HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THE informative/Nutritional thread

Old
05-15-2009, 09:03 PM
HF-Addict

vCash: 500
THE informative/Nutritional thread

Alright, it's not yet informative, but I have faith in the fellow posters and nutritionists on this board.

If I eat a steak with rice, how long before the game should I eat it?
What is the best food to eat (I'd guess pastas) and how long before the game?
Is it better to play on an empty stomach than a full stomach?
What quantity of water should we drink during a game?
What's the downside of redbull in between period?
Do beer after the game annihilate all the effort put to lose weight?
etc.

Ask your questions and please, nutritionists, share your knowledge!!

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
good topic. i'm not very wise but here's my take

i've read 2 to 4 hours before a game is optimal, and at one point that worked for me, but for some reason i prefer eating 1 hour before lightly, and again 10 minutes before lightly. but i'm sure that will turn on me sooner or later

i'd eat on an full stomache than an empty stomache. at least with a full stomache worst case scenario is you puke in the garbage can a bit, empty stomache you could feel quite a bit of stomache aches/pains trying to get a good hustle going

2 hours before the game i drink about 2 or 3 water bottles, maybe 1 or 2 water bottles and a Gatorade. drinking well before exhaustion helps prevent exhaustion. drinking during exhaustion is drinking too late

the downside of drinking redbull? I couldn't tell you with any certainty, but if it gives you a jolt that doesnt burn you out before the end of the game, possibly it is a good tactic. otherwise, if it burns you out, why even do it?

beer after the game is never the wrong option

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
good topic. i'm not very wise but here's my take

i've read 2 to 4 hours before a game is optimal, and at one point that worked for me, but for some reason i prefer eating 1 hour before lightly, and again 10 minutes before lightly. but i'm sure that will turn on me sooner or later

i'd eat on an full stomache than an empty stomache. at least with a full stomache worst case scenario is you puke in the garbage can a bit, empty stomache you could feel quite a bit of stomache aches/pains trying to get a good hustle going

2 hours before the game i drink about 2 or 3 water bottles, maybe 1 or 2 water bottles and a Gatorade. drinking well before exhaustion helps prevent exhaustion. drinking during exhaustion is drinking too late

the downside of drinking redbull? I couldn't tell you with any certainty, but if it gives you a jolt that doesnt burn you out before the end of the game, possibly it is a good tactic. otherwise, if it burns you out, why even do it?

beer after the game is never the wrong option

This works very well, within that two hour span you gotta get drinking. That way you stay hydrated longer, which results in more energy and better quality of hockey.

Usually were not hydrated enough before the game even starts and after a couple quick shifts your energy level drops dramatically.

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 10:33 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I have a table with all the info from my sports nutrition course. I'm willing to give a copy of this table in private but I won't give it here since it's taken straight from my teacher's book. It's in french, if someone wants it, PM me.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 10:35 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

There's a small resume here :

3 to 4 h. 500-800kcal 65% Carbs
2 to 3 h. 300-500kcal 70-75% Carbs
1 to 2 h. 200-250kcal 70-75% Carbs

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
Alright, it's not yet informative, but I have faith in the fellow posters and nutritionists on this board.

If I eat a steak with rice, how long before the game should I eat it?
What is the best food to eat (I'd guess pastas) and how long before the game?
Is it better to play on an empty stomach than a full stomach?
What quantity of water should we drink during a game?
What's the downside of redbull in between period?
Do beer after the game annihilate all the effort put to lose weight?
etc.

Ask your questions and please, nutritionists, share your knowledge!!
1) You should check a digestive study on this, but 3-4 hours should be enough. Anyways, steak is a bad meal before a game.

But, if you do work out a lot or have a lot of exercise hours, you should have a relatively high protein diet to turn those hours spent into more muscle mass (if that's what you want to do). Protein shakes are usually a better alternative to red meat.

2) Pasta or anything light for the system to turn into something useful for the body.

3) I'd say half-empty. You want to have your main energy supply going into the system, but you don't want to be hungry. Snacks like fruit that give great energy and are easy to digest is the best thing to have eaten shortly before exercise.

4) Depends on the person. Having drank a lot before should keep you away from dehydration, but you want to have a constant supply (so drink through the whole process).

5) Never tried.

6) 1 beer is good for the system (or at least neutral in a fitness sense), as long as you work the calories out of your system (which a good exercise like a game does).

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote