HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Is Nathan Horton worth a High Prospect?

Old
05-18-2009, 02:11 PM
nanzenkills

vCash: 500
At a $4 million cap hit for 4 more years, I don't see Florida moving Horton at all. I think he is a great value at that cap hit, especially since he is under contract for so long, too. For a power forward, he puts up decent numbers, and he plays a physical game that makes him more valuable than his numbers alone.

If I were the Panthers, the only trade offer that I would even remotely consider out of everything that has been proposed in this thread is the Briere-JVR-Bourdon offer, and even then, I would only make that trade if it becomes apparent that Bouwmeester won't re-sign.

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:20 PM
CrossCheck

From his high draft selection, We can say that Horton is a bust... A good second liner at best. Power foward? Let's say he's big, tough to move from the puck... Won't drop mits or initiate heavy body checks. I don't think he's that much of leader neether...

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
From his high draft selection, We can say that Horton is a bust... A good second liner at best. Power foward? Let's say he's big, tough to move from the puck... Won't drop mits or initiate heavy body checks. I don't think he's that much of leader neether...
108 goals in 302 games, that averages out to 29 goals in an 82 game season. That is from ages 20, 21, 22 and 23. Yea, he is barley a 2nd liner and a bust. lol He is on a better career path then Jason Arnott.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
I'm not a big fan of his, but his far from a bust.

This whole thread reeks of ridiculousness. From the OP claiming he's a UFA after next season to every proposal since then.

Wow

05-18-2009, 04:56 PM
CrossCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
108 goals in 302 games, that averages out to 29 goals in an 82 game season. That is from ages 20, 21, 22 and 23. Yea, he is barley a 2nd liner and a bust. lol He is on a better career path then Jason Arnott.
Not enough for a 3rd OVERALL pick... Thats what I meant.

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 02:56 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

He's worth a high prospect easily. The guy is a proven 25-30 goal scorer. Who knows if a prospect will ever be able to do that?

I've always thought he'd be a good fit for the Pens. The Pens have salary cap issues and wouldn't be able to move just a prospect for him though.

A popular trade proposal around here always seems to be Nathan Horton for Jordan Staal. It's logical. Both players really haven't reached their full potential on their current teams for a variety of different reasons. It seem like they could both benefit from a change of scenery.

Florida needs a young Center to build around and Staal is a natural Center. Horton is not.

Staal has not been able to make any transition to the wing in Pittsburgh in his recent opportunities. He needs to get out of Malkin & Crosby's shadow and have an opportunity to play with a 1st line winger of his own and develop that way. I could see him going to Florida and being that young center they've been looking for to play with David Booth. He'd struggle early on there, but I think he'd develop into a good player with Booth next to him over time.

Florida tried Horton at Center last year and they didn't seem to get the results they were looking for. He seems to be more of a natural winger and shooter. He'd be a much better fit with the Pens since they have the playmakers to feed him the puck and Florida does not.

I don't see this deal happening, but it does make some sense for both sides.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Sunfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT 91 NYI View Post
I think a team like Ottawa could bring him in for the 9th pick. That might make sense
To Florida:
2009 1st
Kelly

To Ottawa:
Horton
2009 1st - 14th
Ellerby

Sunfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 10:39 AM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfire View Post
To Florida:
2009 1st
Kelly

To Ottawa:
Horton
2009 1st - 14th
Ellerby
Forgot Spezza.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Biggzy*

Quote:
To Florida:
2009 1st
Kelly

To Ottawa:
Horton
2009 1st - 14th
Ellerby
Why would you even bother posting something that awful? There should be a bucket of slime from You Can't Do That on Television above your head ready to tip as you click 'submit reply'.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
To Florida:
2009 1st
Kelly

To Ottawa:
Horton
2009 1st - 14th
Ellerby
So it's going to cost FLA Horton, a recent first rounder, AND take on Kelly's salary to move up from 14th to 9th? You need to lay off the glue-sniffing.

OTT should be thrilled to get Horton for the 9th pick overall. He's locked up for 4 more years at a reasonable rate, and is a productive 2nd liner with 1st liner skills & potential if he can get his head on straight and stay healthy.

All of that being said - there's no way that FLA trades Horton for the 9th pick this year - none.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Biggzy*

I'd do something like Horton and Bo's rights

for

Ott 1st 09
E. Karlsson
Foligno

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 11:28 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
I can see Edmonton being very interested in bringing him in to play on Gagner's RW.

No idea what Edmonton would part with in the deal though.

Omark and Nilsson?

Eberle is pretty untouchable I think.

--

On further though.... he'll probably get value similar to what Cammy got LA last year.

What was that, 22nd OV for Cammalleri straight up?

Can't see it being much more (or less) than that.... he's basically a 1 year rental.

Edit:

Ignore this. OP said UFA, not 4 years left on his contract.
If Horton was offered to Edmonton for Eberle + I would think the Oilers would jump all over that.

Eberle and Nilsson for Horton, yeah that won't happen.

Jagr - Horcoff - Hemsky
Cogliano - Gagner - Horton

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote