HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

what is Kaberle's trade value?

Old
05-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
what is Kaberle's trade value?

there seems to be some widely different views on what Thomas Kaberle is worth. To some, he is an elite offensive dman who can be a top pairing guy on a championship team. Others, not so much.

What is clear is that

a) he signed for less than market value a couple of years ago. He has 2 years left at 4.25 mill per year.

b) he signed for less than the market in order to remain a leaf - something he obviously wants. Since the signing, he has been a constant in the rumour circles.

c) his play seems to have deteriorated in the last couple of years. This year, he only had 12 ES points in 57 games. The pro-rates to 17 over a full 82 games. This was only 50th amongst dmen. He was 5th in that category a couple of years ago, 11th last year

d) Hagman, Kubina, Finger, and Schenn all played tougher minutes than him and this is expected. Kaberle is not a shut down dman, he is a steady guy who puts up lots of points. The problem is, he isn't putting up points like he used to.

I think that all this trade talk has hurt his on ice performance. Too many changes (coaches, mngt, teamates) and has not adapted well. I hope he turns it around but... is he on the decline?

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Darth Milbury

I think we should take bets on how long it takes for this thread to errupt in a flame war.

But, the answer to your question is probably a mid-round to late first and a prospect.

Yeah, Kaberle did not have good year. But, he is still an elite playmaker and fine PP point man. And, although his defensive game slipped last year, he is still quite capable in his own zone.

He'd be a very nice pickup for a team that is on the cusp.

I think he'll be a leaf for the rest of his career though. I don't think his trade value is going to be high enough for Burke to move him, and I think Burke believes he can return to playoff contention in the near future.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:31 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

4 1st rounders, Blue Chip Prospect, Top line forward, Top pairing defenceman.

There settled.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:42 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
4 1st rounders, Blue Chip Prospect, Top line forward, Top pairing defenceman.

There settled.
Yup, but the Leafs will have to throw in a 4th.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:44 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

In all seriousness though, Kaberle is not worth as much we Leaf fans want to think, and I think he will get a single good player in return with some upside. A deal like the Neiuwedyk for Iginla deal, remembering Iginla was just a good prospect at the time, and not a Rocket Richard Trophy winner.

Old
05-15-2009, 12:48 PM
C77

I want Kaberle to be a Bruin

I'm thinking maybe the Bruins trade Kessel + Ward to a Western Conference team and that Western Conference team gives up the player(s)/ draft pick needed for Kaberle to go to Boston.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:55 PM
DougGilmour93

He'll get a better package than D.Boyle got last year. He's younger, better contract. Just as good as Boyle was back than.

Late 1st ,Top prospect, nhl ready player is what Boyle got...so....Kaberle should get...

late 1st (25-30), Top prospect, young NHL player with upside

or

Better (mid) 1st round pick, top prospect, 3rd line player

or

even better 1st (5-10), Top prospect

Last edited by DougGilmour93: 05-18-2009 at 09:50 AM.
DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:57 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
I want Kaberle to be a Bruin

I'm thinking maybe the Bruins trade Kessel + Ward to a Western Conference team and that Western Conference team gives up the player(s)/ draft pick needed for Kaberle to go to Boston.
He seems like a good fit, if they can make the salary work.

Old
05-15-2009, 01:00 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

I am truly chocked that THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS COME up

I am shocked we have not had weekly and sometimes daily discussions on this guy

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:02 PM
ecemleafs

id say a late 1st this year. a good team close to a cup will want a player of his caliber and be willing to give up there 1st.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:07 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
He'll get a better package than D.Boyle got a couple yrs back. He's younger, better contract. Just as good as Boyle was back than.

Late 1st ,Top prospect, nhl ready player is what Boyle got...so....Kaberle should get...

or

or

While the Boyle deal looked good at the time, it has not been nearly the windfall we thought. Matt Carle has not been great and has since moved on and Wishart played 5 games in the NHL. The 1st round pick is 26th overall and a 4th was thrown in, and Lukowich was included in the trade and he played 58 NHL games. Also of note, Boyle was signed for 6 years, not 2.

Old
05-15-2009, 01:22 PM
phlocky

Quote:
He'll get a better package than D.Boyle got a couple yrs back. He's younger, better contract. Just as good as Boyle was back than.

or

or

You do realize that Dan Boyle was just traded this past off season right??? You do realize that Boyle was signed for 6 more years, not just 2 right??? You do realize that there were 2 verteran dmen that were sent to SJS (the team that got Boyle in case you forgot that too). You do realize that TB got a young dman whom was benched at the end ofthe previous year and in the playoffs and a defensive prospect whose stock was falling along with a late 1st right.

If you are looking for a deal similar to the Boyle deal it would look something like this: Matt Carle + Luca Sbisa + 2010 1st + 2010 4th for Kaberle + Kubina. Now I know that Kubina is better than Lukowich but Sbisa is eqully better than Wishart so it evens out. Not exactly the overwhelming deal you are expecting is it.

That's a pretty decent deal for the Leafs actually. Kaberly for Carle + 2010 1st is probably about right and Sbisa + 2010 4th is a lot for Kubina.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:35 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
You do realize that Dan Boyle was just traded this past off season right??? You do realize that Boyle was signed for 6 more years, not just 2 right??? You do realize that there were 2 verteran dmen that were sent to SJS (the team that got Boyle in case you forgot that too). You do realize that TB got a young dman whom was benched at the end ofthe previous year and in the playoffs and a defensive prospect whose stock was falling along with a late 1st right.

If you are looking for a deal similar to the Boyle deal it would look something like this: Matt Carle + Luca Sbisa + 2010 1st + 2010 4th for Kaberle + Kubina. Now I know that Kubina is better than Lukowich but Sbisa is eqully better than Wishart so it evens out. Not exactly the overwhelming deal you are expecting is it.

That's a pretty decent deal for the Leafs actually. Kaberly for Carle + 2010 1st is probably about right and Sbisa + 2010 4th is a lot for Kubina.
all the condescending talk aside, change the 1st to 09 and 4th to a 3rd, and I'd be down. I dont think we're getting the best we can for Kabs, but he needs to move on to show his true value, he's rotting in TO and can do so much better if he played on a decent team.
Personally I liked the trade to BOS mentioned a few posts ago, and would want Kessel in a trade. Kabs would be perfect playing with Chara and Savard on the PP. If he played for Boston, he'd be the 4th or 5th guy in Norris talks.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:36 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Carter + 1st rd + prospect...AT THE VERY LEAST

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
Carter + 1st rd + prospect...AT THE VERY LEAST

"Wake up, Kewlburn. Its time to go to school...."

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:52 PM
madpooh

late 1st (>20) and a mid prospect like Rau/Wishart/N. Williams. He isn't signed as long as Boyle, hasn't won a cup, & is coming off a bad year.

Or Jeff Carter, K. Alzenr, T. Myers & tampas 1st.

But Toronto will also have to include Ponikarovsky

madpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Atlanta's #1 pick, #4 overall.

Albeit.... TOR will have to add something to that as well since Kaberle is an expensive contract issue.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 01:54 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by awright1393 View Post
all the condescending talk aside, change the 1st to 09 and 4th to a 3rd, and I'd be down. I dont think we're getting the best we can for Kabs, but he needs to move on to show his true value, he's rotting in TO and can do so much better if he played on a decent team.
Personally I liked the trade to BOS mentioned a few posts ago, and would want Kessel in a trade. Kabs would be perfect playing with Chara and Savard on the PP. If he played for Boston, he'd be the 4th or 5th guy in Norris talks.

While I'd love to add Kaberle and Kubina, I think that would only leave us about 1 mil for 2 goalies, lol. I haven't looked at the exact numbers but we couldn't make our goalie situation work if we did this deal.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 02:00 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:

Boyle makes 2 million dollars more than Kaberle which adds to Kaberles value. He's 2 years younger, which also adds to his value.

Overall, Kaberle should get a better package than Boyle did.

Money is everything in this cap world. Or did you forget there was a salary cap?

Old
05-15-2009, 02:02 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
While I'd love to add Kaberle and Kubina, I think that would only leave us about 1 mil for 2 goalies, lol. I haven't looked at the exact numbers but we couldn't make our goalie situation work if we did this deal.
yeah. It'd probably get too complicated, adding salary and then whatever to equal the value. Kubina could be had and more useful to PHI, but if we take a salary dump, Burke would want more than his value. I would be down with Carle, being that is still just 24, and could be good with RW again, but the key for us is the 1st, makeing it a bit overpayment maybe.

Old
05-15-2009, 02:06 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Boyle makes 2 million dollars more than Kaberle which adds to Kaberles value. He's 2 years younger, which also adds to his value.

Overall, Kaberle should get a better package than Boyle did.

Money is everything in this cap world. Or did you forget there was a salary cap?
If the pick is in this year, it's already better value though. Especially with the cap going down. If the economy shows more signs of life, it would help. The cap would probably only go down for a year, maybe 2 tops. The resulting upswing from a busted economy could be big. Everyone needs to replace some of their goods (sure as hell know I do) All that being said................where was I? Oh yeah, if we stay in this current state, the cap will continue to go down, and the value of a 1st will continue to go up.

Old
05-15-2009, 02:11 PM
IslesFTW

Quote:

or

or

Lol don't hold your breath on these deals.

And the only way the first deal gets done is if the young NHL player's upside is a second line forward AT BEST.

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 02:12 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by awright1393 View Post
If the pick is in this year, it's already better value though. Especially with the cap going down. If the economy shows more signs of life, it would help. The cap would probably only go down for a year, maybe 2 tops. The resulting upswing from a busted economy could be big. Everyone needs to replace some of their goods (sure as hell know I do) All that being said................where was I? Oh yeah, if we stay in this current state, the cap will continue to go down, and the value of a 1st will continue to go up.
Well, your making more of case for Kaberle than anything right there, as he has an incredible contract for what he brings. And he is locked in for 2 more years to boot!

Thanks

Old
05-15-2009, 02:13 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFTW View Post
Lol don't hold your breath on these deals.

And the only way the first deal gets done is if the young NHL player's upside is a second line forward AT BEST.
That would be fine.

Old
05-15-2009, 02:15 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:

or

or

The Boyle deal was this year, not a couple back. Are you so lost in your fantasy world that you forgot that?

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote