HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Court case (Bus pass) need advice

Old
05-18-2009, 10:17 PM
mikko_koivu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
She saves you $165 and she's a moron? You didn't deserve that break.
i apreaciate the fact that she took off the $165 but who in the world can honestly say they would go look for a shovel to get their cell phone out of a show bank? and its not like i was in any danger of getting hit by a train as it wasnt coming for another like 15 minutes and the fact that you almost have to be dead to not know one of those trains are coming with all the noise and vibrations make.

mikko_koivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Travis Moen

A woman got fined because she wasn't holding the escalator handrail in a metro station

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/National

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 10:38 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
A woman got fined because she wasn't holding the escalator handrail in a metro station

Only cause she was giving the cops attitude. There's no way in hell a cop backs off in such a case. Could you just imagine?

Cop: please hold on to the handrail when using the escalator.

Woman: I don't have 3 hands you know? Besides, what rule am I breaking by not holding the handrail? No one hold it you know!

Cop: sorry ma'am, you're absolutely correct. Move along, and don't hold the handrail if you don't feel like it. Sorry to have disturbed you.

As if.....

When a cop tells you to hold the handrail, you hold the god damn handrail. This ***** gave them lip, and got what she deserved. Cops did nothing wrong.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 05-19-2009 at 04:53 PM.
snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 10:45 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
Only cause she was giving the cops attitude. There's no way in hell a cop backs off in such a case. Could you just imagine?

Woman: I don't have 3 hands you know? Besides, what rule am I breaking by not holding the handrail? No one hold it you know!

Cop: sorry ma'am, you're absolutely correct. Move along, and don't hold the handrail if you don't feel like it. Sorry to have disturbed you.

As if.....

When a cop tells you to hold the handrail, you hold the god damn handrail. This btch gave them lip, and got what she deserved. Cops did nothing wrong.
If you dont know it's against the law...
Just give her a ****ing warning. Take her aside and tell her there is a law and that next time she'll get a ticket. Cause I'm sorry....I'm pretty sure 99% of people who take the subway dont know about that law and a huge percentage doesn't hold on to the handrail.
How about the security guy goes "I'm sorry mam could you hold the hand rail. There's a law and there was an accident recently. It's for safety reasons." It wouldnt even be in the news today.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Kikizaz

I've had a little bit of experience challenging tickets. DO IT, there is a good chance the ticket gets ripped up and an even better chance it gets reduced. A friend had a 108 dollar jaywalking ticket turned into an 8 dollar fine with 2 years to pay it.

Kikizaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:10 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
don't waste the system's time...pay it!
yeah, because none of us have ever had our time wasted by the provincial government right?

LOL

Fight it! Screw the STM they're money grubbing ********.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
If you dont know it's against the law...
Just give her a ****ing warning. Take her aside and tell her there is a law and that next time she'll get a ticket. Cause I'm sorry....I'm pretty sure 99% of people who take the subway dont know about that law and a huge percentage doesn't hold on to the handrail.
How about the security guy goes "I'm sorry mam could you hold the hand rail. There's a law and there was an accident recently. It's for safety reasons." It wouldnt even be in the news today.
AFAIK she WAS told that she wasn't respecting the law, but instead of complying she continue doing what she was doing (which was ruminaging with her two hands in her handbag while on the elevator - which IS pretty dangerous and dumb).

On one hand I'm sorry for her because the fine is quite steep, but on the other hand I would like people to understand than cops CAN'T be talked back. EVER. If you piss them off they HAVE to fine you, even if the offense was pretty stupid to begin with.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Booky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins77 View Post
But I don't know the prosecutors number. All I have is the letter from the court and the information number. How would I get in touch with the prosecutor? By the information number?
Call the court clerk, give him the file number and ask him which prosecutor is in charge with the said file. When you get his name, ask how you can get in touch with him.

Then you follow what was said in my previous message.

If you need any additionnal info, PM me.

See God, I'm even nice to bruins fans

Booky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booky View Post
Call the court clerk, give him the file number and ask him which prosecutor is in charge with the said file. When you get his name, ask how you can get in touch with him.

Then you follow what was said in my previous message.

If you need any additionnal info, PM me.

See God, I'm even nice to bruins fans

...In fact we all know you are trying to get him jailed for attempted bribery .

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:07 AM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
AFAIK she WAS told that she wasn't respecting the law, but instead of complying she continue doing what she was doing (which was ruminaging with her two hands in her handbag while on the elevator - which IS pretty dangerous and dumb).

On one hand I'm sorry for her because the fine is quite steep, but on the other hand I would like people to understand than cops CAN'T be talked back. EVER. If you piss them off they HAVE to fine you, even if the offense was pretty stupid to begin with.
I don't know what world you live in, but I don't obey police just because they bark an order. And I don't suffer the consequences lightly. The first question you EVER ask a cop in a confrontational situation is 'do I need legal council ?' And the answer to any question other than identity unless driving is 'I think I need to consult council before answering'

Obviously this doesn't help the OP - I suggest you gather as much information as possible before formulating your strategy. Do you have receipts or records of your purchases? Make sure you send a letter to the transpo company asking for dates of purchases for the ID for your monthly pass. Bring this stuff with you, and point out to the magistrate you made as simple mistake. You forgot your correct ID. That's your only 'crime'
Point out that a traffic cop will often give you 24hrs to produce insurance certificate before charging you.

If you receive a conviction, you can still appeal. If things go against you, advise the judge you plan to so. You don't need a lawyer for any of this, in fact you are much better off without one for this type of thing.
Most Canadian lawyers seem more interested in racking up billable hours than winning cases, in my experience anyway.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:10 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post

shes so gonna argue, shes a law student... Cops must find it so frustrating when the people they give tickets too are lawyers, or soon to be lawyers

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
I don't know what world you live in, but I don't obey police just because they bark an order. And I don't suffer the consequences lightly. The first question you EVER ask a cop in a confrontational situation is 'do I need legal council ?' And the answer to any question other than identity unless driving is 'I think I need to consult council before answering'
That's not what I would call "talking back to the cops".

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 03:44 PM
nas84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins77 View Post
I received my hearing date almost a year after it occurred.
ughh...i cant believe im about to help a bruins fan

Im not a lawyer, but what you said right there might help you a bit.

Section 11b of the canadian charter of rights and freedoms guarantees a speedy trial. Im not sure of the section (check it up if u have time) bit it might be a plausible defense. Being that it happened so long ago, how can the cop be so sure of the details given the amount of tickets he gives out on a daily basis.

nas84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 03:55 PM
TheCH*

Quote:

As if.....

When a cop tells you to hold the handrail, you hold the god damn handrail. This btch gave them lip, and got what she deserved. Cops did nothing wrong.
Those mother****ing cops were just on a power trip! **** them.
All the young cops in my area go around doing that type of BS as well.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
Twice for a traffic violation and the 3rd was for having open alcohol in public. All 3 times the cops showed up and me and my friend have nothing on our records

It's a total myth that they don't show up. In fact, every time I was at the court (usually the one near Vanier), there were about 6-7 other cops there, in full uniform no less, waiting to testify for their cases as well.
I don't know about that, I know my dad challenged a stop sign and parking ticket and the cop didn't show up both times. I guess it depends on your luck.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Booky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas84 View Post
ughh...i cant believe im about to help a bruins fan

Im not a lawyer, but what you said right there might help you a bit.

Section 11b of the canadian charter of rights and freedoms guarantees a speedy trial. Im not sure of the section (check it up if u have time) bit it might be a plausible defense. Being that it happened so long ago, how can the cop be so sure of the details given the amount of tickets he gives out on a daily basis.
Thats the argument of unreasonable delay.
This is certainly not an unreasonable delay.

Booky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 04:39 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Those mother****ing cops were just on a power trip! **** them.
All the young cops in my area go around doing that type of BS as well.
There are nice cops, and then there are those that just enjoy being dciks. I know exactly what you're talking about. However, giving cops attitude is just plain stupid. If you want to fight the cop, you fight him in court. Attempting to do so on the street will get you cuffed. A cop will not back down.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Slick Nick

We had a thread about this a few years ago...

I still wonder why a student who's considered too poor to pay full for his bus pass gets the same fine as someone who's just trying to fraud the system. Makes no sense to me. The student is usually guilty of being lazy.. while the other one is simply trying to fraud.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 12:22 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:

As if.....

When a cop tells you to hold the handrail, you hold the god damn handrail. This ***** gave them lip, and got what she deserved. Cops did nothing wrong.
Oh! So the ticket was for attitude, not because of the handrail?

Those cops were a couple of pinheads

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 12:28 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
There are nice cops, and then there are those that just enjoy being dciks. I know exactly what you're talking about. However, giving cops attitude is just plain stupid. If you want to fight the cop, you fight him in court. Attempting to do so on the street will get you cuffed. A cop will not back down.
And tripping like that makes sense to you? If they are arresting somebody for attitude they should charge them with that. Not some phony ticket just because . . . oh horror . . . somebody made them upset. That makes sense to you?

That sounds like abuse of power to me. They should be charged with harrassment

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote