HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo to Flyers?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2009, 05:20 PM
  #51
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
There's a whole thread devoted to it genius. And why did it change from 5 to 10? Unsure of your first claim?

My god.
I couldn't name 5 worse contracts. It was you that said it wasn't a bad contract. If you were right surely you could list 10 worse contracts out of the 600 odd players in the NHL. I don't blame you for passing though, it can't be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnkd View Post
You got to think that if Luongo gets traded to Philly, he'd be signing an extension shortly thereafter. Otherwise, I doubt he waives his NTC. And if Philadelphia is not willing to part with Carter (I think Carter would be dealt before Richards would be), I only anticipate Vancouver finding a better offer.
This is bang on. If Luongo waives his NTC to go to Philadelphia or any other team for that matter you would have to think it would be with the intentions of re-signing. He's not going to accept a move only to move again one year later.

With that in mind, a re-signed Luongo is worth a ton.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:29 PM
  #52
ArmchairGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
What other teams would be able to ship out more then Philadelphia? No one can match an offer of Carter which is why I doubt he's moved, at the very least he's worth 4 first round picks.

Richards is untouchable

Giroux may be the Flyers best player in two years

That leaves Hartnell which a lot of people seem to like, but he would probably only be moved alone for Luongo.

Then there's Lupul who scored 50 points on a 2.3 million cap hit, he's signed for 4.25 for the next 4 years.

Briere who had an injury riddled season, but puts up 85+ points in a full season. Signed at 6.5 for the next 6 years.

JVR can probably be had for a top end goalie


In the end who can match an offer of Briere and JVR? Especially for virtually the rights of a player.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:32 PM
  #53
ArmchairGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I couldn't name 5 worse contracts. It was you that said it wasn't a bad contract. If you were right surely you could list 10 worse contracts out of the 600 odd players in the NHL. I don't blame you for passing though, it can't be done.



This is bang on. If Luongo waives his NTC to go to Philadelphia or any other team for that matter you would have to think it would be with the intentions of re-signing. He's not going to accept a move only to move again one year later.

With that in mind, a re-signed Luongo is worth a ton.
Luongo would only re-sign if moved to another team, most likely as part of the trade agreement. If he were re-signed, why would Vancouver trade Luongo?

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:42 PM
  #54
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
In the end who can match an offer of Briere and JVR? Especially for virtually the rights of a player.
I wouldn't offer Shane O'Brien for those 2.

Luongo has a NTC. If he waives it he'll be doing so with the intention of re-signing with the team he's being dealt to. If he didn't intend on re-signing he has absolutely no incentive to allow the trade to go through.

You guy's must be getting much different reports from the media as to where the salary cap is expected to be after next year or how much the NHL will be adversely affected by the struggling economy. Longterm contracts at big dollar figures are a cancer right now. I don't think you'll see many moved this summer, if any at all. Lecavalier being the possible exception.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:43 PM
  #55
twenty2
 
twenty2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I couldn't name 5 worse contracts. It was you that said it wasn't a bad contract. If you were right surely you could list 10 worse contracts out of the 600 odd players in the NHL. I don't blame you for passing though, it can't be done.
If you can't name 5 worse contracts than I question your knowledge about contracts in general. If you're an expert on Briere's contract then how come you don't know about any others.

I'm not going to do this only because you're too lazy to go look for the thread.

Briere's contract is fair for a PPG forward. He may be older when his contract is up...that doesn't mean he's not worth the money he's getting.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:48 PM
  #56
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
Luongo would only re-sign if moved to another team, most likely as part of the trade agreement. If he were re-signed, why would Vancouver trade Luongo?
Maybe because he wants to play closer to Florida? Who knows.

Vancouver probably only looks to move Luongo if he wants out. He's never made comments that he's unhappy in Vancouver but you can't rule out the possibility either.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:51 PM
  #57
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnkd View Post
You got to think that if Luongo gets traded to Philly, he'd be signing an extension shortly thereafter. Otherwise, I doubt he waives his NTC. And if Philadelphia is not willing to part with Carter (I think Carter would be dealt before Richards would be), I only anticipate Vancouver finding a better offer.
Good luck to Vancouver in finding someone who would offer a player on Carter's level.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 06:07 PM
  #58
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Toronto has paid/had goalies in the past. Potvin, Fuhr, Cujo, Belfour...

When was the last time Philly had a true #1? Bernie Parent? Ron Hextall sure didn't count...lol Cechmanek was good but according to Philly fans couldn't play in the playoffs.
Pelle my man.He was hands down the 2nd best we ever had behind Bernie. Who knows how good he was going to be before he died. I still believe that the year he passed was going to be a special one.That was one hell of a team.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 06:08 PM
  #59
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Buck View Post
Hartnell, Parent and JVR...that's where it should start.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 06:13 PM
  #60
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?
 
Shadow Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Interwebs
Country: United States
Posts: 3,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Pelle my man.He was hands down the 2nd best we ever had behind Bernie. Who knows how good he was going to be before he died. I still believe that the year he passed was going to be a special one.That was one hell of a team.


Pelle was awesome. God I miss that guy.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 06:15 PM
  #61
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
If you can't name 5 worse contracts than I question your knowledge about contracts in general. If you're an expert on Briere's contract then how come you don't know about any others.

I'm not going to do this only because you're too lazy to go look for the thread.

Briere's contract is fair for a PPG forward. He may be older when his contract is up...that doesn't mean he's not worth the money he's getting.
I've seen people try to list 10 contracts worse than Briere. I thought it was pretty funny, yet not even remotely accurate. Any contracts 3 years or less automatically make them more palatable than Briere's, regardless of the amount. It's more about the term than the dollar figures.

Top 6 worst contracts-

1. Redden
2. Campbell
3. Huet
4. Gomez
5. Briere
6. Horcoff

Interchange these guy's how you like. Briere's still in that group.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 06:26 PM
  #62
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Good luck to Vancouver in finding someone who would offer a player on Carter's level.
What's more likely, Vancouver finding an offer better than Jeff Carter straight up or Philadelphia going into next season with a better goalie than Roberto Luongo?

Teams can play hardball all they want if they're negotiating with the Canucks about a Luongo deal. As long as they're willing to risk their season on the back of average, inconsistent goaltenders.

Elite level goalies rarely ever hit the trade or free agent market. If you have the chance to acquire one, you do it. As we saw when Luongo hit the market the last time when at least 3 suitors put forth considerate offers for his services.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:06 PM
  #63
twenty2
 
twenty2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I've seen people try to list 10 contracts worse than Briere. I thought it was pretty funny, yet not even remotely accurate. Any contracts 3 years or less automatically make them more palatable than Briere's, regardless of the amount. It's more about the term than the dollar figures.

Top 6 worst contracts-

1. Redden
2. Campbell
3. Huet
4. Gomez
5. Briere
6. Horcoff

Interchange these guy's how you like. Briere's still in that group.
You also forgot Drury, etc.

Problem with Briere is he still earns his money. Despite injury issues this past season he's a PPG forward since the lockout. He's not that old now. He may be up there when his deal ends, but currently he still earns his contract. Most of the list you made up doesn't...

In fact the worst contract on the Flyers is not Briere, Lupul, Carle, or any of the players that play up to their contract...it's Randy Jones and it's not even close.

You know NOTHING about the NHL. You just follow other people's opinions like a blind man caught in a parade.

So pathetic.

If the Flyers didn't have Richards or Carter, Briere would be the best thing to happen to this team since the lockout, $6.5m or not. Argue that about anyone else on your little list.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:28 PM
  #64
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
You also forgot Drury, etc.

Problem with Briere is he still earns his money. Despite injury issues this past season he's a PPG forward since the lockout. He's not that old now. He may be up there when his deal ends, but currently he still earns his contract. Most of the list you made up doesn't...

In fact the worst contract on the Flyers is not Briere, Lupul, Carle, or any of the players that play up to their contract...it's Randy Jones and it's not even close.
You know NOTHING about the NHL. You just follow other people's opinions like a blind man caught in a parade.

So pathetic.

If the Flyers didn't have Richards or Carter, Briere would be the best thing to happen to this team since the lockout, $6.5m or not. Argue that about anyone else on your little list.


Randy Jones with 1 year remaining at $2.75mil is the worst contract on the Flyers and 'it's not even close'?

You're totally oblivious to the financial side of the NHL. Just a little hint, it's the '10-11 season where the cap is expected to be affected by the sagging economy. And yes, Randy Jones will be an unrestricted free agent at that time.

I'd like to see 1 single Flyer fan come on here and back up your sentiments that Randy Jones is a bigger financial concern than Daniel Briere. After nobody corroborate's your opinion, take that as proof you're out to lunch.

Still waiting for that list of 10 players that will be harder to move than Daniel Briere. Good luck.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:38 PM
  #65
mytor4*
 
mytor4*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,175
vCash: 500
Just read this and i don't know if it's doable or if either team would go for it.

Vinnie Lecavalier, Roberto Luongo(notes) and Patrick Roy are all the subject of rumors in Montreal. The continuing financial difficulties in Tampa have led to new rumors that the team may cut payroll by trading Lecavalier and possibly Marty St. Louis. As for Luongo, he took a beating from fans and media in Vancouver after the Canucks lost to Chicago in the second round of the playoffs. Thatís led to talk of a Carey Price(notes) for Luongo deal which would bring both players closer to their hometowns. And while Roy talked to the Colorado Avalanche about a job in the NHL, the Hall of Fame goaltender said heís open to offers to coach any NHL team and that includes the Canadiens.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:39 PM
  #66
CloutierForVezina
Registered User
 
CloutierForVezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
If the Flyers didn't have Richards or Carter, Briere would be the best thing to happen to this team since the lockout, $6.5m or not. Argue that about anyone else on your little list.
What a ridiculous arguement. If washington capitals didn't have valamov or johnson theodore would be a crucial part of that team. That must make his contract amazing, right?!

The fact of the matter is that briere may be worth his money right now but he certainly won't be a 6.5million/year player at 36 or 37 and no team is willing to chew up more than 10% of their salary cap on an injury prone, overpaid centre.

Hell on the flyers he isn't even top 6. Yeah, all the best teams pay their 3rd line centre 6.5million

CloutierForVezina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:44 PM
  #67
Payaso619*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Mexico
Posts: 4,136
vCash: 500
Carter, JVR, 1st for Luongo, if it ever happened.

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:55 PM
  #68
twenty2
 
twenty2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
What a ridiculous arguement. If washington capitals didn't have valamov or johnson theodore would be a crucial part of that team. That must make his contract amazing, right?!

The fact of the matter is that briere may be worth his money right now but he certainly won't be a 6.5million/year player at 36 or 37 and no team is willing to chew up more than 10% of their salary cap on an injury prone, overpaid centre.

Hell on the flyers he isn't even top 6. Yeah, all the best teams pay their 3rd line centre 6.5million
Since it's such an "ridiculous" argument then how about this:

Let's say Richards panned out, but Carter never did. In fact let's say we traded Carter at the deadline last season. Now down the middle instead of Richards - Carter - Giroux we have Richards - Briere - Giroux. We wouldn't have Carter's contract on our hands and would be PERFECTLY fine with Briere's contract. Carter's emergence has made Briere a luxury to this team that would like to spend his money elsewhere to fill holes. If Carter was traded to fill those holes last offseason Briere would be a far more important part of the team and we wouldn't even be considering trading him.

Theodore lost his job to a rookie because he wasn't PERFORMING. Isn't that what I ****ing said? Players making money they're not earning...

Briere was injured yes, but he performed when he was 100% after coming back just as we expected him to.

You should quit hockey as a hobby and look into arts and crafts...that might hurt your head a little less.

Oh, and also...since you clearly know nothing about the Flyers or Briere I'll let you in on this little secret: he plays winger now. And just because he's playing with Giroux on the 3rd line doesn't change anything. It's for chemistry and nothing else. Sounds more like you're jealous that the Flyers can skate three legitimate scoring lines and your team can't. Without Briere we can't do that so please don't spread your incompetence anymore. Just go find a nice hole to crawl in.


Last edited by twenty2: 05-15-2009 at 08:06 PM.
twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:59 PM
  #69
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso619 View Post
Carter, JVR, 1st for Luongo, if it ever happened.


Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 08:05 PM
  #70
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso619 View Post
Carter, JVR, 1st for Luongo, if it ever happened.
Do you forget how little you guys gave up to get Luongo in the first place? It wouldn't cost that much.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 08:05 PM
  #71
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,725
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
What team would offer something better than Jeff Carter for Roberto Luongo? Think about it, who else would offer a 6'3", young, cheap for 2 more years, 45 goal scorer, two-way center who plays PP and PK? Or anyone that could compare to that? Nobody, and the Flyers wouldn't offer it up either. Some people amaze me.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 08:07 PM
  #72
CloutierForVezina
Registered User
 
CloutierForVezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Since it's such an "ridiculous" argument then how about this:

Let's say Richards panned out, but Carter never did. In fact let's say we traded Carter at the deadline last season. Now down the middle instead of Richards - Carter - Giroux we have Richards - Briere - Giroux. We wouldn't have Carter's contract on our hands and would be PERFECTLY fine with Briere's contract. Carter's emergence has made Briere a luxury to this team that would like to spend his money elsewhere to fill holes. If Carter was traded to fill those holes last offseason Briere would be a far more important part of the team and we wouldn't even be considering trading him.
But they did pan out and carter wasn't traded last season. You can argue an endless stream of what if's if you want, none of them are relevant because none of them actually happened. Fact of the matter is that philidelphia will be stuck with briere as their 3rd line centre at 6.5million/year long past his prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Theodore lost his job to a rookie because he wasn't PERFORMING. Isn't that what I ****ing said? Players making money they're not earning...

Briere was injured yes, but he performed when he was 100% after coming back just as we expected him to.
I'm not a big fan of Theodore but he did have a respectable second half and he only turned in one bad game in the playoffs, we never got to see any more.

.919 sv% in January, .906 sv% in febuary and .909 sv% in march. Not exactly the stuff of an elite goaltender but I'd definately consider that preforming.


Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
You should quit hockey as a hobby and look into arts and crafts...that might hurt your head a little less.
Yes, attack the person and not the arguement. Brilliant strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
Oh, and also...since you clearly know nothing about the Flyers or Briere I'll let you in on this little secret: he plays winger now. And just because he's playing with Giroux on the 3rd line doesn't change anything. It's for chemistry and nothing else. Sounds more like you're jealous that the Flyers can skate three legitimate scoring lines and your team can't. Without Briere we can't do that so please don't spread your incompetence anymore. Just go find a nice hole to crawl in.
3rd line centre vs. 3rd line RW makes a HUGE difference.

I'm fine with my team as is, thanks.

PS: When is the flyers next playoff game? With all that offence surely they're still in the playoffs, right? I'd love to see them tear it up sometime!

CloutierForVezina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 08:07 PM
  #73
twenty2
 
twenty2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
What team would offer something better than Jeff Carter for Roberto Luongo? Think about it, who else would offer a 6'3", young, cheap for 2 more years, 45 goal scorer, two-way center who plays PP and PK? Or anyone that could compare to that? Nobody, and the Flyers wouldn't offer it up either. Some people amaze me.
This. Luongo is not worth Carter let alone Carter+. I'd rather get a cheaper goalie and boost the defense.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 08:08 PM
  #74
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,798
vCash: 500
Luongo for Briere and Lupul? That's a good one.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 08:09 PM
  #75
Armond White
Go Sabres!
 
Armond White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oakland Zoo
Country: United States
Posts: 10,292
vCash: 500
Miller + Stafford! Doitdoitdoitdoitdoit

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.