HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Predators-Oilers

Old
05-17-2009, 01:55 PM
One Trick Pony*

vCash: 500
Predators-Oilers

To Nashville:
Patrick O'Sullivan

To Edmonton:
Dan Hamhuis

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Id rather see what Sully can do in a full year with the team, he and Gagner had some nice chemistry going at the end of the year.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Predsrule

EDM has a few D no need to give up scoring for something there already deep in ... value is there all the same

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Trick Pony View Post
To Nashville:
Patrick O'Sullivan

To Edmonton:
Dan Hamhuis
The oiler's would defintly do this actually. It would give them a more stay at home type which would allow them to move one of their offensive guys for a scoring forward with size.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 08:41 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
To Nashville:
Patrick O'Sullivan

To Edmonton:
Dan Hamhuis
An intriguing offer, but I think the Predators will hang on to Hamhuis.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2009, 08:42 PM
The Pucks

Solid offer in terms of values, as for team needs, thats another question.

The Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

the preds are gonna keep their young D and build offense through the draft, most likely

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:31 PM
One Trick Pony*

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Devils View Post
the preds are gonna keep their young D and build offense through the draft, most likely
But even then, there is no way Glennie/Josefson/Schroeder/Kadri will be able to have an immediate impact after their draft years like Kane/Gagner/Stamkos.

Looking at the preds depth for next season (signed contracts)

XXX-Arnott-Dumont
Erat-Legwand-XXX

So the Preds could draft Glennie, and place him as the 2nd line RW, but then who plays the left side on the top-line?

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:43 PM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Quote:
But even then, there is no way Glennie/Josefson/Schroeder/Kadri will be able to have an immediate impact after their draft years like Kane/Gagner/Stamkos.

Looking at the preds depth for next season (signed contracts)

XXX-Arnott-Dumont
Erat-Legwand-XXX

So the Preds could draft Glennie, and place him as the 2nd line RW, but then who plays the left side on the top-line?
Sullivan (if he re-signs)
Radulov (if he returns)
Ward (17 goals last season)
Jones
Wilson

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:19 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
The value is good (probably favors Edmonton a bit), but it doesn't really make sense for the Oilers to make such a deal. With Souray, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, and Visnovsky as their top 4, and all making significant salaries (once Grebes signs). Adding yet another one doesn't address any of the Oilers' needs.

Maybe if they turn around and trade one of Souray or Visnovsky for a forward, but not as a stand-alone deal.

The Oilers and Predators are in the same situation in terms of what they need, and what they can afford to give up. That doesn't usually equate to being good trade partners.

misfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
The value is good (probably favors Edmonton a bit), but it doesn't really make sense for the Oilers to make such a deal. With Souray, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, and Visnovsky as their top 4, and all making significant salaries (once Grebes signs). Adding yet another one doesn't address any of the Oilers' needs.

Maybe if they turn around and trade one of Souray or Visnovsky for a forward, but not as a stand-alone deal.

The Oilers and Predators are in the same situation in terms of what they need, and what they can afford to give up. That doesn't usually equate to being good trade partners.
What if this trade happens (maybe edmonton throws in a later round pick)

Then we trade Souray for Clarkson and a 1st as proposed by someone else.

IN OUT
Clarkson O'sullivan
Hamhuis Souray
1st 4th
5 mill in cap space.

Now I realize that we would probably have to take a salary dump from New Jersey but we would still free up around 3 mill in space.

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 05:24 PM
misfit

That would be better, but I don't really get the Clarkson part. Sure the Oilers would like to get grittier, but is trading Souray really the most efficient way to go about that? And all Clarkson does is replace Stortini at RW on the 4th line. Sure he might be an upgrade, but IMO, not that much of one. Especially when you can get guys like him fairly easily in free agency.

Even without Clarkson, O'Sullivan and Souray for Hamhuis and a 1st isn't a bad deal. They get younger and better on defense, save some $, and get a 1st. Losing O'Sullivan sucks, but with Nilsson, Cogliano, and Gagner, he's a little redundant.

Old
05-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
That would be better, but I don't really get the Clarkson part. Sure the Oilers would like to get grittier, but is trading Souray really the most efficient way to go about that? And all Clarkson does is replace Stortini at RW on the 4th line. Sure he might be an upgrade, but IMO, not that much of one. Especially when you can get guys like him fairly easily in free agency.

Even without Clarkson, O'Sullivan and Souray for Hamhuis and a 1st isn't a bad deal. They get younger and better on defense, save some $, and get a 1st. Losing O'Sullivan sucks, but with Nilsson, Cogliano, and Gagner, he's a little redundant.
I agree with everything that you said except for the Clarkson part. I guess that we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Clarkson put up 17 goals and 32 points this year. In comparison Cogliano put up 18 and 38.

The difference is that Cogliano was suposed to score whereas Clarkson is a fighter. IMO CLarkson would be a great 3rd line grinder/scorer for the Oilers who can fight and intimidate. He is a Stortini type player, that is true, but his skill is way higher. He is one of those players that will stick up for his team mates but you aren't scared to have him on the ice. Hell, he even played on New Jersey's second powerplay for a bit this season. A third line of Nilsson/O'sullivan Cogliano Clarkson is something that I would LOVE to have.

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Ringo13

The only way a trade like this happens is:
Trade 1: O'sullivan for Hamhuis.
Trade 2: Gilbert for Michalek or someone of that ilk.
Trade 3: Cogliano+Pisani (or Moreau) for Armstrong and Lehtonen.

P.S. Since I am an Oiler fan and I would do all of these trades in a heartbeat, they are likely horribly one sided in favor of Edmonton.

Ringo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 08:29 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regin 43 View Post
I agree with everything that you said except for the Clarkson part. I guess that we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Clarkson put up 17 goals and 32 points this year. In comparison Cogliano put up 18 and 38.

The difference is that Cogliano was suposed to score whereas Clarkson is a fighter. IMO CLarkson would be a great 3rd line grinder/scorer for the Oilers who can fight and intimidate. He is a Stortini type player, that is true, but his skill is way higher. He is one of those players that will stick up for his team mates but you aren't scared to have him on the ice. Hell, he even played on New Jersey's second powerplay for a bit this season. A third line of Nilsson/O'sullivan Cogliano Clarkson is something that I would LOVE to have.
For Clarkson to play on the 3rd line, Pisani would have to be bumped down to the 4th, and I just don't see that happening. So even if Clarkson is a bigger improvement over Stortini than I'm giving him credit for, he'll still be a 4th liner in Edmonton just as he was in New Jersey this past year.