HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gilbert+Cogliano for Gomez + Rights to Zherdev

Old
05-19-2009, 11:23 AM
pork chop sandwiches

vCash: 500
gomez is not the answer the oilers are looking for. the oilers are in the market for an elite LW-er ideally... not an underachieving, overpaid center.... we already have one of those and he has a smaller cap hit... so this is a lateral move at best

this seems like a classic case of forcing a deal that doesnt address team needs...

zherdev is alright.. but a right winger.. which still doesnt quite fit the oilers needs. plus there is no guarantee that he will sign in edmonton anyways... so no thanks

pork chop sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I'm glad you like it.

If a team(cough,cough the Oilers or Montreal)can't attract a top free agent and they decided to trade for Gomez or Briere,they would in a sense be acquiring a free agent contract and dumping their bad contract(s)in the process.

In this economy,the real money is the actual remaining monetary value on the contract.

If you can't see that,...................
I would rather the Oilers be the team that can't attract top free agents(cough, cough Souray) than the team that signs Gomez, Drury, and Redden to insanely retarded contracts(21 million cap hit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
How about

Roszival and rights to Zherdev for Gilbert and Pisani
Zherdev has zero value since odds are he will bolt back to Russia or want Gomez/Drury money. Plus he's not taking Hemsky's spot on the RW. No way we trade Gilbert for Rozy straight up. Pisani for the salary dump but NYR has too many RFA's to resign that are better than Pisani....for the money

Last edited by Homesick: 05-19-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
Secondly, what do you expect Zherdev to demand next season? I'm just curious. As a 60 point player, he can expect what, 4 million? Now you're looking at paying 18 million for Drury, Gomez and Zherdev, none of which got 60 points last season. You've also got 12 million locked up in Redden and Roszival and another 7 million in Lundqvist. This leaves you with all of 15-20 million to fill out 2-3 spots in your top 6, 5 spots in your bottom 6 and 2 D-men..
Never really thought about it in that manner - and my god does it paint just a brutally bad picture for the Rangers immediate futures. $37M tied up in your top 6 players, and there's exactly one difference maker (Lundquist)! Add in that 4 of the those contracts run at least 3 more years, and it's just crazy bad.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 11:51 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I'm glad you like it.

If a team(cough,cough the Oilers or Montreal)can't attract a top free agent and they decided to trade for Gomez or Briere,they would in a sense be acquiring a free agent contract and dumping their bad contract(s)in the process.

In this economy,the real money is the actual remaining monetary value on the contract.

If you can't see that
I can't disagree more with that statement above!!! and if you can't see that then...

Edmonton and NY are both among the top 7 revenue earners in the NHL... neither team has to worry about the economy because as bad as the economy is, both teams are still making tons of money. All Canadian teams do in general, despite the hit in the economy. The top 7 league wide earners are the 6 Canadian teams and the Rangers.

Why would such teams care about how much they have to pay their players?? Both of these teams can sustain a payroll significantly higher than the current salary cap!

What matters to both teams is the cap hit. As a Rangers fan, how you can't see that is beyond me!

For low-market teams the actual $$ make a huge difference... and a player with lower salary than his actual cap hit can be a more attractive player to such teams... Edmonton is not such a team, and neither is NY.... for these teams it's ALL about the cap hit. They will make money regardless and have the money to pay them their salaries... what they don't have, regardless of how much money they make, is unlimited room under a salary cap.

again, if you can't see that................

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 12:19 PM
ecemleafs

what about gomez to columbus? they lack a 1st line center and had a lot of cap space this year. some teams that dont actually pay to the cap can afford to take a larger salary and have it not cripple there team.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Mjollnir9*

I don't want anyone from the Oilers in a Ranger uni except for Souray or Penner...

Mjollnir9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjollnir9 View Post
I don't want anyone from the Oilers in a Ranger uni except for Souray or Penner...
Wow some people really amaze me.

You would rather have Penner over Hemsky, Cogliano, Gagner, Gilbert, Visnovski, Grebeshkov??

Do Rangers fans actually enjoy having overpaid players on their roster.

(FYI I actually think Penner will have a good year but all those other players are clearly better)

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjollnir9 View Post
....seriously?
I'm pretty sure a lot of teams wouldnt mind Hemsky, Visnovsky, Gagner, Cogliano, O'Sullivan, Gilbert

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Yitz

Gomez is no #1 center.

Yitz is offline   Reply With Quote