HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rights to Sign Madden + picks

Old
05-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Omar Little
Omar comin yo

vCash: 500
Rights to Sign Madden + picks

I was thinking the rights to sign Madden + Devils second round pick + Devils 5th round pick would maybe be able to get a pick in the 31-40 range from a rebuilding team needing a 3rd line veteran leader

Omar Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 01:22 AM
Laus723
Future Now

I don't think so. Teams won't trade for rights to a guy like Madden, most likely. And they'll likely stick with their picks if they're rebuilding, that's generally the best way to rebuild.

05-20-2009, 01:55 AM
The Puck

There's a few checking-line UFAs who might be in a similar salary range, like Pahlsson, Marchant, Moore, Malhotra, Bonk, Niedermayer, LaRose, Peca, Reasoner, etc., so teams will probably wait to see what the market is like instead of making a pitch for Madden before July 1st.

Likewise, Madden will probably also want to play the field and see what the offers are like instead of signing with a different team before July 1st.

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 02:37 AM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

vCash: 29943
You know I've never understood the whole "rights to sign" a player. I'm sure I am oversimplifying the process, but I would think an UFA player would know generally what it would cost to play for a certain franchise, and I would hope that they would be able to communicate that to the GM shopping for him. I'm sure the agents muck things up, the real world equivilant of the scum bag lawyers. If you need a couple of weeks uninterrupted time to negotiate with a player than I would look seriously at the skills of my GM to sign any player, and the role the agents play in this post-CBA NHL. To me the willingness to give up a draft pick to have an opportunity to get a FA speaks volumes to me as a player on the quality of a franchise. I mean Columbus potentially gave up a 3rd for the negotiation rights to Ryan Malone(who is not an elite player by any means), and they still didn't land him last year. And I know that CLB did not lose their 3rd, but still... To me it is opening the bargaining process from a position of weakness. This has become a stupid bargaining chip, and while I respect JM, his best hockey years are behind him and I wouldn't give a toss for his exclusive rights. I don't mean to sound harsh to the OP for the scenario. I'm just more harsh on the entire free agency trend I'm seeing. So essentially this is a 2nd and 5th for a mid/low 2nd from NJ. Pass. And like I said I'm not bashing you, Devils13, I'm bashing the system that has been created. Here endeth my rant.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 06:28 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Rebuilding teams don't trade for the rights to a 30 year old third line center. The reason their rebuilding is in most cases because the already have too many third, fourth liners.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 06:32 AM
hfboardsuser

I think this is something the Oil would consider; they own the 40th pick.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 06:52 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils13 View Post
I was thinking the rights to sign Madden + Devils second round pick + Devils 5th round pick would maybe be able to get a pick in the 31-40 range from a rebuilding team needing a 3rd line veteran leader
If you flipped the logic around a bit you may have more buy-in. As someone has already indicated, rebuilding teams normally don't trade away valuable draft picks for veteran players. The team that would probably consider a deal like this would be on the verge of a winning season. This team's GM would be looking for those players that would put them over the top and deep into the playoffs.

The one deal breaking question would be whether or not Madden is the kind of player to make the difference to a team on the verge of winning big.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 09:08 AM
MakoSlade

Send a message via AIM to MakoSlade Send a message via MSN to MakoSlade Send a message via Yahoo to MakoSlade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
The one deal breaking question would be whether or not Madden is the kind of player to make the difference to a team on the verge of winning big.
I think an underacheiving team would go for Madden big time, like San Jose. Get a proven winner and one pretty darn intense player for the third/fourth line. I doubt anyone trades anything for exclusive signing rights though.

MakoSlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 05:25 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoSlade View Post
I think an underacheiving team would go for Madden big time, like San Jose. Get a proven winner and one pretty darn intense player for the third/fourth line. I doubt anyone trades anything for exclusive signing rights though.
I couldn't agree more.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote