HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sharpening/radius question

Old
05-18-2009, 10:44 AM
joeydzzle

vCash: 500
Sharpening/radius question

sorry another noobie question

so i think i figured out why i'm having such a hard time skating with my new xxiis. I compared the radius between my old rec skates and my new xxiis and i noticed that the radius are COMPLETELY different. My old skates pretty much were dull as possible and flat as a board. My new xxiis are pretty sharp and a lot more curved than my old ones.

How should i ask my local hockey shop to adjust my xxiis? What radius is good for newbies to learn how to stop/skate? I'm thinking to go as flat as possible??

joeydzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

if you are just starting out, and still not a great skater, just get a 1/2 inch cut

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Gino 14

If your local shop is worth anything, they should be able to give you an idea of the radius based on your weight and skating ability. If you don't really think that's a choice you want them making for you, get a 1/2" and find another skate shop. The shop that does mine has my complete confidence and I trust his judgement, he's never let me down.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:38 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
It seems like the shops and skate manufacturers should do a better job of explaining the differences in sharpenings you can get. Maybe some kind of chart that explains all the differences, positives and negatives and maybe what you might want to try based on height, weight and skill level. I have no idea if the 7/16 I get my skates at is the right choice for me. I used to get 1/2 inch but I like 7/16 better.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:55 AM
joeydzzle

what kind of rocker radius (profiling) should i get if i'm having a tough time with balance and stopping?

Old
05-18-2009, 12:01 PM
stick9

Give the current radius a few skates. You my just be getting used to the pitch of the boot. You may find you like the radius (what you call rocker).

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:23 PM
94now

Bring your old skates to shop and ask then to copy the grove. They will know. Most shops sharp to 3/8. Most skaters need 1/2 or 5/8. Why do they do that? Simply to avoid the complaints. No one complains that skates are too sharp. 5/8 skate doesn't "bite" as mush as 3/8 even sharpen fresh.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydzzle View Post
what kind of rocker radius (profiling) should i get if i'm having a tough time with balance and stopping?
you should not worry about that unti you are a better skater, imo

Old
05-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Hockeyfan68

This is an excerpt from a website I found that answers these things. http://www.skateny.com/sharpening/

See the math involved. As an example, let's look at the 1/4 inch hollow. This is used for a good skater weighing 55 pounds. The depth of the groove down the middle of the blade (the hollow) will be 0.0073 inches. In plain English, one would call this about seven thousandths of an inch. Not very deep, but that's all that is needed.

Weight (Lbs) Hollow (inches) Depth (inches)

55 1/4 0.0073
85 3/8 0.0048
125 1/2 0.0036
150 5/8 0.0029
165 3/4 0.0024
185 7/8 0.0021
Goalies should add 3/8" to the hollow listed above.

Radius and rocker - The bottom of a hockey skate blade, as seen from the side, is curved at the front and back, and the center is mostly flat:

\______/

Hockey skaters have found it desirable to put a radius on the bottom of the blade to improve maneuverability. The radius is specified in feet and it is usually selected based on the skater's height. The process of putting a radius on a skate blade is called profiling. With profiled blades only part of the blade touches the ice at any one time. The smaller the radius, the less blade touches the ice, and the easier it is to turn. However, with less blade touching the ice, you will lose speed and stability. That is why speedskates are long and flat, with much blade on the ice. Imagine your hockey blade is part of the circumference of a very large circle. The radius of this large circle is the number quoted to describe the profile of the blade. Below is a chart of suggested profiles vs. a player's height.

Height Radius
4' 3" 6'
4' 7" 7'
4' 11" 8'
5' 3" 9'
5' 7" 10'
5' 11" 11'
6' 3" 12'
6' 7" 13'

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:10 PM
joeydzzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
you should not worry about that unti you are a better skater, imo
Yeah... but i was thinking that if i get my skates profiled so that its flatter with less of a curve making them more stable. This should make me more comfortable stopping, skating, pivoting.

It's wierd because i can hockey stop so-so with my equipment off (i still have to think about it, its not second nature like with my other skates) but when i put it on, i feel like my skates are just gunna slip out from under me. I have off thursday so i'm planning on putting my equipment on and just practicing skating at my local rink for hours. if i don't get it by then i'm going to get them profiled.

Old
05-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydzzle View Post
Yeah... but i was thinking that if i get my skates profiled so that its flatter with less of a curve making them more stable. This should make me more comfortable stopping, skating, pivoting.

It's wierd because i can hockey stop so-so with my equipment off (i still have to think about it, its not second nature like with my other skates) but when i put it on, i feel like my skates are just gunna slip out from under me. I have off thursday so i'm planning on putting my equipment on and just practicing skating at my local rink for hours. if i don't get it by then i'm going to get them profiled.
you dont want to get comfortable doing it a way that may not be the right way. it will help you in the long haul to get used to doing it with the way your skates are profiled now. you have to dig in deeper

Old
05-19-2009, 02:52 AM
FelixPotvin

Gunnar is dead right.

No one learns to skate on custom rockered skates with a carefully calculated radius.

Get your skates cut at 1/2 like many have said (not to sharp but more than sharp enough), forget about the rocker, and work on your technique.

It's natural for things to seem uncomfortable at first and there isn't anything wrong with that. Don't look to your equipment to correct the problems with your technique. Learn the correct technique and you'll be able to carve up the ice regardless of what pair of skates, what rocker, or what radius.

Rockering is something you worry about to tweak your skating and get that extra bit out of your performance. Not something you use to cover up for poor technique.

Keep at it. Take power skating. Practice practice practice. You'll be comfortable in no time.

FelixPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 07:39 AM
stick9

I'm gonna agree with Gunner and Potvin. The standard Bauer factory radius should be fine. If continue to have problems with balance (feels like you are about to fall forward or backward), you can have the pitch of the blade adjusted.

As others have said, profiling doesn't help or correct form or technique.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I'm gonna agree with Gunner and Potvin. The standard Bauer factory radius should be fine. If continue to have problems with balance (feels like you are about to fall forward or backward), you can have the pitch of the blade adjusted.

As others have said, profiling doesn't help or correct form or technique.
True, that is true.

Like the standard info I copied and pasted above is a general guide and not set in concrete. I'm in the middle oif tweaking my blade hollow for the next 3 weeks or so to find what works best for me. It would help this guy if he found a knowledgable sharpening guy who is patient enough to try a few different things until the person finds his perfect setup.

Too many may have been like I WAS guilty of until recently and just let Joe Schmoe from Cocomo generically do his blades so he has the wrong radius and hollow for years on end.

I mean the skates are THE most important piece of equipment you use performance wise and should be treated that way and not messed up incorrectly by bad sharpening people.

I'm still learning about skates after playing for 35 years or so because I had poor sharpening people around here for years until the guy I see now. NOW we are getting things correct and proper for my style, weight and height.

Good luck to you in finding what works best for you too

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Stefan It Up

You may want someone you trust at a proshop to check out your skates. Sometimes, the factory radius and pitch is completely off. I've seen an out-of-the-box pair of skates have a different pitch and radius on each one.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote