HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Engels: Speculates new owner will be Roustan

Old
05-18-2009, 11:21 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseofcups View Post
Well, seeing as how last year seem to be the exception rather than the rule so far, I would say they where lucky??
Don't understand you logic. So last year was lucky and this year was poor leadership. Why was last yeaer an exception but not this year?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:27 AM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic View Post
Don't understand you logic. So last year was lucky and this year was poor leadership. Why was last yeaer an exception but not this year?
last year no injuries, and the boys stayed out of the bar more...

this year the kids could not handle the pressure, and got involved in too much bar hopping

need to clamp down on the free for all

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic View Post
Because if you look at the past six years, last year was the anomally. The results for all the other years including this one have been less that stellar hence lack of proper direction and leadership.

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Because if you look at the past six years, last year was the anomally. The results for all the other years including this one have been less that stellar hence lack of proper direction and leadership.
well, why did last years "anomally" happened then?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
My biggest criticism about Gainey is that 6 years ago the Habs had clear pretty clear holes: A top 4D, a centerman, size and too many skilled players. 6 years later the team has basically the same weaknesses it had.

What Gainey did was make the team younger, faster and more skilled. The talent level is much higher now, but the holes are the same. He did a good job and I'd keep him because I really believe in stability when something works well, but I don't kid myself in thinking he's the best. Every year he seems to do something stupid that makes no sense.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
well, why did last years "anomally" happened then?
Even a stopped watch is right twice a day.

Old
05-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
My biggest criticism about Gainey is that 6 years ago the Habs had clear pretty clear holes: A top 4D, a centerman, size and too many skilled players. 6 years later the team has basically the same weaknesses it had.

What Gainey did was make the team younger, faster and more skilled. The talent level is much higher now, but the holes are the same. He did a good job and I'd keep him because I really believe in stability when something works well, but I don't kid myself in thinking he's the best. Every year he seems to do something stupid that makes no sense.
I agree with everything but the bolded part.

Old
05-18-2009, 01:18 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Well there's the '04-'05 season and then the lockout, so how was he supposed to fix things there? It takes time to right the wrongs wouldn't you say? Or do you expect things to happen right away. Since the lockout there has been a steady progression until this year when things fell apart. Don't see why you would think things weren't getting better each year he's been here until this year. Granted he needs to do a better job and the mess from this year is on him but up until this year we were slowly getting there.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Pr3Va1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Anyone know this guy's net worth anyway?

Likely a lot more than the 350 mils he needs to buy this team.

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 05:48 PM
DaHabMan

Quote:
Tell you what. Assuming he survives his review, Let's see what Gainey pulls off this summer to address our glaring needs then we'll discuss it. Should be interesting.
what do you want him to pull off? He could sign some free agents but they certainly not gonna be stars. Are you gonna blame gainey for that? As far as trades go, who out there is available? Lecavalier? I rather not give the whole farm to get him...bad contract and bad luck in terms of health the last 2 years. He will try but im not sure hes gonna be able to pull off anythign because we're gonna have to overpay for everything. If i were in his place id sign our main free agents and fill the rest of the spots internally. Just dont get your hopes up because its possible nothing major will happen.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Lol.. there has been no progression over the years and last year was a fluke because all the other Eastern teams had problems.

I liked you better when you didn't post.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Lol.. there has been no progression over the years and last year was a fluke because all the other Eastern teams had problems.

I liked you better when you didn't post.
No one can deny there's been remarkable progress in 6 years in every single facet of the club. Problem is, this summer could go either way depending on who we sign and we could see the Habs back to square 1, or at least square 2-3. This summer'll show what Gainey's made of. If we make the playoffs next year, I'll be very happy.

Old
05-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
No one can deny there's been remarkable progress in 6 years in every single facet of the club. Problem is, this summer could go either way depending on who we sign and we could see the Habs back to square 1, or at least square 2-3. This summer'll show what Gainey's made of. If we make the playoffs next year, I'll be very happy.
Problem is all of this remarkable success has not translated into post season results and only one season of regular season results.

Old
05-18-2009, 09:39 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Problem is all of this remarkable success has not translated into post season results and only one season of regular season results.
They have been very good at marketing and selling luxury boxes, that's for sure.

The departure of the Expos as the ONLY OTHER major team sport has also gave them access to more vailable fans money and advertisers money.

Average 1st round draft picks + better picks in the other rounds don't help yet make this team significantly better. We have to wait few more years !

Coaches' changes every 2 years is dramatic. Lack of quality assistants like a real D-men coach did hurt too.

The team will be sold no doubt. Gillett is running out of liquidity.

IF Roustan buys it, Boivin remains the President, and Gainey keeps his job

IF Savard and his group buys it, Savard will become President and I am not so sure Gainey will be kept.

If Quebecor/Angelil-Dion/Bronfman buy it... I dunno what,s gonna happen with neither Boivin and Gainey.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
what do you want him to pull off? He could sign some free agents but they certainly not gonna be stars. Are you gonna blame gainey for that? As far as trades go, who out there is available? Lecavalier? I rather not give the whole farm to get him...bad contract and bad luck in terms of health the last 2 years. He will try but im not sure hes gonna be able to pull off anythign because we're gonna have to overpay for everything. If i were in his place id sign our main free agents and fill the rest of the spots internally. Just dont get your hopes up because its possible nothing major will happen.
Excuses lined up already.

Old
05-18-2009, 09:52 PM
habdynasty

the habs will win a cup in 2047, you heard it here first ......

habdynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
I didn't say success, I said progress.