HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Who is coming from Providence?

Old
05-15-2009, 04:27 PM
rocketdan9

vCash: 500
sobokta and nokie were essentially the same players and look where noki is now.

Marchand needs a chance and i feel in the nhl he will step it up even further. I hate to play against a guy like chad larose and scott walker but i would like to have scrappy players like that with some talent on my team any day

Marchand is those type of pests that get under opposings players/goalies skin but also can get you the chip in you need in ot

rocketdan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 04:29 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMaker View Post
Rask is a lock. After his phenomal playoff performace to date (.943%), there's nothing left for him to learn in the A.

Sobotka is probably a lock as well. He should have made the team this year, based on how well he finished up last year and how well he played in camp. Just couldn't seem to carry that over into his call-ups.

Marchand is a dark horse who could push for a job. He's shown an NHL 'compete' level since his first rookie camp. It seems like he gradually developed his offensive game, and is one of Prov's best players in the post-season. One more year in the A to more develop his offense, to go along with frequent call-ups, is probably 'the plan' for him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him force the coaching staffs hand in camp.
this is very good- and Garbagegoal's post above is bang on, and I suggest anyone interested in looking for Providence Bruins information read his comments on this topic as he is very knowlegdeable.

MY VIEW
Sobotka and Marchand have NHL speed and Sobotka is especially very quick; I think Sobotka's weakness is he floats at times out of what comes across as bordem, whereas Marchand looks like he might be auditioning for Slap Shot. Both are iritating to the opposition in their own distinct way but to me are certainly NHL talents.

If I was Boston management I'd have Sobotka play LW on the bottom two lines to minimize defensive responsibility that a center spot would have, and considering he plays LW quite a bit in Providence that seems to be the feeling. He needs to use his speed/quickness and hitting style to pressure defenseman, and also moonlight as a 'pest to the pests'. Last night Jokinen was ruthless at times on Kessel, laughing at him, tormenting him, skating infront of him, just busting his balls. It was hard to watch. However, you could assign Sobotka to give the Averys and Jokinens a taste of their own medicine. Sobotka is not only a pretty balanced and strong hitter, he can fight well for a flyweight. I don't know how he would do against Avery, but I bet he knocks the crap out of Jokinen.

As for Marchand- I really love watching him. However, he especially is going to have to tweak the style a bit. You can be a pain in the ass and effective, but he ramps it up with a lot of yapping and out-of-the-way antagonistic stuff. I do like his speed and he has gotten exponentially better since the Fall; if he gets even better the Bruins may have found something here. I am not sure how he'll do in the NHL but I was watching the game last night and thought to myself, Marchand's speed would look very good right about now. I can see him eventually being a very good third line center who can put up some goals. (the vision of him stealing a puck at center ice in the Montreal Forum and scoring on a breakway, to be followed by a skate by the Habs bench tormenting them is something I can't get out of my head)....He should be the star next year in Providence, hopefully with Hamill, but right now, if offered the choice I'd take Marchand.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
this is very good- and Garbagegoal's post above is bang on, and I suggest anyone interested in looking for Providence Bruins information read his comments on this topic as he is very knowlegdeable.

MY VIEW
Sobotka and Marchand have NHL speed and Sobotka is especially very quick; I think Sobotka's weakness is he floats at times out of what comes across as bordem, whereas Marchand looks like he might be auditioning for Slap Shot. Both are iritating to the opposition in their own distinct way but to me are certainly NHL talents.

If I was Boston management I'd have Sobotka play LW on the bottom two lines to minimize defensive responsibility that a center spot would have, and considering he plays LW quite a bit in Providence that seems to be the feeling. He needs to use his speed/quickness and hitting style to pressure defenseman, and also moonlight as a 'pest to the pests'. Last night Jokinen was ruthless at times on Kessel, laughing at him, tormenting him, skating infront of him, just busting his balls. It was hard to watch. However, you could assign Sobotka to give the Averys and Jokinens a taste of their own medicine. Sobotka is not only a pretty balanced and strong hitter, he can fight well for a flyweight. I don't know how he would do against Avery, but I bet he knocks the crap out of Jokinen.

As for Marchand- I really love watching him. However, he especially is going to have to tweak the style a bit. You can be a pain in the ass and effective, but he ramps it up with a lot of yapping and out-of-the-way antagonistic stuff. I do like his speed and he has gotten exponentially better since the Fall; if he gets even better the Bruins may have found something here. I am not sure how he'll do in the NHL but I was watching the game last night and thought to myself, Marchand's speed would look very good right about now. I can see him eventually being a very good third line center who can put up some goals. (the vision of him stealing a puck at center ice in the Montreal Forum and scoring on a breakway, to be followed by a skate by the Habs bench tormenting them is something I can't get out of my head)....He should be the star next year in Providence, hopefully with Hamill, but right now, if offered the choice I'd take Marchand.
Good stuff, Dan. You especially have to like the guys who step up in the post-season the way Marchand has his whole career. The way SOB did last year in the playoffs. Guys like that win games for you when it matters.

Bill Ladd is online now   Reply With Quote