HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella will make the call on Gomez

Old
05-13-2009, 01:13 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan681924 View Post
THANK YOU! Someone who finally makes sense.

I am sick and tired of hearing fans throwing their players under a damn bus. Gomez will florish under Torts. Give him a winger who can keep up with him and score a goal and you will all love him. We will regret loosing him.
So I guess you are in favor of trading Rozsival instead?

Someone has to be booted off the island if the Rangers want to succeed in the next 5-6 years. Drury has a NMC and I can't imagine why he would waive it when his family is close by and he grew up a Rangers fan. Redden is practically untradeable. Rozy & Gomez are probably easier to move.

I probably wouldn't mind Gomez as much if there was no cap, or if he was making less money. But in the cap era, these things must be taken into consideration. Money must be spent wisely, and a player making $7 million needs to be someone that you can build a team around. We won't be able to afford a good winger for Gomez, because he, among other players, is taking up too much cap space.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjollnir9 View Post
Was Jagr past his prime the last 2 years in NY? Yes, he was. Was a "past his prime"Jaromir Jagr still better than 90% of the league? I would say, easily. He DID carry this team on his back. Look at how we fared without a go to guy. Tell me that he looked washed up in last years playoffs! I don't care what anyone says, he was still dominant, and was the best Ranger of the last 10 years. His production dropped mostly because of Renney, and the pieces Sather put around him. Without complementary players, he struggled. Teams knew if they stopped Jagr they stopped the Rangers. Still he managed, almost singlehandedly to beat teams, and make this organization respectable again. The way Sather treated him, without the courtesy of a phone call, is disgusting after what Jagr did here. Hey, if I were Jagr, I would be pissed that NY handed the keys to Gomer and Drury, and paid them like kings. Why should they make more than a real superstar?! Another facet of the abyssmal contracts and their domino effect... When you pay role-players big money, you cannot afford real stars.
You dont need to sell me on Jaromir Jagr. I *****ed and moaned last summer to no end saying this team should re-sign him because, as you said, even a declining Jagr could be considered a dominant first line talent (or at the very least a hell of a lot more dominant than anyone we had this season).

But by the time Gomez came to town, you cant argue that Jagr was on the decline. Besides, their games couldnt have been more opposite in 2007-2008.

Put Gomez with 1996 Jaromir Jagr, and thats a different story.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:27 PM
eco's bones

No doubt in my mind that the Rangers missed Jagr--badly this year. I was really doubtful about not re-signing him and his absence on this years team really hurt us. Even with his numbers declining he kept other teams defenses honest and his size and ability to cycle the puck wore other teams down. And he was a real leader who didn't mind leading--being open with the press--speaking his mind and often being very funny as well. A guy like that can relax an atmosphere and also I think Dubinsky would have benefited even more playing on a line with him for a whole year.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 04:55 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
No doubt in my mind that the Rangers missed Jagr--badly this year. I was really doubtful about not re-signing him and his absence on this years team really hurt us.
Jagr went where the money was and the cap exists as well as the portion of the CBA which defines the maximum a single player can make.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 07:06 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Yeah and the Rangers are a Cup contender if they keep Gomez and get him a winger

Gomez and Roszival need to go. Create flexibility to re-sign your own players without bumping up against the cap and have room to acquire other players.

The Rangers need to reboot their team and start over.

Assign Redden to the AHL before the start of 2010-11 season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 04:05 AM
kilo41ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I have said many times I feel because of his age & his vast playoff experiance Gomez has the most trade vaule, It's a double edge sword, because Gomez is such a playoff preformer, but he has been given;

Jagr
Shanahon
Naslund
Zherdev

He has never found any Chemistry with any of these guys, the most sucess he had was when Avery was on his wing.

I think you trade him & run for the hills. He has been given enough chances here, the experiment has failed we need to move on.

Now while everyone is entitled to their opinions... Jagr, Shanahan, and Naslund were senior citizens, well out of their prime, working with Gomez. Zherdev isn't even a 30 goal scorer on any team. That being said, team wise, i think it owuld be better to rid yourselves of his contract and start a mini-rebuilding project. You can two good players with his space. Do it. You have Henrik, a goalie which can take you far, but no one in front of you...but Henrik aint getting any younger, so you dont have many years left. Good luck.

kilo41ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 07:32 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo41ak View Post
Now while everyone is entitled to their opinions... Jagr, Shanahan, and Naslund were senior citizens, well out of their prime, working with Gomez. Zherdev isn't even a 30 goal scorer on any team. That being said, team wise, i think it owuld be better to rid yourselves of his contract and start a mini-rebuilding project. You can two good players with his space. Do it. You have Henrik, a goalie which can take you far, but no one in front of you...but Henrik aint getting any younger, so you dont have many years left. Good luck.
Lundqvist is 27 years old.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 04:14 PM
kilo41ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Lundqvist is 27 years old.
My bad... fopr some reason I thought he was 33. No clue where I got that thought from. Either way... time is now eh?

kilo41ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:17 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo41ak View Post
My bad... fopr some reason I thought he was 33. No clue where I got that thought from. Either way... time is now eh?

Even if he was 33 That really doesn't mean anything, now a days elite goalies are like fine wine, they get better with age.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 03:20 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Jagr went where the money was and the cap exists as well as the portion of the CBA which defines the maximum a single player can make.
That's what I believe and I hate him for it. He left the team in the dust. How old is he? He says "he had to talk it over with mom and dad before making the decision." Bull ****!! Of course now he wants back into the NHL. Any opportunity to play with a shining Czech star like Hemsky. It's perfect. He can even use the excuse that he loves Renney and he wants to play for him. There's a reason why Caps and Pens fans booed the crap out of him. In Washington he whined his way out of there because "the team wasn't built around HIS tools and skills. He wanted no part of a rigid defensive system there."
In Pittsburgh he cried a river to coach Bob Johnson and threatened to desert the team because he was home sick. Johnson kept him there in Pittsburgh by bringing in Jiri Hrdina and Jagr was persuaded to stay and the Pens won a Cup. (basically this whole post came from the book written by Adam Proteau and Ken Campbell, "Top 60 since 1967: The Best Players of the Post Expansion Era.")

I can't wait until Renney takes over that team. I can guarantee he will not put down his players like he did here after an away game against Calgary. That's when he said "this team has to realize they can only win 1-0 or 2-1 games. They have to play to the system in order to be successful." Okay Tom. Your way is the only way Maybe he can push his ego to the side. The two of them belong together. Renney can boast that he's gotten the opportunity to coach a team with so many offensive weapons and the Professor will not need to employ a "1-2-2, get it to the shoot out and leave it up to his goalie type of game."

Not that I don't have my problems with Slats and "Torts" but good riddance to the both of them.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 03:51 AM
GarretJoseph*

I love the back and fort arguing in this thread. Keep it up!

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:19 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
That's what I believe and I hate him for it. He left the team in the dust. How old is he? He says "he had to talk it over with mom and dad before making the decision." Bull ****!! Of course now he wants back into the NHL. Any opportunity to play with a shining Czech star like Hemsky. It's perfect. He can even use the excuse that he loves Renney and he wants to play for him. There's a reason why Caps and Pens fans booed the crap out of him. In Washington he whined his way out of there because "the team wasn't built around HIS tools and skills. He wanted no part of a rigid defensive system there."
In Pittsburgh he cried a river to coach Bob Johnson and threatened to desert the team because he was home sick. Johnson kept him there in Pittsburgh by bringing in Jiri Hrdina and Jagr was persuaded to stay and the Pens won a Cup. (basically this whole post came from the book written by Adam Proteau and Ken Campbell, "Top 60 since 1967: The Best Players of the Post Expansion Era.")

I can't wait until Renney takes over that team. I can guarantee he will not put down his players like he did here after an away game against Calgary. That's when he said "this team has to realize they can only win 1-0 or 2-1 games. They have to play to the system in order to be successful." Okay Tom. Your way is the only way Maybe he can push his ego to the side. The two of them belong together. Renney can boast that he's gotten the opportunity to coach a team with so many offensive weapons and the Professor will not need to employ a "1-2-2, get it to the shoot out and leave it up to his goalie type of game."

Not that I don't have my problems with Slats and "Torts" but good riddance to the both of them.
Interesting, so you hate Jagr because he went where the money was. How about Scott Gomez? How about Chris Drury? How about Wade Redden? You don't seem to have ANY problem with them, even though all three did the exact same thing. Scott Gomez left the team that brought him into the league and nurtured him, and how does he thank them? By taking the big bucks with their biggest rival. Yeah, what a ******* that Jagr is.

You should be on your hands and knees thanking Jagr for not coming back, because all that would have done was forced this team to make even more stupid moves, waste even more picks and prospects at the deadline in their vain, ridiculous, and destined-to-fail effort to win. Jagr not coming back was a great thing for this team.

And as for Renney's "ego," if his firing proved anything, it was that he was ABSOLUTELY right. This team BLOWS, and not surprisingly, in the most important games, Tortorella reverted to basically doing exactly what Renney did. And that was with the help of Antropov, Avery and Morris, NONE of whom were here for Renney. All three were easily among the team's best players from the moment they got here. And they still lost in the first round. If it wasn't for the phenomenal team defense that Tom Renney helped install and Lundqvist, they wouldn't have won **** in that series, considering there wasn't a single game out of the seven where they were the better team.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Even if he was 33 That really doesn't mean anything, now a days elite goalies are like fine wine, they get better with age.
Yeah, or like they say that Brodeur = Bordeaux, he's a great, old whine.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Are you serious? Take a look at what happens to most goalies after the age of 35.

Brodeur and Hasek are exceptions to the breakdown rule.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote