HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chuck Kobasew for a mobile puck moving dman?

Old
05-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMaker View Post
Fair 'nuf. Here's a few more guys for you to comment on...

Hamhuis
Russel
Giordano
Grebeshkov
Krajicek

Grebeshkov and Hamhuis would have more value than Kobasew.

I know from an Oilers perspective I would defintly want more than Kobasew to even start the Grebs discussions.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Babchuk View Post
Corvo?

(Or F.Kaberle? )
I'd be all over Joe Corvo. But why would Carolina move him? Is he in play this summer? I thought he was one of your better players in the 2nd round... But hey, if that deal works for Carolina, count me in.

Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 09:01 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'd be all over Joe Corvo. But why would Carolina move him? Is he in play this summer? I thought he was one of your better players in the 2nd round... But hey, if that deal works for Carolina, count me in.
Corvo has been very good, but I'd like to get a winger to play with Staal (I'm not a big Cole fan) and Kobasew/Staal had great chemistry together during the lockout.

The Hurricanes have two other good offensive defensemen in Pitkanen/Babchuk as well as a very good propsect in McBain. With Corvo being a UFA next summer and the cap likely coming down, the Hurricanes may not be able to re-sign him.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Corvo has been very good, but I'd like to get a winger to play with Staal (I'm not a big Cole fan) and Kobasew/Staal had great chemistry together during the lockout.

The Hurricanes have two other good offensive defensemen in Pitkanen/Babchuk as well as a very good propsect in McBain. With Corvo being a UFA next summer and the cap likely coming down, the Hurricanes may not be able to re-sign him.
Well then that could be a really good fit for both sides.

Old
05-17-2009, 07:54 AM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

Kobasew article

This is from last week in the Raleigh paper. The Canes were hoping to draft Kobasew in 2001, but it didn't happen.

05-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Fair 'nuf. Here's a few more guys for you to comment on...

Hamhuis
Russel
Giordano
Grebeshkov
Krajicek
As a Flames fan I would love to have Kobasew back... unfortunately we are in a similar cap situation... but I would be willing to discuss something involving Kobasew & Giordano if a 3rd team could be involved to shed some salary

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I doubt this is true. Brian Murray was reportly keen to acquire Campoli all season. He finally landed him at the reasonable cost of a 26th overall, and he fit in fine on the Senators blueline. I doubt Murray surrenders him now just to get the 25th overall.

And, Kobasew and a first is overpayment for Campoli. But, personally, I doubt that the Senators would do that as well. I think Campoli is in their longterm plans.
Campoli and a 3rd in 2010
for
Kobasew and Boston's 1st in 2009

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfofthesteppes View Post
Kobasew article

This is from last week in the Raleigh paper. The Canes were hoping to draft Kobasew in 2001, but it didn't happen.
Good stuff. I wonder if you guys would be interested in Ward as well? He makes $2.5M for one more year, and I thought there was some speculation that the Canes would make an offer if he made it to UFA last year...

He's been excellent for the B's, playing in our top shut down pair, but because the B's have so many stat at home dmen, he'd be the guy I'd replace with a guy like Corvo.

Old
05-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
As a Flames fan I would love to have Kobasew back... unfortunately we are in a similar cap situation... but I would be willing to discuss something involving Kobasew & Giordano if a 3rd team could be involved to shed some salary
Who would be the salary dump on the Flames end?

Old
05-17-2009, 10:38 AM
oilers4life5

what whould you gives us for one of Grebishkov or Gilbert (or both) we could add more if needed. The oilers would would have interest Wheeler,Kessel,Lucic or Krejci.
Anyone on our team is avaliable.

would Vishnovsky get the conversation started?

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
what whould you gives us for one of Grebishkov or Gilbert (or both) we could add more if needed. The oilers would would have interest Wheeler,Kessel,Lucic or Krejci.
Anyone on our team is avaliable.

would Vishnovsky get the conversation started?
The Bruins can't afford Gilbert. The point of dealing a player from Boston is to shed salary.

I like Grebs but I wouldn't give up any of the guys you mentioned for him, especially since he is a RFA.

Zero interest in Vish as again, his salary is prohibitive.

Edmonton and Boston just don't match up well as you don't have the affordable puck mover we are looking for.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 03:28 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
Fwiw, I thought of Toronto because I've read a couple quotes from Burke about the kind of player he wants- that 'type' of player is Chuck Kobasew.

But with that said, I'd be hesitant to 'overpay' for a player that TO fans couldn't give away a couple months ago.
A couple of months? Perhaps at the start of the season? Of course, that was before his resurgence. He had a great season (hence the invite to the WC's).

Kobasew is a player that Burke would like, I think. Not at the expense of White though.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 03:53 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I don't see Toronto giving up White for Kobasew, but maybe a guy like Mike Van Ryn

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 08:25 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Good stuff. I wonder if you guys would be interested in Ward as well? He makes $2.5M for one more year, and I thought there was some speculation that the Canes would make an offer if he made it to UFA last year...

He's been excellent for the B's, playing in our top shut down pair, but because the B's have so many stat at home dmen, he'd be the guy I'd replace with a guy like Corvo.
No interest in Ward at that price. The 'Canes really can't afford to take on any salary with all of the impending FAs that they need to re-sign.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Laterade

Quote:
No interest in Ward at that price. The 'Canes really can't afford to take on any salary with all of the impending FAs that they need to re-sign.
what what it cost Vancouver to get Babchuck off your hands?

Laterade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:19 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Problem with Krajicek - at least on the Canucks (I have no idea how well he played with the Bolts or Panthers) - was that he didn't seem to distribute the puck all that well nor have a great shot from the point from my POV.
Having watched about 40 Lightning games this year, Krajicek would struggle to crack the top 6 on the B's when everyone is healthy. Hunwick, Chara, Ferrence, Stuart, Ward, and Wideman are all better than his at this point. He's worse now than he was in Vancouver, and he is tangibly worse than Shane O'Brien, who he was traded for.

For the record, I would absolutely hate to see the Bruins trade Kobasew. He is really tough to play against, finishes every check, and is good for 20+ goals a year. Those guys typically make more than he's making in the prime of their careers.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Talentless Practise*

Kobasew makes 2.3 per year. If you want to shed salary in the process then you're looking at either a bad puckmover or a prospect puckmover. You're not getting a good, proven puckmover making under 2.3 for Kobasew.

If i were the Bruins i'd offer Sturm and a pick for someone a bit better/with more upside.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:31 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless Practise View Post
Kobasew makes 2.3 per year. If you want to shed salary in the process then you're looking at either a bad puckmover or a prospect puckmover. You're not getting a good, proven puckmover making under 2.3 for Kobasew.

If i were the Bruins i'd offer Sturm and a pick for someone a bit better/with more upside.
I'm a Sturm guy so it pains me to say this, but Kobasew actually has far more trade value than Sturm does right now. Sturm has a NMC in his contract, so you'd have to get him to waive that first. And even if he was open to a trade, he's 4 years older than Kobasew, makes a million more per year, and is coming off of major knee surgery. Kobasew just turned 27, has three 20 goal seasons under his belt, and is coming off a year that (for anyone who watched the Bruins on a regular basis will tell you) where he was impactful every night. I'm hope and think that Sturm will bounce back next year to be a 30 goal guy, but he's got a lot working against him in terms of trade value.

Old
05-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
I'm a Sturm guy so it pains me to say this, but Kobasew actually has far more trade value than Sturm does right now. Sturm has a NMC in his contract, so you'd have to get him to waive that first. And even if he was open to a trade, he's 4 years older than Kobasew, makes a million more per year, and is coming off of major knee surgery. Kobasew just turned 27, has three 20 goal seasons under his belt, and is coming off a year that (for anyone who watched the Bruins on a regular basis will tell you) where he was impactful every night. I'm hope and think that Sturm will bounce back next year to be a 30 goal guy, but he's got a lot working against him in terms of trade value.
Completely beside the point.

Point is, if you are looking to trade Kobasew for a puckmoving defenceman AND save salary in the process, you are looking at a defender making less than 1.5M in order to save any meaningful salary.

Now if any team has a decent/good puckmover making 1.5 or less, he has more value than Kobasew, plain and simple. And surely you aren't looking for a defenceman making 1.5 or less because he isn't that good.

By trading Sturm who makes more (didn't know he had a NMC but whatever) you could take on more salary while still saving cap space. For example, Tom Preissing hasn't been a good fit with the Kings at all and has been injured but has proven to be a capable puckmover in the NHL. Joe Corvo is another option and would be in the Sturm + pick price range.

It might be easier to trade Kobasew for a pick + prospect type return, sign a guy like Seidenberg/Leopold and give Kobasew's icetime for Bitz/Sobotka/Lehtonen

I'd like to have a guy like Kobasew in Anaheim but we don't have a puckmover to give you, apart from prospects.

What's wrong with Hunwick BTW?

Last edited by Talentless Practise*: 05-18-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Campoli and a 3rd in 2010
for
Kobasew and Boston's 1st in 2009
As a Sens fan and a Campoli lover, I reluctantly agree. I could see Kobasew fitting in really nicely on a line with Fish 'n Foligno. And after this trade (if we resign Comrie it basically ends up being:

McAmond, 3rd 2010

Kobasew, Comrie

Because the two first round picks basically even each other out.
It's definitely something that could prove helpful to both teams I think.

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:25 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Completely beside the point.

Point is, if you are looking to trade Kobasew for a puckmoving defenceman AND save salary in the process, you are looking at a defender making less than 1.5M in order to save any meaningful salary.

Now if any team has a decent/good puckmover making 1.5 or less, he has more value than Kobasew, plain and simple. And surely you aren't looking for a defenceman making 1.5 or less because he isn't that good.

By trading Sturm who makes more (didn't know he had a NMC but whatever) you could take on more salary while still saving cap space. For example, Tom Preissing hasn't been a good fit with the Kings at all and has been injured but has proven to be a capable puckmover in the NHL. Joe Corvo is another option and would be in the Sturm + pick price range.

It might be easier to trade Kobasew for a pick + prospect type return, sign a guy like Seidenberg/Leopold and give Kobasew's icetime for Bitz/Sobotka/Lehtonen

I'd like to have a guy like Kobasew in Anaheim but we don't have a puckmover to give you, apart from prospects.

I understood where you were coming from, and you make a good point in terms of their relative salaries, but my point was that Kobasew + pick is just a better package right now than Sturm + pick given all the stuff tied to Sturm (NMC, Salary, major knee surgery), and quite frankly the fact that Kobasew was one of the most consistent Bruins all year in terms of compete level, jam, physicality, etc...plus he popped 20+ again, plus he's 27. I'd prefer not to move him at all because I think his salary is beyond fair for what he brings every night, but I believe that his trade value is higher than most people give him credit for.

IMO, he's one of those guys that got lost behind the headlines of other storylines on a good team (Wheeler, Krejci, Kessel, Ryder's and Bergeron's reimergence, Lucic, etc.), but got it done largely playing 5v5 and 3rd line minutes. Every good team has these guys, San Jose has Clowe, Washington has Laich, Detroit has guys like Cleary and Hudler and Sameullson, Carolina with Cullen....guys that are so much more sought after by NHL GM's than they are by posters here on HFBoards. If you want the perfect comparison, take a guy like Chris Kunitz. Undersized, tough to play against and willing to go to the net, and usually scores in the 20-25 goal range (they both have three 20 goal seasons under their belts though Kobasew is three years younger). Kunitz and a decent prospect got Anaheim a solid puck moving defenseman back, so why would Kobasew and a decent prospect not get the same type of return?

Old
05-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
What's wrong with him as in, his injury? Or what's wrong with him, as in, "don't you already have a puckmover in Hunwick?"

The answer to the first question is that Hunwick had an emergency splenectomy that kept him out of rd 2. Otherwise, he was tremendous for the B's this year, and has a bright future as an elite-skating, puck mover. But I (and apparently B's mgmnt) want more mobility than just Hunwick and Ference (who's always injured) on the B's blue line.

The B's achilles heel against Carolina was that they couldn't get past their forecheck without the retrieval abilities of Hunwick and Ference (who had a torn groin). Chara, Wideman, Ward and Stuart just don't have great mobility. Look at the teams in the Conf Finals, all of them have several good skaters and outlet passers on the backend.

I'd like to see the B's move Kobasew for that guy. He doesn't have to be a stud. Just another 3/4/5 guy who can move. Like the guys I mentioned in the OP. And with that guy in tow, I think Ward would be the odd man out on the rebuilt defense. Which is a shame, because he's been excellent in the top pair for the B's from day1 right up until game7, but he makes $2.3M and like you said, the B's are unlikely to save much money by dealing Kobasew alone for the puck mover they need.

In short...

OUT: Kobasew and Ward (in a separate deal) for a total of $4.83M
IN: An affordable (under $3M) number 3, 4 or 5 dman who can skate and move the puck.

Old
05-19-2009, 02:37 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
The B's achilles heel against Carolina was that they couldn't get past their forecheck without the retrieval abilities of Hunwick and Ference (who had a torn groin). Chara, Wideman, Ward and Stuart just don't have great mobility. Look at the teams in the Conf Finals, all of them have several good skaters and outlet passers on the backend.

I'd like to see the B's move Kobasew for that guy. He doesn't have to be a stud. Just another 3/4/5 guy who can move. Like the guys I mentioned in the OP. And with that guy in tow, I think Ward would be the odd man out on the rebuilt defense. Which is a shame, because he's been excellent in the top pair for the B's from day1 right up until game7, but he makes $2.3M and like you said, the B's are unlikely to save much money by dealing Kobasew alone for the puck mover they need.

In short...

OUT: Kobasew and Ward (in a separate deal) for a total of $4.83M
IN: An affordable (under $3M) number 3, 4 or 5 dman who can skate and move the puck.
posted this on the bruins board, and i'll say it hear to, the problem was not a lack of puck moving mobile D'men for boston.

Having Hunwick in over Hnidy or Monty would have been ideal.

Having Ference as well over Hnidy or Monty would have been ideal.

Saying Wideman isnt mobile???

While it would be nice to add another D-men, if hes not a puck moving, mobile, physical presence (as in a top two guy) theres not much to add. Chara, Wideman, Stuart, Ward, Ference and Hunwick work just fine for me.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 02:48 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
posted this on the bruins board, and i'll say it hear to, the problem was not a lack of puck moving mobile D'men for boston.

While it would be nice to add another D-men, if hes not a puck moving, mobile, physical presence (as in a top two guy) theres not much to add. Chara, Wideman, Stuart, Ward, Ference and Hunwick work just fine for me.
Ditto for me. I know it's human nature (for both fans and GM's alike) to contemplate which types of personnel changes/upgrades should be made after the season, but I would consider this offseason a huge success if they Bruins could simply start next year with virtually the same team as this year. IMO, that's their challenge. I'm fine with these 6 guys on the back end, and I'd love for them to keep Montador around as a 7th defenseman, or give a guy like McQuaid a shot as a 5/6 pairing defenseman. Up front, I'd love to bring back their lineup exactly as is, including Recchi. I have a feeling that Axe might be gone, so give Lehtonen or Sobotka a chance to make the big club.

I know I'm in the vast minority here, but with their sheer depth of talent up front, I'd like to see them move a RW for some picks and prospects. Just save some cap space for next summer, and keep the prospect pool stocked. Not a sexy move for a contending team, but might be the smartest thing to do.

Old
05-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post

I couldn't disagree more- on all counts.

-Wideman has a serious lack of foot speed. Awesome dman, but everyone has weaknesses and Wideman's is that he's just not very fast. And neither is Chara, Ward, Stuart or Hnidy.

-Without Hunwick and Ference, the B's didn't have the mobility to handle Carolina's forecheckers. It was their achilles heel. It's no coincidence that all 4 teams still playing have much more mobility than the B's defense. Not necessarily better Dmen, but more good skaters.

And if you don't believe me, KPD said on 7 Sports Xtra that the two areas the team wanted to improve this summer were size up front and more speed on the back end.