HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Career vs. 5 years.

View Poll Results: ?
Gretz, Mario, and Bossy for 5 years 23 32.39%
Malkin, Ovie, and Crosby for their whole playing career 48 67.61%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-16-2009, 02:01 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
Career vs. 5 years.

Okay, lets say your team has a chance to sign Gretzky, Lemieux, and Bossy all to 5 year contracts. They're in their primes, and are willing to comply with the salary cap. But, once the contracts are up, you cannot resign them.

Now, lets say Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby are all free agents. They're willing to sign a contract that's their entire playing career. Also, they're willing to comply with the salary cap.

What do you take?

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 02:30 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

vCash: 500
15+ years of Sid Geno and OV is better than only 5 of Mario Gretz and Bossy.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 04:28 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
I'll take the 3 legends with ridiculous numbers

Its not a gurantee they'll play 10+ years

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 05:16 AM
Reds4Life

Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin for me.

Reds4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 05:26 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
Okay, lets say your team has a chance to sign Gretzky, Lemieux, and Bossy all to 5 year contracts. They're in their primes, and are willing to comply with the salary cap. But, once the contracts are up, you cannot resign them.

Now, lets say Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby are all free agents. They're willing to sign a contract that's their entire playing career. Also, they're willing to comply with the salary cap.

What do you take?
Having three players of that caliber for a career is better than having three other players for only 5 yrs.If the poll was made more fair and you could pick between the two sets with everything being even as in ---you get both trios for the same amount of time than i would even take the pair , Gretzky, Lemieux over Ovechkin, Malkin, and Crosby . Bossy is just the icing on the cake

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

If we're playing now? Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby.

If we're playing in the '80s? Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 07:26 AM
NWAvs

Crosby etc. Those first 5 years im almost 100% sure you get at least 2 cups out of that.

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 08:06 PM
shazariahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
Crosby etc. Those first 5 years im almost 100% sure you get at least 2 cups out of that.
Unless you meet my team with Gretzky, Lemieux, and Bossy in the playoffs those first 5 years. Then you go 0-5. You can win some cups after that, maybe.

shazariahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 08:20 PM
moonknight31

id take crosby, ovy and malkin career for sure

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 08:33 PM
The Puck

Might be hard to surround Gretzky, Lemieux, and Bossy with enough talent to win a cup in just 5 years, but if you have 15 years ...

Oh, and then there's the business side of things.

After the 5 years are up, your franchise is completely screwed.

But with Sid, Ovy, and Malkin, you're practically guaranteed extra revenue from marketing, selling out most games, and extra playoff revenue over the long 15 year span.

You have more time to build the rest of your team through the draft, learn through experience, and let them build chemistry.

Even with superstars like Gretzky, Lemieux, and Bossy, you're not guaranteed a Cup. These guys had a pretty good supporting cast when they won their cups, so I want some time to put the rest of my team in place.

And I don't even think Crosby, Ovy, and Malkin are much worse to begin with - if they played in Gretzky's era, they'd get 200+ point seasons too.

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 09:44 PM
shazariahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt the Dog View Post
Might be hard to surround Gretzky, Lemieux, and Bossy with enough talent to win a cup in just 5 years, but if you have 15 years ...

Oh, and then there's the business side of things.

After the 5 years are up, your franchise is completely screwed.

But with Sid, Ovy, and Malkin, you're practically guaranteed extra revenue from marketing, selling out most games, and extra playoff revenue over the long 15 year span.

You have more time to build the rest of your team through the draft, learn through experience, and let them build chemistry.

Even with superstars like Gretzky, Lemieux, and Bossy, you're not guaranteed a Cup. These guys had a pretty good supporting cast when they won their cups, so I want some time to put the rest of my team in place.

And I don't even think Crosby, Ovy, and Malkin are much worse to begin with - if they played in Gretzky's era, they'd get 200+ point seasons too.
The Oilers won a cups within 5 years, and they didn't have Bossy and Lemieux. Bossy > Kurri, and Lemieux > everyone ever who isn't named Gretzky or Orr. Gretzky and Lemieux were together for only a few games in the 1987 Canada Cup, and look at the point totals they put up! They wouldn't need 5 years to get some chemistry; they had that level of chemistry in 5 days.

And as good as Crosby, Ovy, and Malkin are, they would NOT have put up 200+ seasons. Even Lemieux couldn't quite break 200. Besides, they aren't that much better than LeCav, Dats, Parise, or St. Lou; so if Crosby, Ovy, and Malkin would have been good for 200+ each, that would mean the rest would be 170-190. Only two players have ever broken 180 ever - Gretzky and Lemieux. By your logic we'd have close to a dozen guys doing it every year!

NONE of the guys in the league today are at the level of Gretzky or Lemieux. Ovy MIGHT be close to Bossy's level, but even there I'd be hard to be convinced he is better.

As good as Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin are, two of them already play together on the same team, so really we're talking about them getting Ovechkin. That would certainly make any team better, but I'm not convinced they would dominate the way a Gretzky/Lemieux/Bossy team would. Besides, we saw those 3 play successful careers, and we have them in their best 5, all at once. There's no guarantee Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin will last their 15, and their play will begin to deteriorate with age even if they do towards the end of the 15 year run.

I'd take 5 years of glory, with 3-5 championships (does anyone really think a team with Gretz/Mario/Bossy can't win at least 3 in those 5 years? The Oilers won 4 in 5) compared to a team that will probably be better for the long run, but may only win 3 championships over 15 years.

shazariahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:16 PM
AK

Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin would win five Cups if they were together for their entire careers.

Five years of glory is nice, but 15 slightly less glorious years (or so) is better.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:55 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazariahl View Post
The Oilers won a cups within 5 years, and they didn't have Bossy and Lemieux. Bossy > Kurri, and Lemieux > everyone ever who isn't named Gretzky or Orr. Gretzky and Lemieux were together for only a few games in the 1987 Canada Cup, and look at the point totals they put up! They wouldn't need 5 years to get some chemistry; they had that level of chemistry in 5 days.

And as good as Crosby, Ovy, and Malkin are, they would NOT have put up 200+ seasons. Even Lemieux couldn't quite break 200. Besides, they aren't that much better than LeCav, Dats, Parise, or St. Lou; so if Crosby, Ovy, and Malkin would have been good for 200+ each, that would mean the rest would be 170-190. Only two players have ever broken 180 ever - Gretzky and Lemieux. By your logic we'd have close to a dozen guys doing it every year!

NONE of the guys in the league today are at the level of Gretzky or Lemieux. Ovy MIGHT be close to Bossy's level, but even there I'd be hard to be convinced he is better.

As good as Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin are, two of them already play together on the same team, so really we're talking about them getting Ovechkin. That would certainly make any team better, but I'm not convinced they would dominate the way a Gretzky/Lemieux/Bossy team would. Besides, we saw those 3 play successful careers, and we have them in their best 5, all at once. There's no guarantee Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin will last their 15, and their play will begin to deteriorate with age even if they do towards the end of the 15 year run.

I'd take 5 years of glory, with 3-5 championships (does anyone really think a team with Gretz/Mario/Bossy can't win at least 3 in those 5 years? The Oilers won 4 in 5) compared to a team that will probably be better for the long run, but may only win 3 championships over 15 years.
This.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

The goal is to win the cup, not be good for a very long time. Gretzky + ...etc

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Select Gretz, Mario and Bossy - then, package them and trade for Luongo.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 12:25 AM
The Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazariahl View Post

To me it may hinge on what the rest of the roster is like.

Do we get an average NHL team + Gretzky, Mario, Bossy?

Or a bunch of leftover schmoes, like on an expansion team?

2 or 3 guys can't carry an entire 20 man team to a Cup; it doesn't matter how great they are. There has to be a bunch of guys doing their little part.

And a half-decent goalie and defense helps, too.

If you have 15 years, you have a long time to draft and develop guys, sign guys, and find the right mix of players.

You have time to find the right coach and find the right system.

If you only have 5 years ... there is very little margin for error.

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 02:46 AM
MLSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Select Gretz, Mario and Bossy - then, package them and trade for Luongo.
Good call, I choose 0 cups too!

.....Poor Roberto , maybe next year...

MLSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 02:55 AM
Kamina
Amok

Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 10:24 AM
mytor4*

[QUOTE=Burt the Dog;19597116]

2 or 3 guys can't carry an entire 20 man team to a Cup; it doesn't matter how great they are. There has to be a bunch of guys doing their little part.

2 or 3 normal guys can't, but Gretzky, Mario, Bossy are not normal. They could easily carry a 20 man team to a cup.
Average NHL team + Gretzky, Mario, Bossy=cup easily.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Frankie Spankie

Tough choice really. I'd go for the 5 years though unless you tell me that the other three are guarenteed to not be injured and be forced to retire early. Guarentee me ~15 years and I'll consider them.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote