HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Looking for cheap intermediate shaft that takes non-tapered blades

Old
05-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
Looking for cheap intermediate shaft that takes non-tapered blades

Any ideas? Seems like most of the intermediates I find are made to fit tapered blades only, and those are difficult to find and expensive. This is for roller, so quality isn't as important as price. On ice I use an intermediate 67 flex, and I'm looking to match that as closely as possible.

Right now I'm using a senior stick cut down to my ideal length, and it's way too stiff.

Thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT: Follow-up question: Do intermediate shafts take senior blades? I assume they do, since no one makes intermediate blades.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 03:21 PM
WickedWrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Any ideas? Seems like most of the intermediates I find are made to fit tapered blades only, and those are difficult to find and expensive. This is for roller, so quality isn't as important as price. On ice I use an intermediate 67 flex, and I'm looking to match that as closely as possible.

Right now I'm using a senior stick cut down to my ideal length, and it's way too stiff.

Thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT: Follow-up question: Do intermediate shafts take senior blades? I assume they do, since no one makes intermediate blades.
Yes, intermediate shafts take senior blades. I don't want to hijack your thread but what is a tapered blade exactly? How are they different than standard blades.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
Yes, intermediate shafts take senior blades. I don't want to hijack your thread but what is a tapered blade exactly? How are they different than standard blades.
a tapered setup is a blade and shaft combo that thins toward where the blade and shaft meet. the tenon(the part you stick into the hosel(the hollow part of the shaft that you insert the blade into)) is shorter.

if you were to put a standard blade and tapered blade side by side, the part of the blade that connects to the shaft would be shorter

the point is that you have a lower kick point on the stick thus you can get your shots off quicker with more velocity

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 03:28 PM
DevilsFan38

I've been looking for an intermediate shaft and I'm having a hell of a time finding one online. I've been looking for something more mid-level, since I don't want to go super cheap but I don't have the money for something really nice, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of selection right now. I keep finding places with the S15 and Dolomite, but those are out my price range and it sounds like yours too. If you find something good, let me know.

As for standard vs. tapered, obviously standard blades only fit standard shafts and the same with regard to tapered. Supposedly tapered blades and shafts better mimick the feel of an OPS, but I don't actually know the difference between the two aside from that. Oh, and tapered blades seem to be more expensive in general.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
I've been looking for an intermediate shaft and I'm having a hell of a time finding one online. I've been looking for something more mid-level, since I don't want to go super cheap but I don't have the money for something really nice, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of selection right now. I keep finding places with the S15 and Dolomite, but those are out my price range and it sounds like yours too. If you find something good, let me know.
Yeah, it's frustrating. Hockeymonkey lists the NB One95 Int shaft for just $68, but it's sold out. They also list the NB Vapor XVI shaft for $50, but that's sold out too.

Old
05-17-2009, 03:34 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Yeah, it's frustrating. Hockeymonkey lists the NB One95 Int shaft for just $68, but it's sold out. They also list the NB Vapor XVI shaft for $50, but that's sold out too.
Yep, I keep checking back hoping they'll get more in, but it hasn't happened yet.

Old
05-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Devil Dancer

I found a One95 shaft for $75 before shipping, but I'm still not sure if it takes non-tapered blades or not.

Linky.

EDIT: RBK 4K for $55, but that's a big drop-off in quality from the One95.

Old
05-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
I found a One95 shaft for $75 before shipping, but I'm still not sure if it takes non-tapered blades or not.

Linky.

EDIT: RBK 4K for $55, but that's a big drop-off in quality from the One95.
the one95 shaft is a standard

Old
05-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Devil Dancer

Duh, good catch. I went ahead and ordered it. Total came to almost $90, but I'm happy with that for such a high-end shaft. Hell, the One95 stick I'm planning to buy soon starts at $169.99 before shipping.

Old
05-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

One95 and Easton S15 (formerly Z-Bubble) for intermediate, although the 75 flex Easton is way stiffer than the One95 65 flex.

Bauer Vapor XXXX 67 flex, Easton SE16 70 flex (senior dimensions but very whippy), and Warrior Dolomite 70 flex are quality tapered intermediate shafts.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 07:02 PM
DevilsFan38

I know you already found one, but hockeyzonemn.com also has some. While they're not listed on their website they also have the XVI (which I just ordered) and one95.

Great customer service too, I had initially ordered a Synergy ST (which was listed with the intermediate shafts) along with a senior blade, and they emailed me and called me to say that the shaft was listed with the intermediate shafts because it was a 60 flex, but it was junior sized and took junior blades, and asked me if I still wanted it or wanted something else. The guy actually took the time to go check out what other intermediate shafts they had in stock, then gave me a call back and spent 5-10 minutes discussing which would be best considering level of play, money, etc. Damn, that was rather long-winded, but it's rare to find great customer service nowadays so I thought I'd give them a good recommendation.

Old
05-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I know you already found one, but hockeyzonemn.com also has some. While they're not listed on their website they also have the XVI (which I just ordered) and one95.

Great customer service too, I had initially ordered a Synergy ST (which was listed with the intermediate shafts) along with a senior blade, and they emailed me and called me to say that the shaft was listed with the intermediate shafts because it was a 60 flex, but it was junior sized and took junior blades, and asked me if I still wanted it or wanted something else. The guy actually took the time to go check out what other intermediate shafts they had in stock, then gave me a call back and spent 5-10 minutes discussing which would be best considering level of play, money, etc. Damn, that was rather long-winded, but it's rare to find great customer service nowadays so I thought I'd give them a good recommendation.
That is certainly pretty decent of them to go through that with you.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:

I'm a big fan of the XVI, that's what I use on ice. IMO it has a great combination of performance and price. If I had found a XVI shaft for less than $50 I probably would have ordered that instead. Oh well, I can't wait to get my One95!

Old
05-21-2009, 12:10 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Duh, good catch. I went ahead and ordered it. Total came to almost $90, but I'm happy with that for such a high-end shaft. Hell, the One95 stick I'm planning to buy soon starts at $169.99 before shipping.
Hate to tell you this, but the One 95 shaft and blade is not the same thing as the OPS. Some setups are very close, but those are usually the tapered setups. The standard setups tend to share a name with another top end product, but really aren't the same.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Hate to tell you this, but the One 95 shaft and blade is not the same thing as the OPS. Some setups are very close, but those are usually the tapered setups. The standard setups tend to share a name with another top end product, but really aren't the same.
I don't need it to be exactly the same, I need it to be much lighter and whippier than the One50 I was using in the past. It arrived today, and it's ridiculously light and flexible, so I'm very happy. Can't wait to try it out on Monday.

Old
05-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I don't need it to be exactly the same, I need it to be much lighter and whippier than the One50 I was using in the past. It arrived today, and it's ridiculously light and flexible, so I'm very happy. Can't wait to try it out on Monday.
I agree, the performance of the 2 piece is amazing ... no shame in using them if they do the job for you.

I use 2 cheaper One55 shafts and love them actually and am going to buy 2 or 3 One95 shafts when they come in around here.

Old
05-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I agree, the performance of the 2 piece is amazing ... no shame in using them if they do the job for you.

I use 2 cheaper One55 shafts and love them actually and am going to buy 2 or 3 One95 shafts when they come in around here.
the one95 two piece is a great stick but its just not the same as the one95 ops. unlike alot of two piece counterparts, the one piece one95 is tapered, the two piece isnt

Old
05-21-2009, 06:01 PM
jessebelanger

I mistakenly bought a TPS response shaft (I think it was called.. the r2, or something) that was tapered 4 or 5 years ago. Couldn't find any decent blades, so I just flipped it around - standard blade fit in fine in the other end, taped up the tapered end and I was good to go!

Can't remember whether or not it impacted the flex of the stick, but I remember sniping with it for awhile, so it worked!

jessebelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
the one95 two piece is a great stick but its just not the same as the one95 ops. unlike alot of two piece counterparts, the one piece one95 is tapered, the two piece isnt
Yes I know .... I don't want a tapered shaft. Believe it or not some people prefer a non-tapered. I like being able to interchange blades that are commonly sold and won't be limited to whatever the store has because they are tapered.

When non-tapered are the secondary blade available in stores and the tapered are most common WHERE I CAN ALWAYS GET THE CURVE AND LIE I WANT then I will switch.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 05-21-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old
05-21-2009, 06:34 PM
shotty

Quote:
no one makes intermediate blades.
you have been misinformed, my friend.

proof?

i have an intermediate "modano" synthesis blade in my closet anxiously awaiting the seemingly impossible day that my girlfriend breaks her 65f ST.

shotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
This is for roller hockey, so two piece is mandatory. I much prefer a one piece for ice, but that's not the purpose of this thread.

Quote:
Yes I know .... I don't want a tapered shaft. Believe it or not some people prefer a non-tapered. I like being able to interchange blades that are commonly sold and won't be limited to whatever the store has because they are tapered.

When non-tapered are the secondary blade available in stores and the tapered are most common WHERE I CAN ALWAYS GET THE CURVE AND LIE I WANT then I will switch.
Exactly. I have a Mission tapered shaft, and I never use it because blades are so hard to find and expensive. **** that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotty View Post
you have been misinformed, my friend.

proof?

i have an intermediate "modano" synthesis blade in my closet anxiously awaiting the seemingly impossible day that my girlfriend breaks her 65f ST.
Interesting, I'll have to take your word for it. I've never heard of such a thing. What kind of shaft does it fit into?

Old
05-22-2009, 06:45 PM
shotty

Quote:
This is for roller hockey, so two piece is mandatory. I much prefer a one piece for ice, but that's not the purpose of this thread.

Exactly. I have a Mission tapered shaft, and I never use it because blades are so hard to find and expensive. **** that.

Interesting, I'll have to take your word for it. I've never heard of such a thing. What kind of shaft does it fit into?
intermediate blade fits into intermediate shaft. the easton intermediate sticks are thinner in diameter (which, i assume, is meant to provide lower flex ratings and fit smaller hands) here's some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 84.jpg‎ (80.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 85.jpg‎ (81.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 86.jpg‎ (84.0 KB, 9 views)

shotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Devil Dancer

Follow-up: My One95 shaft came in a couple of weeks ago, but my roller game was rained out until Monday. I finally got to use it this week and DAMN, that thing is awesome. My shot velocity is vastly improved thanks to the whip action, and it's light as a feather, making my hands significantly faster as well.

It's not the cheap stick I was looking for, but now I'm very glad I invested the $90. I'll be using this as my primary roller stick for as long as it lasts.

A+
5 Stars
Buy one

EDIT: As a point of reference, my composite One95 that I use on ice is significantly lighter than my Vapor XVI and my Vapor Apollo. The One95 shaft is similarly light, though obviously the blade you use will determine the final weight.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:34 PM
doobie604

hey devil dancer, which blade did go with on the one95? how's the puck feel and balance?

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Devil Dancer

I play roller on a crap surface, so I use whatever is cheapest. Right now I think I have a Sherwood wood blade, and it's nothing special.