HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Here is some more fuel for that fire:

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=267960
That's exactly my point

Old
05-16-2009, 03:54 PM
HarriSateri

I'm liking what I am seeing from Kulikov so far in Windsor vs Drummondville.

Old
05-18-2009, 12:44 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

After reading through THN's Draft Preview, I'm starting to wonder if Zach Budish could end up being this year's Blake Wheeler?

I'm also wondering if he is a guy that will be undervalued on draft day due to the knee injury, much like Jared Cowen.

Some places have Budish up to 6'4" and 225 lbs........

Old
05-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
After reading through THN's Draft Preview, I'm starting to wonder if Zach Budish could end up being this year's Blake Wheeler?

I'm also wondering if he is a guy that will be undervalued on draft day due to the knee injury, much like Jared Cowen.

Some places have Budish up to 6'4" and 225 lbs........
Budish is a beast. His overall ability and attitude outweighs the knee IMO, and the combine should confirm that. I'm not sure he goes in Wheeler territory, but I'm with you in that he'll probably get taken earlier than where many are currently penciling him. I'd like to have this discussion without hearing the name Rasmussen...

I put Budish in the pool early at #13 along with Krieder, Kassian, and LeBlanc....and maybe Josefsson since history has illustrated the Bo Berglund effect in action.

I've come around quite a bit on Leblanc.

Old
05-18-2009, 01:55 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
Budish is a beast. His overall ability and attitude outweighs the knee IMO, and the combine should confirm that. I'm not sure he goes in Wheeler territory, but I'm with you in that he'll probably get taken earlier than where many are currently penciling him. I'd like to have this discussion without hearing the name Rasmussen...

I put Budish in the pool early at #13 along with Krieder, Kassian, and LeBlanc....and maybe Josefsson since history has illustrated the Bo Berglund effect in action.

I've come around quite a bit on Leblanc.
Kreider's write up in THN made me raise an eyebrow when they talked about how good his skating is. I like the BC commitment as well.

Another guy that might be interesting is Richard Panik. Especially if he does go to Windsor and Boughner gets his hands on him.

Old
05-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Old Navy Goat

If we're talking prospects in that range, what about Glennie? His elbow problems aside, he's interesting due to his skill and skaing.

Old
05-18-2009, 02:13 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
If we're talking prospects in that range, what about Glennie? His elbow problems aside, he's interesting due to his skill and skaing.
I wouldn't mind an offensive minded center ala Glennie or Holland @ 13.

I could also be talked into a goal scoring winger with NHL DNA ala Ashton and Ferraro.

Old
05-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Vito_81

I have a feeling Darcy may trade down a spot or two to gain another pick early in the draft seeing as Buffalo has only 2 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Unless there's a guy he really wants, I think this is the best way to go. There's so much skill in the first round that a guy drafted 13th isn't going to be all that more skilled than a guy at 15th or 16th.

Old
05-18-2009, 04:33 PM
HarriSateri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
I have a feeling Darcy may trade down a spot or two to gain another pick early in the draft seeing as Buffalo has only 2 picks in the first 3 rounds.

Unless there's a guy he really wants, I think this is the best way to go. There's so much skill in the first round that a guy drafted 13th isn't going to be all that more skilled than a guy at 15th or 16th.
Way I see it is after the top 9 or so, the talent level plateaus off until the mid 20s, so that might be a good idea. However I would really love to move up and get a shot at Kulikov or Cowen.

Old
05-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarriSateri View Post
I would really love to move up and get a shot at Kulikov or Cowen.
A move up one spot last season took just a 3rd rounder. But last year Buffalo had two 1sts, one 2nd and two 3rds to work with if I remember right. So losing a 3rd to get the guy they wanted wasn't much to give up for Darcy at all, in fact it was a good move.

This season is a lot different. Darcy doesn't have the ability to lose a pick to move up a spot. Not to mention he would probably have to move up at least 2-3 spots to have a crack at the guys you mentioned. Adding our 3rd along with our 1st isn't going to be enough to move up 3 spots and unless a prospect/player is also added I doubt Buffalo could swing something like that.

It's too anti-Darcy to lose 1 pick and a player for a few spots in a draft. It's much more Darcyish to trade down and gain more assets and in this case it's the right move IMO.

Old
05-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Way I see it is after the top 9 or so, the talent level plateaus off until the mid 20s, so that might be a good idea. However I would really love to move up and get a shot at Kulikov or Cowen.
the forward pipeline is almost barren. while our D depth is plentiful. I can't see us using a 1st on a defensemen this year... and i especially cant see us trading our only other decent pick (a 3rd rounder) for a move up for a Dman.

Old
05-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Regier has no issue dealing picks for subsiquent drafts in order to move around. He's also used other teams' willingness to move up in the middle rounds to get additional picks. Starting with more would help, but he has made plenty of pick swaps in his day.

Old
05-18-2009, 08:03 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Myers gives our future defense an idenity, now all we need to do is find the offensive project. Holland,Kreider,Kadri, Kassian,Ashton,Glennie,Josefson,Ferraro .

On the small side, Ellis and Schroeder would give us an upgrade from the talent that we hope to see. imagine a line with ennis and Schroeder or if we drafted ellis, is he phil housley number two?

butler myers
weber ellis

Landon Ferraro is a player that you know is going to be good. we should be in a good spot to find some kind of offensive dynamo.

Kassian would give us a solid option behind stafford and infront of kaleta. though our major need is a center with some body sense

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 05-18-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old
05-18-2009, 08:19 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
However I would really love to move up and get a shot at Kulikov or Cowen.
that would be a very satisfying move for sure. Cowen would really give us a solid young defensive core. I am just wondering about how good our offensive defensemen are and if ellis is clearly better? I thought that ellis,suban (sp) and myers were the main talent on canada's defense. For some reason ellis got a lot of attention and as we know with this league, notoriety brings revenue which leads to wins.

Cowen would give us a fantastic top line. however this ellis guy might be a great second option (if he is still there).

we need to go out and find our mike richards or jeff carter.

Cowen- would give us another big body on defense.. two is better then 1
Kassian- a bit of attitude on offense
Ellis- i really like his game. how much do we like our offensive defensemen?
Kreider- he sounds like a worthy project.
Holland- he might have big upside.
Ferraro- a safe pick.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 05-18-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old
05-18-2009, 09:09 PM
HarriSateri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
the forward pipeline is almost barren. while our D depth is plentiful. I can't see us using a 1st on a defensemen this year... and i especially cant see us trading our only other decent pick (a 3rd rounder) for a move up for a Dman.
I just don't see anything special in any of the forwards beyond the top 7 picks except Schroeder, but he will likely go before us anyway and he's not the kind of forward we are looking for. I just think the defensemen in the top 15 or so are just much better talents. I wouldn't be against moving down in this draft to the early 20s to pick up a guy like Jordan Caron.

Old
05-18-2009, 10:32 PM
aceface33

I dunno. I was reading this thread about Kassian. People seem to be split 50-50 on him. Maybe we are overrating him because of our need for a bruiser. I think he'll be available at our pick but it seems his main issue is skating. I can't see Regier picking a guy who can't skate with #13.

Old
05-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I dunno. I was reading this thread about Kassian. People seem to be split 50-50 on him. Maybe we are overrating him because of our need for a bruiser. I think he'll be available at our pick but it seems his main issue is skating. I can't see Regier picking a guy who can't skate with #13.
I think Kassian is there at #13 (Stars/Sens *maybe* if he is an absolute ox at the combine), but the Sabres will decline and go for more offensive skill.

While still liking Kassian, I've started to focus more on Kreider and Leblanc.

Kreider is an immense talent that may take a few years. Academics are big for him, and unless he jams out over the summer, he'll have another year of high school before hitting BC. When the Sabres interview him next week, they will definitely be asking about his plans for next season as they would like him in the USHL if he's not entering Hockey East.

To date, I'm not at all concerned with the level of competition. With a kid as talented as he is, it's OK to be patient as long as you get your ass back in the top 60 and groom a CHLer. You can get tougher later.

Leblanc does it all. Fast, scores, plays D. He's another kid who values academics. He's going to shred once Harvard gets it together.

Both are centers, both are leaders.

The Sabres have taken a dman with their first pick the last three years. The three years before that, they took forwards with their first pick. They are going forward going err forward....

If Cowan or Despres somehow fall or some GM is super chubby for Ellis, sit and wait for the phone to ring. When it does, hope that it's a team 1-3 spots behind who has an itchy trigger finger. If Kreider and Leblanc (and Kassian) are there, play the 'i'll show you mine, you show me yours' game like last year, make the deal, and pick your poison.

Old
05-18-2009, 11:12 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
If Cowan or Despres somehow fall or some GM is super chubby for Ellis, sit and wait for the phone to ring. When it does, hope that it's a team 1-3 spots behind who has an itchy trigger finger. If Kreider and Leblanc (and Kassian) are there, play the 'i'll show you mine, you show me yours' game like last year, make the deal, and pick your poison.
I like the idea, but I just don't see Darcy as the kind of GM who makes that move. Not that he would be opposed to it, but I feel like he would ask too much in return. *shrug*

I'm 90% sure these thoughts are present because of my pessimism from the top to bottom review Assclown did.

Old
05-19-2009, 01:57 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...DraftMicrosite

NHL.com has Round II of their mock drafts with the picks being Ellis and Despres.

Old
05-19-2009, 02:17 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post

Thanks for the link it was an interesting read.

Old
05-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I think people's issues with Kassian's skating are overblown. He's not a knee-injury waiting to happen like what's his name -- CHLer, all bow-legged and knees out who I can picture but can't remember at the moment. Grrr... damn memory.

Leblanc going NCAA next year puts him right in Regier's developmental wheelhouse. For Kreider, going one year of HS or USHL then on to college makes me wonder if he'd hop out on a Blake Wheeler type exception -- going UFA to maximize his monetary return. It's a minor concern, but one none the less.

05-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...DraftMicrosite

NHL.com has Round II of their mock drafts with the picks being Ellis and Despres.
I will punch darcy in the face if we took Despres over Kadri... cuz you know Kadri would be like Berglund all over again, and I don't know if I could handle that....

Old
05-19-2009, 04:27 PM
HarriSateri

I would punch Darcy in the face if he drafted Ryan Ellis.

Old
05-19-2009, 05:44 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Landon Ferraro might be a good linemate for ennis. while i would love to see a physical forward, Ferraro has a few things going for him that make him a smart pick. (depending who is there).plus his dad was a sabre killer

great speed, vision, hands and heart. if ennis is briere could Ferraro be a lighter dumont?

Old
05-19-2009, 05:52 PM
N.Y. Orangeman
Coyotes Fan

vCash: 50
Put me in the Kreider/Holland camp, but if Kadri slips, I'd be all over him.

Closed Thread