to Boston...none.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:31 PM
erfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker View Post
After that, the B's will have to figure out how they are going to replace one or two of Yelle, Axelsson, Reechi, Montador and Hnidy.
Or all of 'em. I think there will be a lot of Yelles available late in the summer willing to play for 1-yr / make-good contracts, as there were in MLB due to the economy. It could be a good summer to stock the lower portion of the roster with that sort of low-price contract, which would be good for the cash-strapped Bs.

erfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 02:08 PM
rocketdan9

I think both kessel and krecji wouldn't dispute to 3.5 million dollar per year deals for 3 years for now. They are still young and prob wouldn't want to sign to a long term deal to maximize their worth in a few years.

We can't lose both, i rather let go savard but if we had no choice krecji is the better player no doubt