HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Suggestions for buying a pair of cheap skates

Old
05-21-2009, 01:18 AM
ilovetheflyers8

vCash: 500
Suggestions for buying a pair of cheap skates

I'm thinking about getting a pair of inexpensive hockey skates just to skate around in, does anybody have suggestions for pairs that are good but relatively cheap?

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 05-21-2009 at 01:28 AM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 01:40 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I'm not sure what cheap is for you.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 01:46 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
I'm not sure what cheap is for you.
Well I was thinking in the $40-50 range as I know skates aren't going to be $20 (though that would be awesome) but I did a quick look around online and didn't see anything at that price. I guess even up to $60 would be okay. - Really any suggestions you have even if they are more than what I said would be helpful though. I need to get a job .

edit: I'm probably being naive about finding skates for $40-50

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 05-21-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old
05-21-2009, 08:14 AM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
you could probably find some bauer's around that price..go to ebay youll find some deals

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 09:20 AM
noobman

You might want to consider a used pair of old Bauer Supreme skates.

If you're just doing leisure skating and not playing hockey you could probably get away with a model even lower than Supremes (dunno what its called). Just remember that those offer very little impact protection, as they're not really designed to be able to prevent injury from the whack of a stick or a puck shot.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 09:36 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Well I was thinking in the $40-50 range as I know skates aren't going to be $20 (though that would be awesome) but I did a quick look around online and didn't see anything at that price. I guess even up to $60 would be okay. - Really any suggestions you have even if they are more than what I said would be helpful though. I need to get a job .

Yeah, I think you are. You need to bump your budget to around $100 or so.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Not at all. Right now hockeygiant has Nike Bauer One05s for under $50 (before shipping) and Easton Synergy S50s for $54.99.

EDIT: I'm still using Easton Synergy 200s, which you can find for dirt cheap sometimes. They aren't high end by any means, but they don't seem to hold me back at all.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 11:32 AM
LilWinger11

If there are any pro shops in your areas that sell used skates, that might be worth looking into. I assume you're an adult, or at least old enough that your feet are done growing, so you'll want to get skates that fit you really well. If you do, they should last you several years. I'd avoid chain stores like Sports Authority simply because their employees may or may not know anything about fitting skates, and a pair that doesn't fit you right won't last as long as it should.

I've heard people say Play-It-Again-Sports is a good resource, but I've found the exact opposite. The one near me regularly sells skates that are broken down and belong in the trash, and they do a terrible job fitting. If you know hockey players from your area who say they get their stuff or their kids' stuff there it's probably ok, but otherwise I'd avoid it.

I got my first hockey skates new at a local pro shop for $80, and those were to start playing hockey in. If all you want is something for public skating, I bet you could get either a low-end new skate or a higer-end used skate in the $60-$80 range.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 01:26 PM
tobyandmisty

I have the Bauer One05s and love them. They are great for the price.

tobyandmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

You may want to check out a Play-It-Again sports store if you have one where you are. They deal in new gear but also buy and trade used gear.

You may be able to get a $150 used for $60 or something. Maybe a $100 skate for $40 etc.

Anyway ... there's no shame in buying used gear.

Check the store locations link on their website and see. If you wear a large men's size like 12 or 13 you will probably be out of luck because they are rarely traded in. usually the medium sizes prevail on their shelves.

http://www.playitagainsports.com/

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:41 AM
shoeshine boy

the warehouse at Hockeyworld.com has some great deals. you'll need to register to see what they've got but they've got some crazy good prices.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:49 AM

my suggestion is to not buy cheap skates as they can last you a long time and as you get better you are going to want more comfortable skates. unless you only plan on skating like once every six months. treat yourself to a higher end skate and you will probably find it more enjoyable to skate and thus making you play more and get better quicker.

example: i spent a bit more on vapor 10's i still have them 8 years later and they are still as comfortable as the day i bought them...

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 01:36 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Just find a pair that fits well is my advice. If you're just skating around, you don't need high end stuff. If they don't feel comfortable when you try them on, don't buy that pair. Try a different brand.

Used skates are a good idea too. Play it again is good, and a lot of hockey shops have used skates too.

And you should be able to find skates in that price range just fine.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Stefan It Up

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting a pair of inexpensive hockey skates just to skate around in, does anybody have suggestions for pairs that are good but relatively cheap?
Bauer, Easton, CCM, RBK all make decent low-end skates in the same price range. Just make sure you get the brand that fits your foot properly. Yes, each brand fits different types of feet. Yes, you could regret it if you go with one brand over another just to save $5.

Stefan It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
the warehouse at Hockeyworld.com has some great deals. you'll need to register to see what they've got but they've got some crazy good prices.
I just bought something from there ... some closeout skates for a great price.

I wasn't a member and was able to purchase them okay. There's more to see if one registers? I guess I'll register then and check it out, thanks for the tip.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 11:06 AM
greyraven8

Instead of buying a pair of cheap new skates, see if you can find a better skate that is used.

The last couple pair I bought were CCM Tacks. I have wider flat feet and find CCM 'E' width skates fit me the best of the ones I've tried.

Like someone already said try a Play-it-again or other used sports shop. You can also try kijiji, and look for ads at your local hockey arenas. If you don't know which brand and width fit you best, you will need to try on some pairs before you buy.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 11:39 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyraven8 View Post
Instead of buying a pair of cheap new skates, see if you can find a better skate that is used.

The last couple pair I bought were CCM Tacks. I have wider flat feet and find CCM 'E' width skates fit me the best of the ones I've tried.

Like someone already said try a Play-it-again or other used sports shop. You can also try kijiji, and look for ads at your local hockey arenas. If you don't know which brand and width fit you best, you will need to try on some pairs before you buy.
Thanks . I'll keep my eye out for those I actually have wide flat feet as well.

Old
06-12-2009, 11:53 AM
stick9

******I WOULD NEVER SUGGEST THIS TO SOMEONE LOOKING FOR EVEN AN ENTRY LEVEL SKATE TO PLAY IN****** If all you are gonna do is casually skate around in them every so often, you don't need to be all that picky. Make sure they fit, but since you aren't playing hockey in them you don't have to go too the extreme like someone who plays and spends a ton of time in them would.

Used is a great idea. It will save you some $$ and you won't need to break them in.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote