HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI - MTL (Late 1st Draft Picks)

Old
05-13-2009, 02:34 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Depends if Leblanc or Holland are gone or not, we have enough mid tier prospects, we need somebody with 1st line potential ASAP
And neither of those guys have 1st potential, just as not many will at 18th.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
If I were the Flyers I'd trade you our 1st (21st right now with the chance to move up to 20th or 19th depending upon how the Canes and Ducks fair) for the 26th and 37th picks.
Maybe if it's 19. But the chances a premium guy falls to 21 is much lower than at 17. People will already be clamoring to move up at that point. The scenario I'm thinking of involves someone like Kulikov or Cowen being available at #15-17. In that case, I could see the Isles moving as much as their #26, #31 and a 3rd to move up to get 'em.

That's one perfect (yet not unrealistic) draft scenario for NYI - pick Tavares, grab a premium D-prospect, and one of the top-rated goalies in the 2nd round.

Another is grabbing Hedman, wait for a premium forward (MSP or Schroeder, or Kadri) to fall, and trade up.

The Isles should be among the most active move-up candidates in the draft. When they're active during the draft, recall the moves from last year that were widely panned.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Chomsky

If we can get the 26th and 31th I'm all for that, otherwise no thanks.

Also if most of Kreider, Ferraro, Budish, Leblanc,Morin, Werek and Ashton are gone, I don't see the point.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 05:06 PM
boredmale

If when it's Montreal's time to pick and the Islanders have somebody they really want I would do it.

Another trade I wouldn't mind but I am not sure if Montreal would do

Higgins for the 26th pick

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Mr Shanahan

How does San Jose have the 26th pick? They were kind of eliminated in the 1st round..

Mr Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
If the Habs don't want to do it, the Jackets would @ 15th, 26th and 31st would get it done.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:05 PM
DaHabMan

i say if it did happen, we should go for it......but id rather have something in 20-23 range though but beggers cant be choosers....

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:36 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4ever View Post
How does San Jose have the 26th pick? They were kind of eliminated in the 1st round..
Teams eliminated in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs get seated 15-26 in the draft. SJ having the best record of all team eliminated will get the 26th pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
If the Habs don't want to do it, the Jackets would @ 15th, 26th and 31st would get it done.
I would be suprised if the Islander can actually move up that high with those 2 picks, but I guess alot depends on the team picking at that spot and who is still left. I figured the 26th + 31st would get anywhere between 15-20, that would be the very high end of my prediction.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 07:21 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
In the end it comes down to what players each team wants and if they feel the need to move up or can drop down to get the player. Would it be an awfull move by the Habs to get the extra earlier pick? No, but all depends on who they are targetting.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic View Post
And neither of those guys have 1st potential, just as not many will at 18th.
From what i saw of Leblanc (the very little, still) and with the draft here in Montreal, playing where Timmins like em, there's no way we pass up on the opportunity if by miracle he's till there. It's just an opinion of course.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Isles72

the bottom line is Snow has a phone and the extra picks

picks up phone and says , 'hey , you want 26 and 31 for 17th ?

yes , no ?

either way , life goes on

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 02:07 PM
DownInFlames

Quote:
If I were the Flyers I'd trade you our 1st (21st right now with the chance to move up to 20th or 19th depending upon how the Canes and Ducks fair) for the 26th and 37th picks.
Philly has the 22nd pick. Calgary is picking 21st. The max Philly can move up is 20th. Go Ducks and Hurricanes.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 02:12 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesOwnYou View Post
Philly has the 22nd pick. Calgary is picking 21st. The max Philly can move up is 20th. Go Ducks and Hurricanes.
Oh crap, you are right. I was thinking that Chicago finished below us be they did finish above us and them making it to the conf finals has no bearing on our drafting position. That's where I messed up.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:54 AM
NSi

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your comments and views on the value of this proposal.

As most of you guys said, I believe this could only be done if the Habs have enough players left when it gets to the 18th pick that are similar (from their POV) to move back and be sure one of them is still on board, while at the same time a player really high on the Isles' board still available (as some mentioned, maybe Ellis, Kassian, etc.).

IMHO, there are enough quality centers to move back 8 spots and still get a good one (Werek, Leblanc, Kreider, Budish, Palmieri), but I'll trust Timmins as always.

NSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 11:59 AM
DownInFlames

Quote:
Oh crap, you are right. I was thinking that Chicago finished below us be they did finish above us and them making it to the conf finals has no bearing on our drafting position. That's where I messed up.
You were correct sir (drafting 21st) thanks to the Hurricanes making it to the semi's.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSi View Post
Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your comments and views on the value of this proposal.

As most of you guys said, I believe this could only be done if the Habs have enough players left when it gets to the 18th pick that are similar (from their POV) to move back and be sure one of them is still on board, while at the same time a player really high on the Isles' board still available (as some mentioned, maybe Ellis, Kassian, etc.).

IMHO, there are enough quality centers to move back 8 spots and still get a good one (Werek, Leblanc, Kreider, Budish, Palmieri), but I'll trust Timmins as always.
I agree...there will be many interesting players at the 26th spot...and the 31st spot. More depht at centre would be great for Montreal so if that deal comes by, they should think about it.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 03:40 PM
OneSharpMarble

Habs dont need more depth or 3rd/4th liners, they need a single top 6 forward and they wont get him by getting rid of their top 20 pick.

No either you add in a juicy prospect or go away.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 03:47 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Habs dont need more depth or 3rd/4th liners, they need a single top 6 forward and they wont get him by getting rid of their top 20 pick.
How do you know that? Who's to say they can't do better with 2 centers at 26th and 31st then with one at 18th? Until we see who's on board after the first 17 picks and who Timmins likes, it's hard to say what would be best. Personally I don't think the difference between 18th and 26th will be all that great but we'll see in 5 weeks.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 04:34 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT 91 NYI View Post
The trade (and value) would all depend on who is available when Montreal picks. These trades usually don't happen until just before the pick is made for that reason. The value looks good at this point, 26th and 31st, for Montreal but only if they coveted a few players who would project to go in that range. If a player like Zach Kassian or Ryan Ellis falls to a pick like this, its value will increase.
Good post...right on...there is usually a team looking to move up in case a certain slides

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post

Kreider, Burish, Shore, Ferraro, and many others are ranked in the 20thies + and they all have potential to be top line players...

Corey Perry and Martin Havlat are two great players among many others who were drafted in the 20thies...

I really don't see your point...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:54 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Kreider, Burish, Shore, Ferraro, and many others are ranked in the 20thies + and they all have potential to be top line players...

Corey Perry and Martin Havlat are two great players among many others who were drafted in the 20thies...

I really don't see your point...
There is a reason the best players go lower in the draft. Point at a few anomolies where superstars get chosen in late rounds and I can point to hundreds of better players chosen earlier. Montreals drafting isn't that strong so if there is a sure fire player at 18 thats who you take.

Montreal is not Detroit.

If Montreal wants a second rounder they can move one of their roster players and get one.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote