HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tavares is on Long Island today

Old
05-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Darth Milbury

vCash: 500
Tavares is on Long Island today

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...ssau-coliseum/

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:18 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

Cmon Wang, scare him off

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:31 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Fact: His return ticket says Toronto on it.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Darth Milbury

You are a worthy opponent, Dubey. But, given sufficient time and alcohol, I shall defeat you.

Old
05-15-2009, 05:43 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
You are a worthy opponent, Dubey. But, given sufficient time and alcohol, I shall defeat you.
haha

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Is Burke taking him out to the Hamptons?

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:46 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

"And then he asked where the NHL arena was"

I wonder if any of this Hedman/Isles talk is getting to Tavares, if he cares at all about it.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Okposofan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Is Burke taking him out to the Hamptons?
no, rick dipietro is

Okposofan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Tavares' Interview with NYI:

NYI: So, who did you look up to growing up?
JT: That's easy, first, all the great Islanders...like Kvasha and Yashin.

NYI: What are your goals?
JT: You only live once and I'm blessed to play hockey for a living, so I just want to make as much money as possible.

NYI: How do you like New York and the Uniondale?
JT: I think John Rocker summed it up best.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:10 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
While I expected the top prospects to visit LI,I'm curious about which middle of the pack players the isles may invite to visit.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:13 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
The meeting with Tavares is just the first of several with highly-ranked prospects available in the June draft. Point Blank has already reported that prized Swedish defenseman Victor Hedman is scheduled to come to New York the first week in June. The Islanders have also set a date with Brampton center Matt Duchene.
Hardly news worthy since all the top prospects will be there at one point for a meeting.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Hardly news worthy since all the top prospects will be there at one point for a meeting.

There’s the school of thought the Islanders are merely doing their homework on Tavares just as they will with Hedman, Duchene and the rest.

Then there’s another theory. John Tavares is the potential offensive star in this draft. Before some cage-rattlers started throwing around the names of Victor Hedman and even Matt Duchene as No. 1s after the Islanders won the lottery, Tavares had been the projected top pick for years. He’s No. 1 according to NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau and the International Scouting Service. He’s the People’s Choice - by a 75% vote, conservatively - in Islanders Country. And then understand Tavares has played his last game before the draft, as have Hedman and Duchene. There are no more games to scout.

So the question to ponder is this: would the Islanders spend a day hosting Tavares on the first grand tour - and keep it a state secret - if he is not truly No. 1 in their eyes?

Old
05-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
He’s the People’s Choice - by a 75% vote, conservatively - in Islanders Country.
This line by Botta is a bit irresponsible, IMO, as it helps perpetrate the myth that NYI is going to base it's decision in any way whatsoever on what "Islander Fan" thinks. He's writing like a self-important ex-PR guy...and not a business person.

No doubt, some fools will be gullible (and self-important) enough to buy such crap.

I see the patronizing NYI poll asking fans who they should pick as a thinly-veiled "new media" PR tactic. They would not pose the pop-U-larity question if they did not already know the "Carrie Underwood" answer...and were prepared to choose said American (Uniondale) Idol, JT, the "Teenage Savior of the franchise"...and future Brad Boyes.

Last edited by Trottier: 05-15-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
This line by Botta is a bit irresponsible, IMO, as it helps perpetrate the myth that NYI is going to base it's decision in any way whatsoever on what "Islander Fan" thinks. He's writing like a self-important ex-PR guy...and not a business person.

No doubt, some fools will be gullible (and self-important) enough to buy such crap.

I see the patronizing NYI poll asking fans who they should pick as a thinly-veiled "new media" PR tactic. They would not pose the pop-U-larity question if they did not already know the "Carrie Underwood" answer...and were prepared to choose said American (Uniondale) Idol, JT, the "Teenage Savior of the franchise"...and future Brad Boyes.
for shame Trotts.

when Hedman visits the Isle will you say the future Brad Stuart or Duchene the future Jason Arnott.....how can we say with any certainty what anyone's potential is ?

I know youre mocking the whole overblown nature of the pre draft hype, but Im sure you dont wish to minimalize the prospects of any individual

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:35 PM
eldiablo17

Quote:
There’s the school of thought the Islanders are merely doing their homework on Tavares just as they will with Hedman, Duchene and the rest.

Then there’s another theory. John Tavares is the potential offensive star in this draft. Before some cage-rattlers started throwing around the names of Victor Hedman and even Matt Duchene as No. 1s after the Islanders won the lottery, Tavares had been the projected top pick for years. He’s No. 1 according to NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau and the International Scouting Service. He’s the People’s Choice - by a 75% vote, conservatively - in Islanders Country. And then understand Tavares has played his last game before the draft, as have Hedman and Duchene. There are no more games to scout.

So the question to ponder is this: would the Islanders spend a day hosting Tavares on the first grand tour - and keep it a state secret - if he is not truly No. 1 in their eyes?
Potentially yes. But then again it looks like Duchene and Hedman will get the same treatment, and it is obviously easier to get Tavares to Long Island than Hedman.

I do agree with that point though, I think the Isles have Tavares at #1, but the question is just how good do they think he is. If they don't think he is head and shoulders above Hedman, or even Duchene, then they may want to maximize their assets and trade down. Who knows whats going through Wang's head though.

eldiablo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:36 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the Isles' home opener for the purpose of seeing JT.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:46 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
for shame Trotts.

when Hedman visits the Isle will you say the future Brad Stuart or Duchene the future Jason Arnott.....how can we say with any certainty what anyone's potential is ?
I know youre mocking the whole overblown nature of the pre draft hype, but Im sure you dont wish to minimalize the prospects of any individual
Good point.

I don't for a minute believe the Isles would draft Tavares just to sell tixs.They didn't draft the fans choice and potential tix draw Nik Filatov last yr.

From their comments,they think Tavares is very talented.The boost to their tix sales would be a plus,not the main factor in drafting Tavares.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:

This Botta guy is completely out to lunch here. People have been talking about Hedman as a potential number 1 for years on sites like this and he has spent months in the top position on the lists of various publications and scouting agencies. The idea that Hedman as the top pick is some Toronto-invented reaction to the Islanders winning the lottery is just total crap.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
for shame Trotts.

"For shame" for providing my opinion as to the type of player Tavares will be in the NHL? I have read the infinite assessments of the player. I have watched his game, admittedly, in very limited doses, but have listened and spoken with those who have observed him regularly. And, unlike the True Believers on Long Island, I deem "speed" to often (not always) be a differencemaker between very good and great skilled players in the NHL. Hence my opinion.

"Certainty"? Says who? Not me. Far from it. Educated guess.

It speaks to the absurd expectations of JT's NYI advocates that one would consider the projection of him to become a regular 30 goal, albeit one-dimensional, player, the likes of Brad Boyes, an insult.

Nope, the "franchise savior" is not being set-up for unrealistic expectations.

Look IG, I hope I'm wrong, and will happily admit if I am. But why does my opinion insult or surprise you? There has had to be some reason, some basis, behind my reluctance to jump on the "JT is our Savior" hysteria among some NYI faithful, no?

Last edited by Trottier: 05-15-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
"For shame" for providing my opinion as to the type of player Tavares will be in the NHL? I have read the infinite assessments of the player. I have watched his game, admittedly, in very limited doses, but have listened and spoken with those who have observed him regularly. And, unlike the True Believers on Long Island, I deem "speed" to often (not always) be a differencemaker between very good and great skilled players in the NHL. Hence my opinion.

"Certainty"? Says who? Not me. Far from it. Educated guess.

It speaks to the absurd expectations of JT's NYI advocates that one would consider the projection of him to become a regular 30 goal, albeit one-dimensional, player, the likes of Brad Boyes, an insult.

Nope, the "franchise savior" is not being set-up for unrealistic expectations.

Look IG, I hope I'm wrong, and will happily admit if I am. But why does my opinion insult or surprise you? There has had to be some reason, some basis, behind my reluctance to jump on the "JT is our Savior" hysteria among some NYI faithful, no?
If it means anything Trotts, having seen JT pretty regularly over the past few years, I can say with conviction that I believe Tavares already finds holes in coverage and shoots the puck more accurately than 95% of the NHL. It's an exceedingly rare and valuable skillset that he possesses, and well beyond Boyes at the same age...JT scored as many goals as a 15 year old as Boyes did in his post-draft year.

I'd bet my house that Tavares will become a prolific big league goal scorer.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 12:09 PM
JT 91 NYI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Fact: His return ticket says Toronto on it.
You think he's gonna fall all the way to the 7th Pick?

JT 91 NYI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 12:13 PM
JT 91 NYI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Tavares' Interview with NYI:

NYI: So, who did you look up to growing up?
JT: That's easy, first, all the great Islanders...like Kvasha and Yashin.

NYI: What are your goals?
JT: You only live once and I'm blessed to play hockey for a living, so I just want to make as much money as possible.

NYI: How do you like New York and the Uniondale?
JT: I think John Rocker summed it up best.
That might be the least creative post ever on this site. You tried to be funny but its just not.

JT 91 NYI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
This Botta guy is completely out to lunch here. People have been talking about Hedman as a potential number 1 for years on sites like this and he has spent months in the top position on the lists of various publications and scouting agencies. The idea that Hedman as the top pick is some Toronto-invented reaction to the Islanders winning the lottery is just total crap.
I've interacted with Botta in a couple of online chats over the years. My impression of him: 1) A truly nice guy who sincerely cares about fans, 2) A passionate hockey follower, 3) Smart and informed and still maintains inside connections on the Island, 4) The consumate PR man.

Point 4 means spin, spin, spin. PR guys are not trained for balance, they are trained to convince you of a certain point of view. That is why you have to take what Botta has to say with a grain of salt, IMO.