HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

LeBron James vs. Sidney Crosby

View Poll Results: Who is the greater phenom?
LeBron James 208 49.06%
Sidney Crosby 216 50.94%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittiful89 View Post
Actually, I'm going to amend this with a sort of challenge: If anybody could find me a better all around athlete than Lebron James, I'd love to hear it.
I can see where u are coming from and i'll make a slight attempt as to a better athlete....

Lots of people say that baseball players arent athletes, but Albert Pujols should be on a very short list of top 5 athletes currently in the world. Anyone who follows baseball knows what im talking about.

I remember watching a Fox broadcast a while back and they talked about how these scientists tested Pujols to see just how good of an athlete he was. They did test for reflexes, hand eye, flexibility etc.. They found that Pujols ranked in the top 0.1 percent of the worlds population as far as the tests were concerned.

I'm sure people will be like 'he's a ball player, how hard is it to hit a baseball?!'. But people who know anything about sport will know that hitting a 98 mph fastball over 400 feet takes some skill....

I'm not necessarily saying Pujols is an allround better athlete than LeBron per say, but im just saying tests have shown he's a freak in baseball the way Lebron is a freak in basketball.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:08 AM
sbkbghockey

vCash: 500
LeBron James for sure!! He's a beast!!!

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:10 AM
FDBluth

I think that some context is in order here. Crosby is 21 and Lebron is 24. When Lebron was 21, he was not the same all-around dominating player that he is today. I think it's quite safe to say that Crosby has achieved more at the age of 21 than Lebron did at that same age. By the time Crosby is 24, who knows how good he'll be. He's already led his team into deep playoff runs twice and has had the highest points per game average in the league since he entered it.

Lebron was ridiculously dominant this year, however, and Crosby will have to continue to improve his game in order to garner a favorable comparison.

At the end of the day, we really won't be able to compare them until their respective careers are over.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:15 AM
pittiful89

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyfan View Post
I can see where u are coming from and i'll make a slight attempt as to a better athlete....

Lots of people say that baseball players arent athletes, but Albert Pujols should be on a very short list of top 5 athletes currently in the world. Anyone who follows baseball knows what im talking about.

I remember watching a Fox broadcast a while back and they talked about how these scientists tested Pujols to see just how good of an athlete he was. They did test for reflexes, hand eye, flexibility etc.. They found that Pujols ranked in the top 0.1 percent of the worlds population as far as the tests were concerned.

I'm sure people will be like 'he's a ball player, how hard is it to hit a baseball?!'. But people who know anything about sport will know that hitting a 98 mph fastball over 400 feet takes some skill....

I'm not necessarily saying Pujols is an allround better athlete than LeBron per say, but im just saying tests have shown he's a freak in baseball the way Lebron is a freak in basketball.
I was just thinking of who the best all around athletes were in other sports...and Pujols/Hanley Ramirez came to mind in baseball. But I doubt either would win a margin the way Lebron did here: http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/st...ete-in-the-nba

He was all-state in football as a sophomore...that's crazy.

pittiful89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Sulayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittiful89 View Post
Although I am a Pens fan, the correct answer to this question is Lebron James.

First, it is significantly easier for an individual to dominate in basketball than it is in hockey (goalies notwithstanding)- they can get the ball pretty much whenever they want it in the offensive zone. Second, I'm pretty sure that Lebron is the best athlete in the world...by that I mean that if he had taken up any sport, he would have dominated. I mean, he's the only reason I ever watch the NBA.

Ask yourself this question: "I am going to be playing a sport...I don't know what sport it is, but I get the pick of any athlete in the world to be on my team. Who should I pick?" You would be an idiot to not pick the 6'8, 240 pound guy with 4.3 speed and good enough hand eye coordination to be the best basketball player in the world.
He's actually closer to 6'9, 270

Sulayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12AL21 View Post
He's actually closer to 6'9, 270
Actually most sites have him at 6-8, 250....

Old
05-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Sulayman

Quote:
Actually most sites have him at 6-8, 250....
..And most sites are incorrect...

Old
05-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12AL21 View Post
..And most sites are incorrect...
So, what makes you correct?...have u been to his house to measure him?, and weigh him? I'm just going with what the NBA's actual website says buddy.

Old
05-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Sulayman

Quote:
So, what makes you correct?...have u been to his house to measure him?, and weigh him? I'm just going with what the NBA's actual website says buddy.
Read the February 2nd issue of SI.