HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

La - Dal

Old
05-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
The OP deserves some credit... quite possibly the first Neal proposal that hasn't been designed to fleece the Stars. It also addresses the upcoming LW logjam (Morrow/Ott/Neal/Benn) ...

I'd still be really nervous doing something like this though. JMFJ will probably reach most of his potential, but it was a little disconcerting watching how fast he was passed developmentally by Doughty. Don't know... tough one.
Johnson wasnt really passed, he was injured. The Dallas coaching staff gets the most out of defensemen, letting Johnson off the leash in Dallas' system would be sick. Neal would be a good fit anywhere and L.A. is no exception.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
Not to mention the fact that Dallas is in a great position to get a potentially elite defenseman with their #8, either by draft or by trade.
Or they could make the deal, and then draft Schroeder or any similarly skilled forward. MSP won't drop that far, but there are plenty of others.

05-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

This proposal solves pretty much all of Dallas' holes. Johnson becomes the cornerstone D-Man of the Franchise (if he pans out) the loss on LW brings an opening for Benn (Logjam solved) and at the draft, instead of drafting Cowen (if he's still available) or Larsson the Stars could go get Schroeder which solves the need for a RW w/ a right-handed shot. Good proposal for Dallas, not too sure about L.A.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 07:20 PM
catters078

Have a look at Dallas blue line for the future if the trade was made.. (lol i think the ages are correct)

Johnson 22 (1st rounder)
Niskanen 23 (1st rounder)
Grossman 24 (2nd rounder)
Fistric 23 (1st rounder)
Vishnevskiy 22 (1st rounder)
Daley 25 (2nd rounder)

mouth watering...

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

I think this is a pretty fair deal, but I really like Neal, so a part of me wouldn't want this to happen.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Dallas gets a future #1 D-men
La gets a future 4-50 goal scorer

Dallas needs a franchise dman,
La needs scoring depth/scoring star...

Dallas gets a 21 year old
La gets a 20 year old

fair is fair..

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by schenn29 View Post
Dallas gets a future #1 D-men
La gets a future 4-50 goal scorer

Dallas needs a franchise dman,
La needs scoring depth/scoring star...

Dallas gets a 21 year old
La gets a 20 year old

fair is fair..
Im a huge fan of Neal, but lets go easy on the projections here....

-Vagrant
Chaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I love/hate the deal as a Dallas fan which tells me it's fair. I think the only thing that keeps this from happening is the fact that both clubs are in the Pacific. If they were in opposite conferences I would say this was more likely to be talked about but since they aren't I won't have to worry.

Johnson has a lot to prove this season and the opportunity to see Neal get a season playing alongside Richards should give him every chance to pot 30+ goals.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:49 AM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
You are correct...the Kings would probably have to add a 1st round pick just to get the Stars to consider the trade.
I know you don't think highly of most of the team but isn't this a little overboard, potential d-man # 1's/2's, are thought worth more than wingers, and like you remind us all the time it takes longer for d-men to develop and JJ looked pretty good when he came back......

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
I know you don't think highly of most of the team but isn't this a little overboard, potential d-man # 1's/2's, are thought worth more than wingers, and like you remind us all the time it takes longer for d-men to develop and JJ looked pretty good when he came back......
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. Why deal him now when his value is low and looks like it's about to go up? Not that James Neal is chopped liver or something but our asset is rarer and potentially more valuable.

- R

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:17 AM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

I think this is both a good and bad deal for both teams. JJ may not have set the world on fire yet, but Dmen typically take a bit longer to develop. I still think when he hits his groove he will easily be a top 10 Dman in the league. JJ/Doughty pairing in a couple of seasons is going to be sick. Neal is going to be a top line winger, and I think he'll be more valuable to the Stars in a few years when they will have more of a need for a scoring forward than defense, as they have some good young blueline talent. So really tough to say either team loses, because it's trading young premiere talent for young premiere talent. But IMO I don't think it is a trade that needs to be made

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Caseman

I guess I don't see what others see in Jack Johnson.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
I guess I don't see what others see in Jack Johnson.
Well.....to put things in perspective.....Jack Johnson led team USA in goals (5 goals in 9 games) in the World Championships.....and he is a defenseman. He has some very good offensive talent....when given the opportunity.....which he really has not had in LA.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 10:58 AM
BigG44

I wouldn't want to do a deal like this until Dallas is sure Benn is ready for the NHL. It does seem fair though.

Someone already pointed out that Dallas could land an elite defenseman at the 8th overall pick. I'd rather not lose Neal and take a chance at 8 than have Jack Johnson.

JJ is probably better than the defenseman Dallas would get, but keeping Neal is more important IMO. In 2008, he was Dallas’ most aggressive player with the puck on his stick. He drives hard to the net and lives to score goals. Last year, Dallas' other forwards just didn't match his intensity. Plus, a full year of playing with Brenden Morrow should help him advance to another level of play.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Well.....to put things in perspective.....Jack Johnson led team USA in goals (5 goals in 9 games) in the World Championships.....and he is a defenseman. He has some very good offensive talent....when given the opportunity.....which he really has not had in LA.
Neither in Carolina?

I'm just gun-shy when dealing with a prospect two (supposably Kings fans) teams have passed on.

I have more faith in Neal's development than JJ's. Like BigG said, I'd rather Dallas take their chance drafting a defenseman with their #8 pick.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
Neither in Carolina?

I'm just gun-shy when dealing with a prospect two (supposably Kings fans) teams have passed on.

I have more faith in Neal's development than JJ's. Like BigG said, I'd rather Dallas take their chance drafting a defenseman with their #8 pick.
Carolina would have loved to have Johnson....he was not going to leave college early to join the Hurricanes though....which made the Hurricanes GM upset. That is one of the main reasons he was dealt to LA....not because of a lack of talent.

If he is traded by the Kings it will also not be because of a lack of talent.....it will be because the Kings are far more deep in the defensive position than at forward.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 02:43 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
The OP deserves some credit... quite possibly the first Neal proposal that hasn't been designed to fleece the Stars. It also addresses the upcoming LW logjam (Morrow/Ott/Neal/Benn) ...

I'd still be really nervous doing something like this though. JMFJ will probably reach most of his potential, but it was a little disconcerting watching how fast he was passed developmentally by Doughty. Don't know... tough one.
this is the thing that kings fans have a hard time getting a grasp on. i think it says a lot more about d. doughty than it does about j. johnson.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Zal

I think the main thing Kings fans tend to forget is not so much how quickly they develop, but what their ceiling as players can be. DD is slated to be no less than a Ray Bourque or a Paul Coffey, where JJ is slated more of a franchise-type d-man.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 06:37 PM
wesott11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
To DAL: Jack Johnson
To LA: James Neal
unless LA sees massive improvements by doughty, KQ, greene all step it up and they take a real shot at J-Bo then i dont see this happening. a great team is built from the backend. goaltending is finally looking up in LA, defense has great potential, offense is only one click away from producing.this team is on the brink of success and i would personally keep johnson...

(sorry i know i sound like a broken record but eh, im new on here i like giving opinions.)

wesott11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Neal is a good player, but you don't trade players with JJ's skillset, this would be another in a long line of blunders by the Kings when it comes to defenseman.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

This one's probably worth bumping again, considering the latest rumour craze.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
This one's probably worth bumping again, considering the latest rumour craze.
?

You mean that rumor that JJ's father talked to a Russian team?

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
?

You mean that rumor that JJ's father talked to a Russian team?
No, no, not that one.

The one where JJ's supposedly being shopped around to teams like Tampa.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote