HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to paint my One95?

Old
05-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Huggy Bear*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Huggy Bear*
I have the answer:

Find out the nearest team that is having an equipment sale and get 4 s17s, or one95s, or dolos or vapor xxxxs in new condition for $200.

Or you could find someone who can go to one and have them ship it to you.

Huggy Bear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Saved

What's the point in painting a stick? If it actually had a purpose, I would try it.

Saved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Dr Acula

I think some pros paint the bottom portion of their sticks so it's easier to see in their peripheral vision. A lot of these OPS have flashy graphics that are distracting.

Dr Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Just make sure you do a better job than Michael Ryder who obviously just sprays black spray paint on everything but the logo on the shaft.

Click the link if the image red Xes.

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/B...NemA8japzl.jpg

I can see why ryder does that though, maybe so that he knows where his hand should be on the stick for sticl handling? i dont really see any other reason to do that... you would think an NHL player would know where to crab a stick...

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:06 AM
hsing

Quote:
I can see why ryder does that though, maybe so that he knows where his hand should be on the stick for sticl handling? i dont really see any other reason to do that... you would think an NHL player would know where to crab a stick...

I suppose it's a request from the companies to at least have their name on the stick the players use, to prevent every player to just paint black their whole stick.

hsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAstles91 View Post
i dont think that is right, i agree with the guy who sai its easier to see in their peripherals

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
i dont think that is right, i agree with the guy who sai its easier to see in their peripherals
shouldnt you know where your stick is anyway? i know the concept of what i said seems silly but the stick would feel different based on how you painted it and he could just like having that opening there. but it also could could be for the companys name to still be there... either way its not a big issue

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Dr Acula

He probably didn't paint that area because that's where his lower hand goes and he didn't want his palm covered in paint.

Dr Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 12:56 PM
190Octane

I can understand painting your blade black and/or using black tape but I'm not quite sure I understand painting the whole stick.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmy View Post
He probably didn't paint that area because that's where his lower hand goes and he didn't want his palm covered in paint.
Maybe he has an endorsement deal with Easton? I don't think so though because I have seen pictures of him from this year with unpainted sticks, painted sticks, different brands etc. I found one pic of him with a Warrior stick while he was wearing his face shield which he started with this season and another with an unpainted Easton stick with the face shield.

I don't know, he may just be one of those guys who doesn't care what he uses as long as the blade is good.

I do know that a manufacturer pays like 50,000 to the league to allow players to use their equipment. I found this out because Farrell sports came out with a stick and didn't pay so one thing they did was to make the whole stick black so you have a hard time to see the company logo.

Sounds crazy enough to be true but maybe it isn't. I claim to be NO expert in the matter.

I do remember Cam Neely painting over the logos on his gloves because he endorsed CCM. You see this often in music where you have a guitar player being endorsed by a guitar company so he has to tape over the logo of a favorite guitar he has had for years in order to use it live because photos of him getting out using the nonendorsed guitar would void his endorsement deal.

I am sure there are some crazy rules in play we never hear about with regards to equipment companies and the NHL.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
I use an older Easton Synergy ST, Gaborik curve and it was painted burnt orange. It was hideous. Throw on primer and flat black and now it looks a lot better to me and that's all that matters. And no it doesn't turn your gloves black.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I use an older Easton Synergy ST, Gaborik curve and it was painted burnt orange. It was hideous. Throw on primer and flat black and now it looks a lot better to me and that's all that matters. And no it doesn't turn your gloves black.
Yep primer then paint is the right way to paint anything that gets painted.

*cringes at burnt orange*

Old
05-06-2009, 10:30 PM
stick9

That pretty much sums things up for me, everything other then the OP's question and answers to said question.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

As a goalie, when playing against teams that I didn't know, I would always remember players by their sticks.

It was alot easier than to look for their number or something else. It was even better when the teams best player had some super flashy stick. All I had to do was look for that and keep an eye on it. If the whole team painted all their sticks black than I would be at a disadvantage. But if the one guy is just painting his stick all black than it's easy for me to pick him out.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 02:16 AM
the_speedster

I think you should go with pink

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Pioneer13

Or if you just want to eliminate a portion of the logo, just use sandpaper to take the paint off. And NO, this will not affect the integrity of the stick. You are just sanding off the paint that they applied at the factory in China.

Pioneer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Huggy Bear*

Send a message via AIM to Huggy Bear*
I was thinking, another reasonable excuse to paint your stick is if you have a two piece that doesn't match and don't want to see the contrast in your peripherals or don't like the mismatching color scheme.

Huggy Bear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggy Bear View Post
I was thinking, another reasonable excuse to paint your stick is if you have a two piece that doesn't match and don't want to see the contrast in your peripherals or don't like the mismatching color scheme.
I've done that for years as I like a black blade, I used to paint wood blades black and now if a composite blade doesn't match my shaft color of black I paint it.

Old
05-17-2009, 03:49 PM
jim lahey

The reason people spay paint there sticks black is because they find it easier to look down at a black puck with a black shaft and blade the with a shiny stick and the glare from the building.

jim lahey is offline   Reply With Quote