HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chuck Kobasew for a mobile puck moving dman?

Old
05-19-2009, 03:22 PM
bb_fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMaker View Post
I couldn't disagree more- on all counts.

-Wideman has a serious lack of foot speed. Awesome dman, but everyone has weaknesses and Wideman's is that he's just not very fast. And neither is Chara, Ward, Stuart or Hnidy.

-Without Hunwick and Ference, the B's didn't have the mobility to handle Carolina's forecheckers. It was their achilles heel. It's no coincidence that all 4 teams still playing have much more mobility than the B's defense. Not necessarily better Dmen, but more good skaters.

And if you don't believe me, KPD said on 7 Sports Xtra that the two areas the team wanted to improve this summer were size up front and more speed on the back end.
never said wether or not i believe the bruins want to add more speed on the blueline or size up front, but my point still stands, the Bruins lost because they kept trying to do there staged breakout/puck control plays from behind the blue line, not because the d-men couldnt make plays. and also because the forwards werent coming back down low enough to give them options for the outlet.

the games they won, was that becuase carolina stopped forechecking, or becuase boston stopped waiting behind the net for the forecheck to come?

i dont see Kobesaw getting what would be needed, and thats a legit top two guy with speed, mobility, vision, and a physical presence.

You cant give up all your physical D-men (Chara, Ward, Stuart) just because they arent the fastest guys in the league. Chara and Stuart certainly get the job done, as does ward, but of course they are gonna be playing against faster forwards at times.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 03:28 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
Ditto for me. I know it's human nature (for both fans and GM's alike) to contemplate which types of personnel changes/upgrades should be made after the season, but I would consider this offseason a huge success if they Bruins could simply start next year with virtually the same team as this year. IMO, that's their challenge. I'm fine with these 6 guys on the back end, and I'd love for them to keep Montador around as a 7th defenseman, or give a guy like McQuaid a shot as a 5/6 pairing defenseman. Up front, I'd love to bring back their lineup exactly as is, including Recchi. I have a feeling that Axe might be gone, so give Lehtonen or Sobotka a chance to make the big club.

I know I'm in the vast minority here, but with their sheer depth of talent up front, I'd like to see them move a RW for some picks and prospects. Just save some cap space for next summer, and keep the prospect pool stocked. Not a sexy move for a contending team, but might be the smartest thing to do.
i agree.

You cant have yor cake and eat it to.

Every team out there wants fast, mobile, physical defensemen and forwards.

I like the Bruins mix on the blue line of guys that are physical (chara, ward stuart) and guys that skate better (wideman, ferrence hunwick). to many bangers, and your speed gets exposed, to many smaller guys, and there play in front of the net and along the boarsds gets exposed.

same with the forwards. unless you are drafting ans signing players who can do it all (who would also command a premium salary) you have to mix and match things.

Old
05-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
never said wether or not i believe the bruins want to add more speed on the blueline or size up front, but my point still stands, the Bruins lost because they kept trying to do there staged breakout/puck control plays from behind the blue line, not because the d-men couldnt make plays. and also because the forwards werent coming back down low enough to give them options for the outlet.

the games they won, was that becuase carolina stopped forechecking, or becuase boston stopped waiting behind the net for the forecheck to come?

i dont see Kobesaw getting what would be needed, and thats a legit top two guy with speed, mobility, vision, and a physical presence.

You cant give up all your physical D-men (Chara, Ward, Stuart) just because they arent the fastest guys in the league. Chara and Stuart certainly get the job done, as does ward, but of course they are gonna be playing against faster forwards at times.
And I still disagree. They make those staged plays because they lack guys with the speed and vision to skate the puck past forecheckers and/or beat them with creative passes. At least one forward came below the faceoff circle on every break out, usually the LW. The problem was not the forwards. The problem was the B's defensemen not being able to get to the puck before the other team, or were hit the second they touched it- which disrupted their set plays, and left them no time for anything other than 'd to d to the low forward' or 'chip it off the glass'.

Heck, watch the first 20 seconds of Game 7. Pitkanen retrieves a dump in before we can get any pressure, steps out in front of his own net, cranks the puck 200 feet on TT who puts the rebound in the corner- AND WALKER BEATS CHARA TO THE PUCK. Their whole game plan was get in on our defense, because they were slow and not particularly good passers, and it worked.

As for the games we won, I think that 2 of the games the B's won because Carolina didn't show up- games 1 and 5. And two of the games Carolina won were because the B's didn't show up- games 3 and 4. But in the other games, Carolina was consistently able to turn momentum and hem the B's in with by forechecking our slow dmen, and preventing them from making clean breakout passes.

I'm not suggesting we swap out all our rugged Dmen for puck movers, but I am saying we need to have more puck movers than lumbering physical guys, because that's how the game is played now.

Bill Ladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It seems to have the salary savings, the guy coming back to Boston has to be either on an entry level deal, or middling enough to be on a low-end second contract.

Would prospect type puck movers be of any use to the Bruins?

05-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It seems to have the salary savings, the guy coming back to Boston has to be either on an entry level deal, or middling enough to be on a low-end second contract.

Would prospect type puck movers be of any use to the Bruins?
No. Though in my world, the puck mover could make as much as Kobasew, and the B's would save by moving Ward out in a separate deal, and then re-signing Recchi (who only made $1.25) or replacing Kobasew with Sobotka. However, how I feel and how the Bruins feel may not be the same thing. For example, maybe the B's aren't willing to part with Ward.

Bill Ladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:27 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMaker View Post
And I still disagree. They make those staged plays because they lack guys with the speed and vision to skate the puck past forecheckers and/or beat them with creative passes. At least one forward came below the faceoff circle on every break out, usually the LW. The problem was not the forwards. The problem was the B's defensemen not being able to get to the puck before the other team, or were hit the second they touched it- which disrupted their set plays, and left them no time for anything other than 'd to d to the low forward' or 'chip it off the glass'.

Heck, watch the first 20 seconds of Game 7. Pitkanen retrieves a dump in before we can get any pressure, steps out in front of his own net, cranks the puck 200 feet on TT who puts the rebound in the corner- AND WALKER BEATS CHARA TO THE PUCK. Their whole game plan was get in on our defense, because they were slow and not particularly good passers, and it worked.

As for the games we won, I think that 2 of the games the B's won because Carolina didn't show up- games 1 and 5. And two of the games Carolina won were because the B's didn't show up- games 3 and 4. But in the other games, Carolina was consistently able to turn momentum and hem the B's in with by forechecking our slow dmen, and preventing them from making clean breakout passes.

I'm not suggesting we swap out all our rugged Dmen for puck movers, but I am saying we need to have more puck movers than lumbering physical guys, because that's how the game is played now.
disagree totally.

we dont have any 'lumbering' D-men.

Carolina had a game plan, it was to get the puck deep with an aggressive two man fore check.

you can cherry pick what ever plays you want, you are never going to win all the board battles or races to the puck.

unless its an upgrade or Hunwick or Ferrence, trading Kobesaw isnt gonna get you what u want.

enjoy