HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Season

Old
05-15-2009, 07:05 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Let you know the details later this weekend ... just going off an email from Irish at this point ... I assume he got 900K, 925K, 925K, which would mean he only got a total of $2,212,500 of bonuses instead of the like $8,425K or so he was eligible for (max cap hit is $3,725,000 for an ELC).
Yeah I know that Kane got $3,725,000 per year which makes it even more surprising, they must have done an excellent job convincing him that he sucked in college.

This is huge though, potentially saves 2 mill off of our cap for the next 3 years.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:07 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah I know that Kane got $3,725,000 per year which makes it even more surprising, they must have done an excellent job convincing him that he sucked in college.

This is huge though, potentially saves 2 mill off of our cap for the next 3 years.
Either that or they said 'we hooked up Carter and Richards' and we'll hook you up too after the ELC if you play well, but we need the cap space so we can't give you a ton of bonuses.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:14 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Either that or they said 'we hooked up Carter and Richards' and we'll hook you up too after the ELC if you play well, but we need the cap space so we can't give you a ton of bonuses.
If so, serious props to the kid for taking it although I'm betting he probably just has a crappy agent.

Either way, for as much as Holmgren has screwed up recently, this is fantastic.

Old
05-15-2009, 07:50 PM
LondonFlyer

Being that I've been so massively bored lately I took to working out the Flyers cap problems combined with various trade rumors I've seen and some I just threw in...

If we release Knuble, Alberts, Biron, Niittymaki and trade Briere, Lupul, Carle and Jones you save $25,712,500.

Now you add:
GK: Luongo ($6,750,000), Backlund ($800,000) (seems like that's was why he was signed maybe?)

Def: Bouwmeester ($7,000,000), Scuderi ($1,000,000).

For: Zherdev ($3,000,000) (like Lupul but a bit better and a bit cheaper), Upshall ($2,000,000), Yelle ($1,000,000)

This adds on $22,425,000 bringing total cap to $55,038,750 with these lines:

GK:
Luongo (Backup - Backlund)

Def:
Timonen - Parent
Bouwmeester - Coburn
Sbisa - Scuderi

For:
Gagne - Richards - Zherdev
Hartnell - Carter - Giroux
Upshall - Yelle - Asham
Carcillo - Powe - Ross

If you don't like the players in red you've got about $8mil to play with (you could resign Knuble on a lesser deal, put Asham at center and JVR on the 3rd line for example, put Upshall on 2nd and Giroux on 1st and spend more on your Veteran Dman)...

You've got youth and experience and a bit of cap wiggle room to look towards the future with Parent and Coburn in mind for resigning next season.

LondonFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:54 PM
MountainHawk

Please let us know who you plan on trading Briere to. Remember he has a full NMC, so it has to be somewhere he would approve of.

Old
05-15-2009, 08:00 PM
LondonFlyer

Quote:
Please let us know who you plan on trading Briere to. Remember he has a full NMC, so it has to be somewhere he would approve of.
In truth I havn't thought out all the individual trades but Montreal have their top 4 forwards UFA (i think) so might look for an upgrade... Vancouver are losing half their team and I was reading (admittedly rumor) that in order to resign the Sedins + Ohlund they might look to trade in Luongo (as he is UFA next year and they don't want a Bouwmeester situation - i.e. going on a free), they might also lose Sundin and thus want a replacement (Briere is actually cheaper!!!). I didn't really think Briere was tradeable but I've read so many things that I'm inclined to believe he might be...

Old
05-15-2009, 08:19 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFlyer View Post
In truth I havn't thought out all the individual trades but Montreal have their top 4 forwards UFA (i think) so might look for an upgrade... Vancouver are losing half their team and I was reading (admittedly rumor) that in order to resign the Sedins + Ohlund they might look to trade in Luongo (as he is UFA next year and they don't want a Bouwmeester situation - i.e. going on a free), they might also lose Sundin and thus want a replacement (Briere is actually cheaper!!!). I didn't really think Briere was tradeable but I've read so many things that I'm inclined to believe he might be...
No way he approves a trade to Florida or Montreal IMO.

Not sure he approves a trade to Vancouver if Luongo is out of there either.

Old
05-15-2009, 08:28 PM
LondonFlyer

Quote:
No way he approves a trade to Florida or Montreal IMO.

Not sure he approves a trade to Vancouver if Luongo is out of there either.
Trade him with Birons rights, they're best mates... Though I think he has an NTC?

Old
05-18-2009, 09:40 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFlyer View Post
Now you add:
GK: Luongo ($6,750,000), Backlund ($800,000) (seems like that's was why he was signed maybe?)

Def: Bouwmeester ($7,000,000), Scuderi ($1,000,000).

For: Zherdev ($3,000,000) (like Lupul but a bit better and a bit cheaper), Upshall ($2,000,000), Yelle ($1,000,000)

Zherdev's prev. cap hit was $2.5m. there's no way he only gets a 500k raise. expect $3.5-4m minimum for him, or he'll go to the KHL

Upshall's ship has sailed from Philly. he won't be back and Flyers fans have to get over it. Phoenix is a better team for him to play on aswell, cause he'll get more quality icetime

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:53 PM
LondonFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Zherdev's prev. cap hit was $2.5m. there's no way he only gets a 500k raise. expect $3.5-4m minimum for him, or he'll go to the KHL

Upshall's ship has sailed from Philly. he won't be back and Flyers fans have to get over it. Phoenix is a better team for him to play on aswell, cause he'll get more quality icetime
But I like Upshall

You're probably right with Zherdev, kind of depends on what he wants to do... still $3.5 is a doable deal I think... Hell, if you can get Bouwmeester onto a longer deal then you might be able to shave a million off his cap hit, then there's even more room to play with.

Old
05-18-2009, 03:02 PM
FlyHigh

Nobody has properly explained how we trade Briere, Carle, Jones, and Lupul without taking a single dollar back not to mention how do we get Briere to waive his NMC?

I'm all for proposals, but let's stay in the realm of reality here.

Old
05-18-2009, 03:37 PM
LondonFlyer

Quote:
Nobody has properly explained how we trade Briere, Carle, Jones, and Lupul without taking a single dollar back not to mention how do we get Briere to waive his NMC?

I'm all for proposals, but let's stay in the realm of reality here.
Jones are Carle you can do what you like with, trade for picks most probably, there will most probably be takers, especially for Carle who's young and put up fairly good numbers.

I understand that Briere has the NMC but to be honest so do all our top players (NMC's or NTC's). I guess he waives it when he realizes he's being shopped around, I guess no player really wants to be on a team that don't want him... If he doesn't go its not a big deal because he's still a damn good player it just handcuffs on the cap front a bit.

Of the list I originally put up Bouwmeester, Scuderi, and Yelle are free agents. Trade a prospect to the Panthers to get in ahead of the crowd if you want, trade a prospect and one of your acquired picks or trade them Carle or Jones, etc... remember we got the rights to Hartnel and Timonen for a first rounder (if my memory serves me right?).

Zhevdev is a RFA, NYR are cap tied as well and he's not exactly fan fav at the min, trade something like the above for his rights if they don't want to sign him. Same with Upshall though admittedly this might be hard as there is little incentive for Phoenix (perhaps I just got ahead of myself there because he's ace )

That just leaves Luongo to trade for and you still have Lupul and Briere (if you can get him to wave his NMC)... work a trade out yourself Sundin and Luongo cost them about $14mil so they could take Briere and Birons rights (another NTC but seeing as he's be leaving anyway he might wave), plus othe non-cap bits like picks and prospects to sweeten to your taste, and replace the two for less, then be able to resign the Sedins and Ohlund (and the rest). Maybe something similar with Lupul who knows...

Regardless, without Briere waving his NMC you cant have Luongo and Bouwmeester maybe I'm just greedy.

Old
05-26-2009, 03:33 PM
MojoJojo

As I have it, Briere signed an 8 year contract for 52 mil, of which he has already been paid 18 mil for the two years he has been here. If we bought him out, we would have about 2.8 mil in dead cap space for the next twelve years. The annual amount doesnt concern me as much as the length of that hit. Thats a lead weight around our necks for a long, long time.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2009, 05:41 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

If Homer can somehow dump Carle, Jones, and Lupul where does that put cap wise?

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 06:04 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2360
Buried in Tim P's new column, comes this tidbit. Not sure if it is newsworthy. This is probably a rough draft but seems like Tim P. means "would not go up..."

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...419&feedID=695
Quote:

Bettman also said the salary cap would not go next season and even though revenues grew buy four percent this season, he expects them to be flat next year because of the decline of the Canadian dollar. To that end, he foresees the player salary escrow could go down by five percent. Overall, he said, “We think we had a very strong, solid season in all metrics we measure ...

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 04:24 PM
FlyHigh

David Krejci just signed a 3.75 million deal for 3 years.

Joffrey Lupul makes 4.25 mill.

Just ponder that.

Old
06-02-2009, 04:28 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:

Just ponder that.
my brain hurts

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 08:47 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:

Just ponder that.
Krejci would be making a lot more if he signed his extension in similar economic times as Lupul.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Krejci would be making a lot more if he signed his extension in similar economic times as Lupul.
Its not like the NHL and the Economy was booming in september or whenever it was Lupul signed that contract.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Its not like the NHL and the Economy was booming in september or whenever it was Lupul signed that contract.
He signed it in the summer - no one had any idea the cap was in danger of going down or stagnating at that point.

Another difference between the deals is I believe we bought out some of Lupul's free agent years while Boston is paying for Krejci's RFA years.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 10:16 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
The Dow was 3000 points higher back then than it is now and there was no widespread panic about the collapse of the derivatives market. None of that happened until October, well after Lupul signed his deal.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Buried in Tim P's new column, comes this tidbit. Not sure if it is newsworthy. This is probably a rough draft but seems like Tim P. means "would not go up..."

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...419&feedID=695
up or down. That's probably the most important word in that entire piece and it's missing.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 09:07 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
So, I've been playing with this for a while. And based on a couple assumptions:

1-No big trades
2-Biron returns for a modest increase in cap hit, 3.5 mil -> 4.0 mil
3-Likewise with Munroe (to be, sigh, our NHL backup) .475 mil -> .500mil
4-Jared Ross extends at the same cap hit (.500 mil)

I have the Flyers coming in at 58,472,167 with this lineup (which is legal if the cap doesn't fall):

Hartnell - Carter - Lupul
Gagne - Richards - Giroux
Carcillo - Briere - Asham
Kalinski - Ross - Powe

Timonen - Coburn
Carle - Parent
Jones - Sbisa

Biron and Munroe

Based on this, I think what I do is this: I move Lupul for pretty much whatever I can get, i.e. mostly cap relief, and use either that cap space or get back in the trade a 3rd line center, and a decent back up goalie. Then you can slot in some combo of Briere and Giroux as the right wingers on the first two lines.

EDIT: Almost forgot, thanks Mountain Hawk for giving me the toys to indulge my interest in Armchair GMing

Move Jones, waive Asham re-sign Knuble or another decent veteran offense player for around $2-2.5 mil and

Hartnell Carter Lupul
Gagne Richards Knuble
Carcillo Briere Giroux
Kalinski Ross Powe
Cote

COburn Timonen
Carle Parent
Sbisa ????? A similar signing to Vaananen last year (i.e. cheap and steady)

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Move Jones, waive Asham re-sign Knuble or another decent veteran offense player for around $2-2.5 mil and

Hartnell Carter Lupul
Gagne Richards Knuble
Carcillo Briere Giroux
Kalinski Ross Powe
Cote

COburn Timonen
Carle Parent
Sbisa ????? A similar signing to Vaananen last year (i.e. cheap and steady)
So what makes you think that this "new team" will beat Pittsburgh next year?? D is basically the same and we probably going to get wild card in goal.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 09:47 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2360
A bit out of place but the NHL Bylaws and Constitution are now public:

http://multimedia.thestar.com/acroba...8eb8855bec.pdf

http://multimedia.thestar.com/acroba...ad66870a42.pdf

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/646798
Quote:

All the secrets are out. The NHL constitution is now a matter of public record, as is the fact that Toronto Argonauts co-owners David Cynamon and Howard Sokolowski are among four different bidders looking to buy the Phoenix Coyotes.

Both were part of court filings today, part of the tit-for-tat messy business in the fight for the future of the Coyotes.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman revealed the five groups in a court filing today, arguing to bankruptcy court judge Redfeild Baum the team should not be sold because owner Jerry Moyes is ignoring the league's constitution.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote