HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Over Paid Defensemen?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-19-2009, 09:45 PM
  #26
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
mccabe 15 goals and 24 assists for 39 points in 69 games and was florida's best d-man. thats right not bowmeester

finger had a career year points wise and only played 66 games and blocks shots like its nobodies business but his own,and was a -7 because it was a reflection of the team as a whole. so what are you talking about.

kubina is not over paid either on any team.

If any of these guys are over paid it is strictly a personal opinion.

league wise they are not. simple as that.
I agree with you on everything here. Finger is maybe a touch overpaid. I think Fletch could have gotten him for a little less. In regards to being overpaid he had one less point then Redden. So i'm not at all worried about his contract.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 10:08 PM
  #27
ABud
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
I think they just HAD to overpay guys to come here. Finger might be slightly overpaid but not by much.

ABud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 11:46 PM
  #28
nuck
Flatfoot
 
nuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Greenland
Posts: 5,284
vCash: 500
Jovo and Redden are the two worst contracts in the league I think. Substantially less bang for the buck than McCabe or Kubina. $5 million just isn't that much, especially when there are guys making $4 million who are doing absolutely nothing. And then there are guys who are worth it one year and not the next.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 01:22 AM
  #29
teamsundin
 
teamsundin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Poland
Posts: 618
vCash: 500
If you think Bryan McCabe is overpaid maybe you should take a look at Brian Campbell. That guy is brutal and gets paid a fortune.

teamsundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 09:55 AM
  #30
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
That's why I advocated drafting Cowen this year. Kaberle won't be on a sweet year deal when we really compete and he'll ask for 6 million which I tell him to get lost.
I agree. Cowan/Schenn makes so much sense in respect to building out. At the #7 pick if we stand pat, Cowan just might be the best player available also if he is still there.

I wouldn't bet a wooden nickle saying he would be though.

After to much thinking about who we take though i'm definately at Cowan also.

I have a hunch passing over Schroeder is going to come back and bite some teams though.

Curious, who if Cowan is gone? I would be hard pressed to not consider Schroeder or Rumblad(sp?).

I know they are not the common choice here

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 10:10 AM
  #31
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I agree with you on everything here. Finger is maybe a touch overpaid. I think Fletch could have gotten him for a little less. In regards to being overpaid he had one less point then Redden. So i'm not at all worried about his contract.
Finger peaked points wise possibly,but thats ok because if he can continue producing 25-30 points i will be content with that, because i think he will be taking the bull by the horns in terms of leadership as he continues on with the team.

I think he will continue to get better defensively also. His contract if i was paying it would not concern one bit actually. His simple game style usually translates well if Wilson partners him the right partner imo.

Oreskovich/Finger might be something for teams to chew on. That just a for instance though that i would like to see occasionaly.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 08:42 PM
  #32
Reydin
Registered User
 
Reydin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
You guys need to clear some d-man salary soon. Schenn will be due a big contract in the near future and you can't have 18-$20m tied up in 4 d-men.
If Schenn gets paid more than 3.5M after his entry level contract, then he'll be overpaid.

Reydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 08:51 PM
  #33
Porn*
Registered User
 
Porn*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In your nightmares
Country: Israel
Posts: 34,870
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Porn*
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
mccabe 15 goals and 24 assists for 39 points in 69 games and was florida's best d-man. thats right not bowmeester

finger had a career year points wise and only played 66 games and blocks shots like its nobodies business but his own,and was a -7 because it was a reflection of the team as a whole. so what are you talking about.

kubina is not over paid either on any team.

If any of these guys are over paid it is strictly a personal opinion.

league wise they are not. simple as that.
SOLD! to the highest bidder... i couldn't agreee more.

Porn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
  #34
Hurt
Moderator
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,787
vCash: 500
Finger isn't as bad as people say. He's a defensive defenseman, he blocked shots, he tried to take the body. He's not a bad player. Kubina is worth 5 mil in my opinion.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 07:48 AM
  #35
mydnyte
Registered User
 
mydnyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
I agree. Cowan/Schenn makes so much sense in respect to building out. At the #7 pick if we stand pat, Cowan just might be the best player available also if he is still there.

I wouldn't bet a wooden nickle saying he would be though.

After to much thinking about who we take though i'm definately at Cowan also.

I have a hunch passing over Schroeder is going to come back and bite some teams though.

Curious, who if Cowan is gone? I would be hard pressed to not consider Schroeder or Rumblad(sp?).

I know they are not the common choice here
if Cowen is gone, that means one of MSP/Kane/Schenn is available, and they are all head and shoulders ahead of Schroeder (no pun intended, but, they are at least a head taller )

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 08:09 AM
  #36
Quakmybush
Registered User
 
Quakmybush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,504
vCash: 500
Finger is not overpayed. The rumour is that there was 20 teams bidding for him, and the Leafs wanted him, I see no problem with paying him what we give him.

Quakmybush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 09:08 AM
  #37
ACC1224
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 32,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakmybush View Post
Finger is not overpayed. The rumour is that there was 20 teams bidding for him, and the Leafs wanted him, I see no problem with paying him what we give him.
Sounds like a rumour our Dysfunctional Grampa GM at the time may have started as part of his c.y.a. strategy.

Even Finger admitted he couldn't believe how much he got paid.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 09:30 AM
  #38
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Sounds like a rumour our Dysfunctional Grampa GM at the time may have started as part of his c.y.a. strategy.

Even Finger admitted he couldn't believe how much he got paid.
To me it is easy to argue Finger is overpaid based on the fact that Sauer, who actually did all the things Fletcher claimed Finger did when trying to justify his contract, signed for about half of what Finger did.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 09:36 AM
  #39
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 59,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
To me it is easy to argue Finger is overpaid based on the fact that Sauer, who actually did all the things Fletcher claimed Finger did when trying to justify his contract, signed for about half of what Finger did.
The old man went overboard to try and leave a mark.

Well, he certainly did that with bungling the Frogren deal, and overpaying for a defender who was scratched for quite a few playoff games in Colorado.

OTOH, Schenn may become a #2 defender.

__________________
http://kuklaskorner.com/index.php/ps...e_corsi_issues

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 06:51 PM
  #40
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 28,856
vCash: 500
Finger's a defensive d-man who has holes in his defensive game. He hits and block shots, but he usually sacrafices positioning to do so and it causes him to lose his man and get beat back to the net. For those reasons, I think he gets paid more than he should, but I'm confident he'd have gotten a similar caphit elsewhere.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.