HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Who are the top Rush/Puck moving D men available in the 09 Draft?

Old
05-21-2009, 03:48 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Who are the top Rush/Puck moving D men available in the 09 Draft?

I don't know much about the the available prospects outside the highly discussed Top 10....
so i figure i would ask those in the know....

With so much emphasis put on acquiring a puck moving Dman by some teams to help with transition offense, who are the top available D men available capable of rushing the puck effectively....

who are the Dmen available molded (offensively) like:
Boyle, Campbell, Neidermeyer, Rafalski, Lidstrom, Green, Keith
-obviously not necessarily going to be the next "---", but plays like or tries to play like "---"... i know i mentioned some elite level talant that you can't expect any prospect to live up to... but you get my point right.

Basically ignoring the defensive end... these Dmen can skate, headman the puck, and pass extremely effectively adding a dynamic to their team's offense that is extremely dangerous....

So i ask those that know... who are the top 5 or 6 (or more if you got em) rush/puck moving Dmen available in this 09 draft?

Thanks in advance.

(I know a rush Dman and a puck moving Dman are different attributes, but i was hoping to get an idea who has both qualities)

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Sharp Skates

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
I don't know much about the the available prospects outside the highly discussed Top 10....
so i figure i would ask those in the know....

With so much emphasis put on acquiring a puck moving Dman by some teams to help with transition offense, who are the top available D men available capable of rushing the puck effectively....

who are the Dmen available molded (offensively) like:
Boyle, Campbell, Neidermeyer, Rafalski, Lidstrom, Green, Keith
-obviously not necessarily going to be the next "---", but plays like or tries to play like "---"... i know i mentioned some elite level talant that you can't expect any prospect to live up to... but you get my point right.

Basically ignoring the defensive end... these Dmen can skate, headman the puck, and pass extremely effectively adding a dynamic to their team's offense that is extremely dangerous....

So i ask those that know... who are the top 5 or 6 (or more if you got em) rush/puck moving Dmen available in this 09 draft?

Thanks in advance.

(I know a rush Dman and a puck moving Dman are different attributes, but i was hoping to get an idea who has both qualities)
Kulikov is probably the best PMD I guess... His play is a bit like Markov's, but his skating isn't as good and his defensive play isn't either. I don't know about the rest though. I look at goalies .

Sharp Skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 03:54 PM
CAPiTA

vCash: 500
Hedman, obviously.
Kulikov
Ellis
Moore
Ekman-Larsson

CAPiTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 03:55 PM
FlamesWillRiseAgain

Sometimes I think Tyson Barrie looks really good, other times he looks pretty terrible though.

If he can stay consistent I think he'll be really good.

FlamesWillRiseAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Tyson Barrie and Stefan Elliott both of the WHL are very strong puck movers. Both are one-way guys, though...neither are great in their own end. Both small, too.

For my money, if I wanted a puck mover (and I wasn't drafting in the top 2), I would go after Ryan Ellis.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 04:21 PM
drw08

David Rundblad and Calvin DeHaan.

drw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 04:33 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
Tyson Barrie and Stefan Elliott both of the WHL are very strong puck movers. Both are one-way guys, though...neither are great in their own end. Both small, too.

For my money, if I wanted a puck mover (and I wasn't drafting in the top 2), I would go after Ryan Ellis.
does his size concern you at the NHL Level? Or are his offensive abilities that good?

I always think of Patrick Coulombe when i see Ellis.... obviously there's no actual comparison outside of size.....

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 04:47 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drw08 View Post
David Rundblad and Calvin DeHaan.
My thoughts exactly.

Rundblad is often compared to Mike Green. He has to focus more on his play in his own zone, but his offensive abilities are his trademark and he definately has a knack for not only joining the rush but leading it, as well as being the late guy coming in to finish off plays.

De Haan, is more of a patient guy, who sees the ice extremely well. He is able to dissect situations on the ice which allow him to a) make an extremely good breakout pass b) circle back and patiently wait for a safe play, or c) use his excellent skating ability to rush the puck himself. His decision making to me is his trademark, and thats is what will allow him to excel at the next level.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 04:54 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
does his size concern you at the NHL Level? Or are his offensive abilities that good?

I always think of Patrick Coulombe when i see Ellis.... obviously there's no actual comparison outside of size.....
Ellis is already bigger than Coulombe is now, let alone when Coulombe was in junior. He's also shown miles more offensively.

There's no reason he won't be Lubomir Visnovsky/Brian Campbell sized by the time he's established himself in the NHL.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Bjindaho

Despres is pretty good at moving the puck

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 05:17 PM
pwallll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPiTA View Post
Hedman, obviously.
Kulikov
Ellis
Moore
Ekman-Larsson
Those are all great choices. This should be a very good draft!

pwallll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 05:23 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

you know after seeing despres and Kulikov play i like Kulikov i just have to say Despres impresses me alot more. I mean your best are probably Hedman, Larsson, Runblade, Ellis, I think Stefan Elliot is up there as well but his defensive coverage is bad, Kulikov and i think despres is the dark horse here with more skill than Kulikov.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 1355
I am rather fond of Ryan Ellis. Pretty sure he will excel in the NHL. He's a good puck moving defenceman too.

Ovechking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Konk

John Moore is a great skater and puck rusher. That's his claim to fame.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 07:22 PM
BritSabre
Patrick's Eye Shadow

There is a glut of these guys in this draft. '09 is the year of the puck moving dman/PP QB.

BritSabre is online now   Reply With Quote