HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zanon, Preds not close on contract talks

Old
05-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Zanon, Preds not close on contract talks

as per Glennon

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We can't afford to overpay Greg Zanon. I like him. I like having him on our roster. However, it might be in our best interest to simply say goodbye if we have to pay over 2.25-2.5 million for him......The PK stat is grossly misleading as well. Frankly, I think he has the propensity to be our worst PKer because he is constantly out of position.

05-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
We can't afford to overpay Greg Zanon. I like him. I like having him on our roster. However, it might be in our best interest to simply say goodbye if we have to pay over 2.25-2.5 million for him......The PK stat is grossly misleading as well. Frankly, I think he has the propensity to be our worst PKer because he is constantly out of position.
couldn't have said it better myself

Old
05-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Couldn't disagree more with the two comments above me. However I do agree that at this point we'll just have to let him walk.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 09:25 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'd like to see Zanon brought back, but he reminds me a lot of Skrastins when he left town. Was going to make too much money, and his weaknesses would later be exposed as a one-trick pony.

Predanerd...there's really no way around it...Zanon is an excellent shot blocker, but that's pretty much the only thing he brings.

With all that said, 1.5-2 million a year for 3 years is all i'd be comfortable with.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 07:55 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'd be happy with

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Klein/Franson
Sulzer-Franson/Klein
Cheap FA

If they sign Zanon, to me it will signal a move that Ellis is on his way out the door.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 11:45 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I'd be happy with

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Klein/Franson
Sulzer-Franson/Klein
Cheap FA

If they sign Zanon, to me it will signal a move that Ellis is on his way out the door.
From all indications, Franson is not NHL ready. If we let Zanon go, a cheap vet would have to be brought in.

Old
05-21-2009, 11:50 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
From all indications, Franson is not NHL ready. If we let Zanon go, a cheap vet would have to be brought in.
Franson showed improvement in the playoffs. I would give him a chance to try and win the job.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 12:53 PM
cjerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Franson showed improvement in the playoffs. I would give him a chance to try and win the job.
Great improvement, he single-handledly accounted for the 2 goal lead Houston had in the 3rd period.

He puts up nice offensive numbers, but can't play D, which is sometimes too to know how to do as a defenseman.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 06:04 PM
skipper49

yeah, let Zanon walk, let Ellis walk, bring up some more light-weight, inexperienced prospects, even better buy some, give them enough ice time in the first half of the season to bury the Preds in the standings then play playoff hockey for the last two months in order to not make the playoffs again, oh yes, then trade Rinne and give Chet Pickard the #1 position....sounds like something the Preds would do...Yup!

skipper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 06:34 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper49 View Post
yeah, let Zanon walk, let Ellis walk, bring up some more light-weight, inexperienced prospects, even better buy some, give them enough ice time in the first half of the season to bury the Preds in the standings then play playoff hockey for the last two months in order to not make the playoffs again, oh yes, then trade Rinne and give Chet Pickard the #1 position....sounds like something the Preds would do...Yup!
What an asinine post. Zanon is a role playing third pairing defenseman, and letting him walk in favor of a more cost-effective veteran, or a younger, more talented prospect who could benefit from NHL ice time will only help the organization.

Furthermore, Ellis isn't a free agent, so we won't be "letting him walk." If he leaves, it is the result of a trade that, I would suspect, gives us an offensive threat in return. Plus the entire organization has been high on Rinne since the end of the lockout, so they're not going to up and trade him now that he's finally taking up the mantle of starting goaltender as the club has been waiting for him to do.

I can't help but think that you've wandered into the wrong forum. Perhaps you meant to go to Tampa Bay or Toronto?

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 05-21-2009 at 09:27 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 10:49 PM
predfan24

Quote:

I hate you.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 01:49 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
I will say losing Zanon isnt the end of the world, but he is our most physical defenseman behind Weber, tends to clear the puck better than most other defenseman, and is a pretty good communicator, not to mention the obvious things.

If Zanon can be locked up for a long term deal for cheap I would not be opposed to signing him to it. He is a proven player and I would want our defense as much like last year as possible (minus VK and Devries). Two million a year is fair for Zanon but I would not be terribly upset at 2.5 and around there. As long as he is signed and there is no NTC then years wont matter.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 07:35 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
It's pretty clear from seeing your posts around other boards that you've got a dan ellis agenda.

Old
05-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Suter is more physical than Zanon, but I would put Zanon ahead of Hamhuis in over all physicality. Suter is pretty nasty along the boards, he just doesn't throw open ice hits.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Jarnberg

I'm for bringing back Zanon if the money is right, assuming the organization doesn't have faith in other defensive prospects, assuming Sulzer takes de Vries spot next season.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
I'd rather keep Zanon, but I bet he's going to ask for more then he can get.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 08:42 AM
skipper49

Calm down people. This doesn't require an agenda to figure out at all.
If you think for one minute that Rinne won't be pressured by the presence of Chet Pickard down in Milwaukee you are just naive. Preds management will be just drooling over the opportunity to show everyone that they know how to draft a first round tender and then Rinne will be getting the hook. I'd put money on it.
As for Zanon, the only reason management will let him go is because of money. Prospects are cheaper but remember that you get what you pay for. Don't expect to make the playoffs with an AHL team representing you in the NHL.

skipper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Preds management will be just drooling over the opportunity to show everyone that they know how to draft a first round tender and then Rinne will be getting the hook. I'd put money on it.
Just like they were itching to trade Vokoun to display to the world Brian Finley?

So this is all about proving something? And here I was thinking the team was in the business of winning hockey games.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 12:17 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
...If you think for one minute that Rinne won't be pressured by the presence of Chet Pickard down in Milwaukee you are just naive. Preds management will be just drooling over the opportunity to show everyone that they know how to draft a first round tender and then Rinne will be getting the hook. I'd put money on it.
As for Zanon, the only reason management will let him go is because of money...
I have two problems with what you said here:
1) Goalies and d-men should not be rushed 95% of the time. Period. Ask anyone who knows player development and that is what they will tell you. If anything the Preds believe the road to the big league is thru their farm team MORE than most teams in their tier of the league. Rinne has shown from the cage this year he can do his part good enough. He is under contract for next year (I think). No reason for him to look over his shoulder-- he is a goaltending bargain if he can play near the way he did once he took the reigns. Preds wil go with him and buy time for Pickard to be as solid as possible and learn everything the AHL can teach him.
2) If Zanon plays the greed card, Preds will let him walk and look for a vet to fill one slot most likely. You need a mix of vets and young talent on the blue line to really excel and mentor the younger guys. I expect to see Sulzer back there for sure. I don't see Franson as ready. that would leave a gap.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 03:04 PM
OpenWheel

They're not dying to get Pickard in over Rinne to "prove" something. Come on... I'm sure they're pleased with Rinne and would like him to get even better and be a star goalie.

I think Zanon is a pretty fair player. I thought, though, that Coach Trotz gave him a bit too much ice time.

I wouldn't mind if he walks and we have to go with youth and less experience. But the trouble will be if we bring in a vet who's not as good as Zanon, because he'll get "Trotz-time" anyway. All veterans seem to get Trotz-time even if they aren't too good.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 11:06 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I wouldn't ask DeVries about "Trotz-time" he lost his spot to Zanon. Really who deserved the top four minutes that Zanon was playing?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
I wouldn't ask DeVries about "Trotz-time" he lost his spot to Zanon. Really who deserved the top four minutes that Zanon was playing?
Alexander Sulzer

Old
05-24-2009, 01:58 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
Alexander Sulzer

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 07:39 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
Alexander Sulzer
You do realize that you totally missed the point....right?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote