HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Here's the thing that I just can't get past.

Old
05-15-2009, 09:16 PM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
That happened several times in that game, promising rush killed by a drop pass to nobody.
Loving your passion today. I can feel the pain through your posts dude...and you seem to be alot like me....just flat out disappointed and honestly pretty mad that we have no more Bruins hockey to watch this season.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:27 PM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Loving your passion today. I can feel the pain through your posts dude...and you seem to be alot like me....just flat out disappointed and honestly pretty mad that we have no more Bruins hockey to watch this season.
Tonight is the first Sox game I've watched all year because there's no more Bruins

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:37 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusick-n-Sanderson View Post
For the record, the thing that I can't get past, even though it is one moment
in a series filled with mis-steps, is Kobasew breaking the one and only rule of sudden
death OT playoff hockey: ALWAYS put the puck on net. What the hell was that, a
4-on-2? And he tries a DROP PASS 10 feet inside the line?? That rush looked like game
over - and I just keep seeing it over and over in my head. What was he thinking??
Kobasew had Recchi close to him but Chara was two strides behind Recchi to Recchi's left. If he had just passed to Chara instead, Chara would've had a clear close-in slapshot chance.

No matter what, Soderberg would've scored there
TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:49 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I've been pissed off since I left the Garden last night. They were on the cusp of turning the corner as a franchise, and they blew it. That was a crushing loss.

It wasn't just that Carolina's strengths as a team were perfect for exploiting the weaknesses of the Bruins, they were. Its that they spotted Carolina a couple of games because the effort wasn't there, and they weren't particularly sharp in game 7. They scored both goals when guys went hard to the net, and then they stopped doing it. In their own zone, guys had time and space to get the puck out and kept giving it away, while Carolina transitioned to offense with the greatest of ease.

Poor P.J. Axelsson is still behind the Carolina net with the puck, waiting for someone to get open or to crash the net.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:59 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Quote:
I've been pissed off since I left the Garden last night. They were on the cusp of turning the corner as a franchise, and they blew it. That was a crushing loss.

It wasn't just that Carolina's strengths as a team were perfect for exploiting the weaknesses of the Bruins, they were. Its that they spotted Carolina a couple of games because the effort wasn't there, and they weren't particularly sharp in game 7. They scored both goals when guys went hard to the net, and then they stopped doing it. In their own zone, guys had time and space to get the puck out and kept giving it away, while Carolina transitioned to offense with the greatest of ease.

Poor P.J. Axelsson is still behind the Carolina net with the puck, waiting for someone to get open or to crash the net.
I just watched that part again on DVR. That bordered on being pathetic. The Carolina Dman eventually just went back and took the puck away. I don't know what was worse, PJ waiting for what seemed like hours for some help in front or the fact that he didn't just whir around and try to put the puck on the net somehow some way himself. Painful.

TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 10:02 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:

Agreed 100%

Not sure why in todays NHL the Bruins do not crash the net...ever.

Kind of fitting that's how the dagger in the heart goal was scored.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 10:08 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpfan1 View Post
The Bruins need to HATE their opponent. They need to play the Habs, Flyers and then Buffalo or NYR to win all 3 series.

Carolina was unhateable until it was too late...
Spot on.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 10:19 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post
I just watched that part again on DVR. That bordered on being pathetic. The Carolina Dman eventually just went back and took the puck away. I don't know what was worse, PJ waiting for what seemed like hours for some help in front or the fact that he didn't just whir around and try to put the puck on the net somehow some way himself. Painful.
Wallin was in front of the net, Pitkanen and Jokinen were at either hash mark in the slot. Ruutu and Samsonov are behind the play, with Samsonov just standing at the blue line. Kobasew makes a half hearted attempt at skating through the right faceoff dot with no passing lane there, Yelle goes from standing at the top of the other faceoff circle to standing at the top of the slot. Neither one of them had the balls. Even if Axelsson takes it around, the defensemen are there to get the rebound with no black shirts within 20 feet of the net. For gods sake, its overtime of the 7th game of the playoffs, show a little heart and get in there.

Savard is in the exact same position on the tying goal, Lucic says **** it and just drives hard to the net and stays there for a rebound, a bounce, whatever. Its all about ugly goals in the playoffs.

Carolina went to the net with such regularlty that Thomas was constantly getting knocked over.

Last edited by dafoomie: 05-15-2009 at 10:25 PM.
dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Neely08

In the spirit of this thread, something that often pops into my mind is, Patrice Bergeron.

We'll see his named mentioned in thread after thread this summer in theoretical trades. As well as those bringing attention to his cap hit versus offensive production. While we all theorize how best to improve our hockey team before next season, and take that next step.

There will be those who will say he's lost a step or two; his on ice vision, quick decision making ability, ability to score in the clutch and come through, as we all saw him do in the 2004 playoffs as an 18 year old. No one can deny how he hit the ground running with the weight of the team thrown on him in 2005, when this franchise was in absolute shambles. And, yet even still giving you clear hope for the future.

Some will acknowledge the cruel fate which awaited this kid, and what it must have taken him to overcome to get back, and some will not.

After coming within 1 goal of the Conference Finals for the first time in over a decade. It leaves me wondering just a little, where could the Bruins be right now with a pre-Jones Patrice Bergeron?

If Milan Lucic ever snaps and takes a 5 game suspension for turning Randy Jone's head into a bag of broken bones, don't come crying to me.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Game 7 was supposed to be an all out war. But instead we got a regular sunday afternoon game. I accept the fact that the canes had a superb plan. But I can't accept the fact we played so passive. That game 7 felt like a sucker punch to me.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 11:24 PM
ak61driver

we didnt turn the corner - we missed the corner

Quote:

Youve nailed it - until this organization " turns the corner" and KNOWS they can win in the playoffs -you will see these results - watching tonight the replay of Wings/Ducks game 7 - both teams are inspired and playing like they KNOW they deserve to advance. Im not sure what has to happen for this team to progress further than round 2 after 116 flippin points -we can argue/discuss players forever - but the Bruins have to get by the years of failing in the playoffs to hope for more. Makes last nights game all the more frustrating for us fans

ak61driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Sam the Lion
**** the Habs

Dont get me wrong, Claude Julien is the best Bruins coach in decades.

But, anyone questioning the job Maurice did with the Canes, is delusional.
His team was unfaltering, and just RELENTLESS on the forecheck, for SEVEN, brutal, physical games. Forechecking is horribly exhausting, and there is no "payday" (goal-light, ovation, etc.) except to advance your team.
I don't know how he motivated those guys (every one of em) to continue the intense, aggressive, relentless forecheck - shift after shift after shift. They just never ever quit.

Game 7, in OT, they were totally, completely gassed. They weren't even running on fumes. With each and every shift - the ice was tilting harder toward Cam Ward. . . . then came Walker.

Watch the OT again.
Somehow, Maurice got his forwards to buy in, like their lives depended on it . . . they're all done, but they beat us.

Sam the Lion is offline   Reply With Quote