HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Dynamo Moscow signs Omark and Harju

Old
05-16-2009, 06:12 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
maximum rookie minor-league salary of $65,000

:
this was the deal killer fro omark, guarantteed taxable $65,000 or guaranteed non taxable $1,000,000

can't say that I blame the kid.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 07:25 AM
Antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
this was the deal killer fro omark, guarantteed taxable $65,000 or guaranteed non taxable $1,000,000

Right! At least now we know he's skilled and smart.

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post

Apparently the Oilers weren't even willing to give him a guaranteed $65K for his AHL salary So needless to say I can't blame the kid.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Apparently the Oilers weren't even willing to give him a guaranteed $65K for his AHL salary So needless to say I can't blame the kid.
I guess it is whether you believe them or not. But they also said at the time of those comments and at the time he signed with the KHL. He had not yet received their new offer as there was some kind of mix up between his US agent and Euro agent. Even though this seems like a silly area to negotiate on I would guess (yes just a guess) the Oil started out lower even on the AHL salary. To make it seem like they giving him concessions in the negotiations. I am sure they fully intended to at least offer the kid the 65k.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I guess it is whether you believe them or not. But they also said at the time of those comments and at the time he signed with the KHL. He had not yet received their new offer as there was some kind of mix up between his US agent and Euro agent. Even though this seems like a silly area to negotiate on I would guess (yes just a guess) the Oil started out lower even on the AHL salary. To make it seem like they giving him concessions in the negotiations. I am sure they fully intended to at least offer the kid the 65k.
Dale, IMO the LAST place that they should've been looking to chince out on. They wouldn't guarantee him an NHL spot so all along there was a chance that he could end up in the AHL. At the very LEAST they should've compensated there to the max because of his gamble. I honestly don't see the harm in offering him the rookie max and AHL max in good faith and leave it at that. It may not have made a difference, but when you have a team with a Billionaire owner looking to chince you on thousands of dollars, that doesn't send a very good signal IMO.

Old
05-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Dale, IMO the LAST place that they should've been looking to chince out on. They wouldn't guarantee him an NHL spot so all along there was a chance that he could end up in the AHL. At the very LEAST they should've compensated there to the max because of his gamble. I honestly don't see the harm in offering him the rookie max and AHL max in good faith and leave it at that. It may not have made a difference, but when you have a team with a Billionaire owner looking to chince you on thousands of dollars, that doesn't send a very good signal IMO.
Tell me BBO, why should the Oilers nor any NHL team guarantee a spot to a rookie. It's not the way it works. Omark had to earn his spot and it appears he didn't want to do that.

Last edited by Narnia: 05-16-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 08:34 PM
MerryJ99

Quote:
No Rookie can be signed to a one way contract... I also think that would have been the Oilers biggest hurdle regardless. That is what the KHL is hoping for though. They can take advantage of the fact that the NHL teams must sign Rookies to no more than the max and cannot guarantee them time in the NHL. The KHL can offer these Kids a lot more in terms of Monetary Value. What option would you choose given the choice? He made the right choice if he wanted a payday.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
No Rookie can be signed to a one way contract... I also think that would have been the Oilers biggest hurdle regardless. That is what the KHL is hoping for though. They can take advantage of the fact that the NHL teams must sign Rookies to no more than the max and cannot guarantee them time in the NHL. The KHL can offer these Kids a lot more in terms of Monetary Value. What option would you choose given the choice? He made the right choice if he wanted a payday.
Keep wondering how the KHL is going to practically apply its recent decision to draft 17 year olds. With no entry level restrictions like the NHL, it could take the cream of European rookies and sign them to contracts that the NHL can't touch. And what about gifted 17 year old North Americans?

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Tell me BBO, why should the Oilers nor any NHL guarantee a spot to a rookie. It's not the way it works. Omark had to earn his spot and it appears he didn't want to do that.
It's not about guaranteeing him an NHL spot, it should not be done unless we are talking about Malkin, Ovechkin, etc. However trying to chince out on the AHL contract (which Omark clearly didn't appreciate) that is negotiating dirty IMO. At least reward him for coming over and working on his game in North America if he isn't quite ready for giving up a chance at the big bucks in Europe. That was my biggest issue with the negotiations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
True but being cheap on the AHL deal??? That's a shot below the belt if I've ever seen one.

Old
05-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's not about guaranteeing him an NHL spot, it should not be done unless we are talking about Malkin, Ovechkin, etc. However trying to chince out on the AHL contract (which Omark clearly didn't appreciate) that is negotiating dirty IMO. At least reward him for coming over and working on his game in North America if he isn't quite ready for giving up a chance at the big bucks in Europe. That was my biggest issue with the negotiations.
He wanted a guarantee to be in the NHL and a one-way contract. The Oilers couldn't give him a one-way contract as it would be breaking the CBA rule. Omark wanted a guarantee roster spot in the NHL and the Oilers wouldn't give it to him. He had to earn a spot and it appears Omark didn't want to do that. Is Omark your son that you're defending Omark in order to criticize the Oilers?

Old
05-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
He wanted a guarantee to be in the NHL and a one-way contract. The Oilers couldn't give him a one-way contract as it would be breaking the CBA rule. Omark wanted a guarantee roster spot in the NHL and the Oilers wouldn't give it to him. He had to earn a spot and it appears Omark didn't want to do that. Is Omark your son that you're defending Omark in order to criticize the Oilers?
Him demanding an NHL spot was wrong, however demanding an AHL max salary wasn't because of what he could be giving up if he didn't make the team, end of story. It might still be in everyone's best interest that he signed in the KHL unless he tears it up there and gets offered even more $ in the near future. The NHL may need to change some things around or this could be a continuing issue with the KHL.

Old
05-16-2009, 10:43 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
You don't need to be Omark's son to criticize Oiler management, you just need to be sane.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Him demanding an NHL spot was wrong, however demanding an AHL max salary wasn't because of what he could be giving up if he didn't make the team, end of story. It might still be in everyone's best interest that he signed in the KHL unless he tears it up there and gets offered even more $ in the near future. The NHL may need to change some things around or this could be a continuing issue with the KHL.
Even if the Oilers had given him the AHL max, Omark would not have been satisfied as it's only 65,000 and Omark wanted more. I read somewhere that he wanted close to $2M and I assume that includes bonuses. The Oilers couldn't give him more than a base salary of $875,000 and in that the signing bonus is included. He wanted more than what the Oilers could give him because of the CBA. The Oilers couldn't break the CBA rules.

Old
05-17-2009, 12:59 AM
bzur

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
You don't need to be Omark's son to criticize Oiler management, you just need to be sane.
Nope, just be able to read. Zing!

But seriously, if Omark was to come here, he's not the kind of guy that you put in a 3rd or 4th line role from what I've seen... At least I doubt he'd be happy there. In order for the Oilers to guarantee him a spot it'd most likely have to be in the top 6. Who is he going to replace? It's a really tough position from an Oilers standpoint when you don't even know how the game would translate into North American hockey. If he was really wanting a guarantee that he'd be in the NHL it seems kind of silly when you break it down like that.

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

From: http://oilers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=424218

“Size is an issue because we have a lot of small players at his point,” Prendergast admits. “But the thing he does very well is that the size doesn’t hamper him – he plays very gritty. He plays like a bigger player. He competes in the areas. He wants the puck.”

What he lacks in size, he makes up in attitude. His 14 penalty minutes at the 2009 WCs were the most among the tournament’s top 30 scorers. Nobody else topped 10.

According to Prendergast, that intensity translates off the ice as well.

“You have to look at everything when you’re looking at prospects, and personality has a lot to do with it,” the Oilers exec explains. “A lot of times, the way they play on the ice is their personality. He’s cocky. He plays that way on the ice. He’s very sure of himself, which is always good to have in a hockey player, and his goal is to play in the NHL.”

Unfortunately for Oilers fans, Omark has decided to wait at least one more year before shooting for that goal. In April, the Overtornea native committed to the KHL’s Moscow Dynamo for 2009-10, with an option to play a second a year.

Prendergast understands – and supports – the decision.

“He had a hell of an offer to play in Russia, which is fine – we weren’t going to match it money-wise. We have a lot of small players right now so it isn’t going to hurt him to play a year in Russia. He’s going to get better there.”

As for 2010-11, Prendergast is hopeful fans in Edmonton will get to see the Swedish shootout star in person regularly. “From our standpoint, we didn’t feel it was a priority at this point to get him here, but at this time next year we would like to have him as part of the organization.”

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote