HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 2010 LA KINGS!

Old
05-17-2009, 05:49 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
As well he should. I'd rather see Voynov or Martinez if we are going to have a rookie play next season. Hickey should get a 5-10 game midseason call-up.

My Line-up (without any new players)

Frolov-Kopitar-Williams
Moller-Stoll-Brown
Richardson-Zus-Simmonds
Boyle-Lewis-Purcell
Clune, Armstrong, Ivanans

Doughty-Drewiske
Quincey-Greene
OD-Johnson
Martinez, Harrold

Quick
Iceberg

Not terrible... but barely an 8th seed if no one under-performs and Quick doesn't lapse at all.

Needs more goal-bell.
I have it pegged pretty much the same. I personally like that team as is. If every player performs to their full ability, we could see major improvement next year. Of course, it would be nice to get some FA help, but I don't think it's quite as necessary at this stage of the game as some people make it out to be. We could cash in huge if we wait it out til next offseason. Then, the economy could be in way worse shape and UFAs would be going for a lot less. All other teams would be in cap hell, and we could come away with some nice prizes at a huge discount. I don't know about you guys, but I think I can swallow another season of mediocrity if it means huge rewards later on. Speaking of next year's UFAs, does anyone happen to have a short list of them, the big names at the very least?

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
I have it pegged pretty much the same. I personally like that team as is. If every player performs to their full ability, we could see major improvement next year. Of course, it would be nice to get some FA help, but I don't think it's quite as necessary at this stage of the game as some people make it out to be. We could cash in huge if we wait it out til next offseason. Then, the economy could be in way worse shape and UFAs would be going for a lot less. All other teams would be in cap hell, and we could come away with some nice prizes at a huge discount. I don't know about you guys, but I think I can swallow another season of mediocrity if it means huge rewards later on. Speaking of next year's UFAs, does anyone happen to have a short list of them, the big names at the very least?
You might be able to wait it out.....But will the average fan be able to stomach another losing season? Will they spend their hard earned money on an obviously inferior product in an uncertain economy? If the Kings lose enough ticket sales will AEG give Dean the green light to spend $10 million more on the team's roster while they are losing season ticket holders by the dozens. It is a nice theory that waiting it out could benefit the team in the long run....but it isn't very practical.

Just to illustrate my point the Kings attendance since the lockout has been gradually dwindling.

2005-06 Total: 731,405 Average: 17,839 League ranking: #11
2006-07 Total: 691,229 Average: 16,859 League Ranking: #16
2007-08 Total: 680,877 Average: 16,606 League Ranking: #21
2008-09 Total: 676,402 Average: 16,488 League Ranking: #22

In 4 seasons time the Kings have lost over 54,000 attendees that would equate to about $2.7 million in revenue (assuming an average of $50 being paid by fans). While going from one of the top 11 teams in average attendance to being in the bottom 9. Do you think AEG is aware of this disturbing trend? Do you think they want it to continue? How can they stop losing ticket sales and therefore stop losing revenue?How much longer will ownership let this continue before they demand results from Dean?

Last edited by Captain Ron: 05-17-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in LA View Post
The kings need a 1a/1b center. I have been saying this for years. What has Richardson done to warrant 4th line duty? Move Boyle to LW & see what happens.

Gaborik is not going to happen. Kovi is not going to happen.

Frolov/Kopitar/Williams
Moller/center/Brown
Boyle/Stoll/Purcell
Simmonds/Zus/Moen
I we would stop to being "*******" and stop that, "don't hurt the other GM's feelings"... our 1b Center would be named Krejci for absolutely low cost.
But ... to many here are on that, wanna be the best friends of other GM's trip.
Don't even know Lombardi is thinking of a dirty move like that.

but..........

But what do you guys think, how many other teams would step away from signing Frolov or Johnson for low cost if they get the chance ????
I know at least 1 team who doesn't ...... just say: Coffey, Schneider, Luc..........

Last edited by Kurrilino: 05-17-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I cannot see Dean acquiring Gaborik to have more scoring on the left side and then put him on the right wing of the same line as Frolov. Also I think Hickey will probably make the team before Teubert.
Gaborik is a RW even though he shoots left. You know Captain that the new generation of players like playing on the offside so they have better angle shots. So really we need Left Handed shooters not so much LW.

Brown (RH) is fine playing LW
Frolov (RH) prefers playing LW
Williams (RH) prefers playing RW

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I think the lines will be similar to last year without Calder & Gauthier but I would LOVE to see Clune make the roster on the 4th line.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Gaborik is a RW even though he shoots left. You know Captain that the new generation of players like playing on the offside so they have better angle shots. So really we need Left Handed shooters not so much LW.

Frolov (RH) prefers playing LW
Williams (RH) prefers playing RW
When Kopitar and Brown were interviewed they mentioned needing help on the left side....not needing a left handed player. If you put Gaborik on a line with Frolov and Kopitar it does not fix the overall weakness on the left side. If the 1st line can be shut down then the Kings lose the majority of their offense.

Old
05-17-2009, 02:19 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Yeah Brown CAN play LW, but I think he is far more effective on the RW.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 02:22 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
When Kopitar and Brown were interviewed they mentioned needing help on the left side....not needing a left handed player. If you put Gaborik on a line with Frolov and Kopitar it does not fix the overall weakness on the left side. If the 1st line can be shut down then the Kings lose the majority of their offense.
I agree. We need another LW so Frolov can stay on the 2nd line, where he ultimately belongs. Frolov has always been one of our primary scorers in a secondary role. The idea is to keep him in that secondary scoring role where we know he can put up good points while adding another primary scorer so that we aren't getting our most goals from a guy in a secondary role. Frolov on the second line makes us a MUCH more dangerous team if there is someone as good or better than he is on the first.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 05:28 PM
LeanSixSigma

The Kings should be looking at picking up someone who can score at least 25+ goals. Horton seems to get at least that and perhaps a change of scenery might do him and the Kings good. Perhaps his $4 mil contract might appeal to DL.

Horton Kopitar Williams
Frolov Stoll Moller
Brown Handzus Simmonds
Boyle Lewis Purcell

Ivanans, Richardson

Doughty Greene
Johnson O' Donnell
Drewiske Quincey
Harrold

Quick
Ersberg

LeanSixSigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMK33 View Post
The Kings should be looking at picking up someone who can score at least 25+ goals. Horton seems to get at least that and perhaps a change of scenery might do him and the Kings good. Perhaps his $4 mil contract might appeal to DL.

Horton Kopitar Williams
Frolov Stoll Moller
Brown Handzus Simmonds
Boyle Lewis Purcell

Ivanans, Richardson

Doughty Greene
Johnson O' Donnell
Drewiske Quincey
Harrold

Quick
Ersberg
So....who are the Kings trading to get Horton? I do not see any major players missing from the lineup.

Old
05-17-2009, 05:59 PM
LeanSixSigma

a 2nd, Martinez and Clune at least.

LeanSixSigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMK33 View Post
a 2nd, Martinez and Clune at least.
The Panthers signed him to a 6 year deal just about 2 years ago.....and think they might trade him for a 2nd round pick, a lower tier prospect (Martinez) and another prospect that Dallas gave up on (Clune)?

Old
05-17-2009, 06:23 PM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans
We're not good trade partners for Florida, and vice versa. They almost made the playoffs this year and with Bouwmeester already (probably) leaving, I don't think they're in any position to trade Horton for futures. They'd want roster players back and we don't have many of those to part with. The one situation I could potentially see is something built around Johnson. Florida might feel they've got a good shot at one of the marquee forwards and (in effect) replace Bouwmeester and Horton with Johnson and Gaborik. But barring some insanely large combination, I don't think we can land Horton for futures.

hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 06:59 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I agree. We need another LW so Frolov can stay on the 2nd line, where he ultimately belongs. Frolov has always been one of our primary scorers in a secondary role. The idea is to keep him in that secondary scoring role where we know he can put up good points while adding another primary scorer so that we aren't getting our most goals from a guy in a secondary role. Frolov on the second line makes us a MUCH more dangerous team if there is someone as good or better than he is on the first.
Could not agree more. The problem with the Kings for years is they have been pushing players up the depth chart by signing garbage free agents rather than pushing players down the depth chart. Signing Gaborik makes so much sense. It would also pretty much eliminate Minnesota from playoff contention next season so there would be 1 less challenger to the Kings. Calder, Rasmussen, Klatt, etc.-it's time to complete the top 6 and not with a journeyman depth player.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Kings man 4 life

Why are so many people throwing Brown under the bus and putting him on the 3rd line after a bad season?

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
I don't know. May they doesn't follow Hockey close enough to judge him fair.
I mean the whole team was a disaster last year. No exception.
The only thing i would point out that he isn't really a captain... or better said not yet.
I think Williams would fit that position better

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Brown - Kopitar - Gaborik/Hossa
Frolov - Stoll - Williams
Moller - Handzus - Purcell
Lewis - Yelle - Simmonds
(Richardson / Boyle)

Johnson - Doughty
Quincey - Greene
O'Donnell - Drewiske
(Harrold)

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:38 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaelWho View Post
Brown - Kopitar - Gaborik/Hossa
Moller - Handzus - Purcell
Lewis - Yelle - Simmonds
(Richardson / Boyle)

Johnson - Doughty
Quincey - Greene
O'Donnell - Drewiske
(Harrold)
Looked at this for a second, and thought "What's different here that I haven't seen in almost every other line-up mock-up?" Then I saw Yelle. Big whoop dee doo. Sorry, but Yelle on the 4th line doesn't really make a splash with me. I'd rather Armstrong come back or Boyle take that spot.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:41 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
Why are so many people throwing Brown under the bus and putting him on the 3rd line after a bad season?
They probably play a lot of Xbox. Brown is either on the 1st or 2nd line or he's off the team. He is not a 3rd liner. Same people who put Gaborik on the 2nd line. If the Kings sign Gaborik he'll be hyped like no other and will get a ton of ice time, probably the most of any forward.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 03:15 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Looked at this for a second, and thought "What's different here that I haven't seen in almost every other line-up mock-up?" Then I saw Yelle. Big whoop dee doo. Sorry, but Yelle on the 4th line doesn't really make a splash with me. I'd rather Armstrong come back or Boyle take that spot.
I'm a believer that our lineup is pretty close to complete, as far as talent goes at least. Our problems this year mainly lied in consistency and offensive depth. With the poise that Moller, Purcell, Simmonds showed in the offensive zone last year as rookies, as well as the play of Lewis and Boyle in the minors, I think the offense problem will solve itself soon enough. A guy like Gaborik or Hossa would be the piece that adds a dynamic side to our offensive game, but I don't think depth will be a problem once these guys mature, so there's no point in going out and signing or trading for guys to clog up the top nine other than that one big-name scorer.

I think the money should be spent elsewhere.

Primarily on locking up Alexander Frolov, but also on Kyle Quincey and Jon Quick, who are already key members of the team and will command pay raises if they can maintain their level of play. You have to value the chemistry these guys have built with their fellow players.

The other place I would put money is in the bottom part of the lineup. At one point, we had guys like Robitaille and Norstrom providing leadership and experience from depth roles, but that hasn't been the case lately (see: Roenick, Blake, etc.). Rather than try to throw our young team entirely to the wolves in the later part of the season and playoffs, we need more Sean O'Donnell's: veteran players capable of playing a consistent game in a minor role who provide a good example without being a liability. The many young players who cluttered our lineup last year showed plenty of creativity offensively, but most don't have the defensive prowess to match up against other team's top players. While our top players have become better defensively, we shouldn't have to depend on them for that.

That's where a guy like Yelle comes in. Yelle won two cups with the Avs and has been to the finals four times. In total he's played in 154 playoff games. Neither Armstrong or Boyle have ever played in an NHL playoff game. Although he's a step slower these days, he's still one of the most intelligent players in the league defensively. Put him on a line with Trevor Lewis and Wayne Simmonds and let them watch, learn, and develop into a stopper unit which can maintain itself after Yelle's departure. At the same time, having four defensively capable lines gives the coach more flexibility, rather than having to dread giving a line like Ivanans - Armstrong - Richardson shifts against another team's gifted players.

The last place I'd put money is Matthias Ohlund, but I don't think we'll have room for him financially, and I though Drewiske should be capable of at least bottom-four minutes.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:20 AM
Jwm1986

i think the chance of us landing Hossa is very very small, as it is with every other team not named detroit.

They will probably work their magic and give him one of those ridiculous franzen contracts by having him "play" until he is 42

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:46 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Brown - Kopitar - Gaborik
Purcell - Handzus - Simmonds
Lewis - Boyle - Moller

Johnson - Doughty
Hickey - Greene
Gauther - OD

Bernier
Quick

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 09:40 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

I see Moller in every post, I just don't see him playing, he is tiny. He cant handle the corners or the boards, DL wants to go with bigger bodies, High end skill for smaller players yes, Moller just isn't that. Sorry folks I think he will be dealt. If not, he shouldn't be in our top six.

Franzen Kopi Wiliams
Frolov Staal/Frolik Brown
Simmonds Zues Horton
Richardson Lewis Ivans/Zieler

DD Johnson
Green KQ
OD Hickey

Quick
Ersberg

If J Staal wont do, Id even put M. Frolik in there.

Last edited by saintsnsoldiers: 05-18-2009 at 09:56 AM.
saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:02 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
I see Moller in every post, I just don't see him playing, he is tiny. He cant handle the corners or the boards, DL wants to go with bigger bodies, High end skill for smaller players yes, Moller just isn't that. Sorry folks I think he will be dealt. If not, he shouldn't be in our top six.

Franzen Kopi Wiliams
Frolov Staal/Frolik Brown
Simmonds Zues Horton
Richardson Lewis Ivans/Zieler

DD Johnson
Green KQ
OD Hickey

Quick
Ersberg

If J Staal wont do, Id even put M. Frolik in there.

Franzen??? lol, Detroit just signed him to an 11 year deal.

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:53 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post
Franzen??? lol, Detroit just signed him to an 11 year deal.
Ug....

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote