HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto - Boston

Old
05-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

vCash: 500
Toronto - Boston

Looking clearly at Boston's salary cap troubles and the cap likely going down, I've yet again come up and am trying to propose a trade that'll hopefully make sense for both sides.

The object for the Bruins will be to clear some salary, however still maintain depth on their roster.

Patrice Bergeron

Matt Stajan
2nd '09 (Carolina)

Freshly coming off a season where he totalled 55 points and raising his defensive game up a notch, Matt Stajan could be a fit on Boston's 2nd or 3rd line. He's a versatile, do-it-all kind of forward who is signed to a cheap, fair contract.

Patrice Bergeron is talented, but Boston's depth on C and W is too much for them to afford his salary. Their savings could lead them to extend Krejci, who seems to be more valuable at this point. They also need depth on defense so the saved cash could be spent on their area of need.

I thought the extention of Thomas wasnt warranted, especially considering the situation with their cap space, and a blue-chip goaltender waiting to get called up.

05-21-2009, 11:31 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Boston hangs up the phone on this one my friend.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 11:36 PM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Given Boston's financial concerns and Bergeron's injury history, I think it's likely one of the better offers they would get. Young third-liner and the ever popular second-round pick.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Boston hangs up the phone on this one my friend.
I doubt that, my friend. The reason is their cap situation. Who else can they unload ? Sturm ? Sure, but even then they'll need to clear more salary.

With the talent they have, and again, I'm impressed with their talent, they need to make this team a well rounded one. Their offense will be fine without Bergeron and Sturm. Their defense needs more attention, IMO.

Its just a concept.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 11:49 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsabil View Post
I doubt that, my friend. The reason is their cap situation. Who else can they unload ? Sturm ? Sure, but even then they'll need to clear more salary.

With the talent they have, and again, I'm impressed with their talent, they need to make this team a well rounded one. Their offense will be fine without Bergeron and Sturm. Their defense needs more attention, IMO.

Its just a concept.
It's a bad offer, regardless of salary. I know everyone here wants to cite his concussion as an excuse for why he could be had for nothing, but this offer is crap. I mean, come on, you're not even going to throw in Toronto's own 2nd? Even with that, it's not even close, but it's so far biased in Toronto's favor it's not even funny.

WreckItRask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

As much as I usually like your proposals, I'm sure Boston could get a better offer somewhere (Maybe I'm underrating Stajan?).

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 12:05 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

They could, definitely.

Toronto can probably include White in a deal for Bergeron, as well. Its complicated, with Bergeron's situation.

Next year will be crucial in his development. He can bounce back and have a very good season, but is he as effective on the Wing as he is at C, and if not, then does he come back as Boston's third line C ?

That will hurt his point totals, and in return hurt his value, IMO.

Old
05-22-2009, 12:09 AM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Concussions are serious injuries, and he seems to be struggling to keep healthy.

I'd steer clear of Bergeron entirely, and package those assets to land someone who isn't as much of a question mark.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 01:52 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I don't think it's such an unreasonable offer. But while Bergeron would help the Leafs, I don't know if that's the kind of pressure he needs when he's trying to put his career back on track.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I don't think it's such an unreasonable offer. But while Bergeron would help the Leafs, I don't know if that's the kind of pressure he needs when he's trying to put his career back on track.
Oh, Ron Wilson will take care of that.

Old
05-22-2009, 09:40 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Regardless of if the value is fair, I'd love to see Bergeron in Toronto. He's not exactly a franchise player anymore (but could potentially return to that status), but IMO he's still a #1 center.

I really think Burke will unload Grabovski eventually, so Bergeron could be a pretty good replacement/improvement.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:46 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
It's a bad offer, regardless of salary. I know everyone here wants to cite his concussion as an excuse for why he could be had for nothing, but this offer is crap. I mean, come on, you're not even going to throw in Toronto's own 2nd? Even with that, it's not even close, but it's so far biased in Toronto's favor it's not even funny.
We'd love to offer it, as it belongs to NYI this year.

As far as the offer is concerned, I'm borderline on it. Concussions are a very serious concern for players these days. Matt is still a good 2nd line center, great 3rd line center. The 2nd is likely to be a good prospect in this years draft. If Bergeron can come around, then it is considerable underpayment, but the risk is DEFINITLY there for this to be career threatening. I highly doubt BOS gets a considerably better offer. Maybe a higher 2nd, or slightly/argueably better player, but not much more, especially on these boards.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

I'd stay clear of Bergeron he's concussive (and those things don't just walk themselves off see: MVR).

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:52 AM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by awright1393 View Post
We'd love to offer it, as it belongs to NYI this year.
OOOHHHH SLAM! (NYI have Boston's 2nd too this year)
Quote:
Originally Posted by awright1393 View Post
As far as the offer is concerned, I'm borderline on it. Concussions are a very serious concern for players these days. Matt is still a good 2nd line center, great 3rd line center. The 2nd is likely to be a good prospect in this years draft. If Bergeron can come around, then it is considerable underpayment, but the risk is DEFINITLY there for this to be career threatening. I highly doubt BOS gets a considerably better offer. Maybe a higher 2nd, or slightly/argueably better player, but not much more, especially on these boards.
People that have watched Boston games this year will tell you he has already come around. He looked very very good for the final 20 games of the year. He should return to his 70+ point self as soon as he's plugged back into a top-6 role and he stops manning the point on the PP.

I personally would say no to this deal. If Patrice is dealt it needs to be out of the eastern conference (much less the Northeast Division). IMO, if he's traded Boston will not get full value, and whatever team gets him will be considerably better, so why trade him within the division?

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:53 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4thurt View Post
I'd stay clear of Bergeron he's concussive (and those things don't just walk themselves off see: MVR).
a lot of concussed players these days aren't allowed to roll the dice and play anymore. I'd like to know the odds of players returning after very serious concussions (more than say 40 games). We know Kaberle returned after a considerable concussion, but he only missed a few weeks if I'm correct. Some players can get knocked out and not miss a shift; Paul Kariya, Darcy Tucker, Jeremy Roenick, while others never fully recover, particularly long term injuries.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:17 AM
bb_fan

do we really need another trade offer for bergeron becuase 'Boston has so much cap trouble' and the always infamous crap offers becuase he is 'one hit away' from ending his carreer and he 'may never get back to form'

if you want him, pay for him, if he's such a risk and still such a bad player who hasnt 'returned to form', why the interest?

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:43 AM
C77

If the Bruins determined that they wanted to trade Bergeron for cap room then this deal would probably be a good one for the 09-10 season. It would save the Bruins $3 million next year which is no small potatoes and we'd be getting a second round pick which we don't have this year.

I'm well aware that Stajan is a useful player. Our color commentator (Andy Brickley) thinks well of him. Brickley basically said that Stajan is a good player but if your team is counting on him to be one of its bigger scoring threats then your team is probably in trouble. For the Bruins that wouldn't be the case because we'd have Krejci and Savard if Bergeron is moved.

Of course the major problem is that we have no idea what Chiarelli thinks of Stajan and he will be an unrestricted free agent after the 09-10 season. Chiarelli (like Burke) wants to make his team "tougher to play against" and Stajan is like Kessel's size. He's probably worth somewhere around $ 2.5 - 3.0 million if I had to guess. Another smaller problem is that Stajan would be coming into Boston as "the guy we traded Bergeron for."

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Rommel

Quote:

Patrice Bergeron

Matt Stajan
2nd '09 (Carolina)

Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommelsalviano View Post

Lets laugh together ! Whats funny, though ?

Old
05-22-2009, 10:51 AM
C77

Quote:

Lets laugh together ! Whats funny, though ?

It's not a bad offer. Much better than most I've seen here.

Well that is IF the Bruins make the determination to move Bergeron.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 11:02 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

How about Bergeron + 3rd for Schenn?

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 11:05 AM
grabo84

It's a well thought out offer, and pretty fair, assuming the Bruins want to lose some salary by dealing Bergeron. Stajan's a fairly sharp player, a bit streaky offensively, but that wouldn't be as big a problem for Boston. I'm less worried about Bergeron's health than I was at the trade deadline, and I'd be willing to take a chance on him rediscovering his offensive touch. If there's any team that an afford to take a big contract in hopes it'll work out, its Toronto.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
How about Bergeron + 3rd for Schenn?
How about hell no?

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 11:55 AM
BadBruins

I certainly wouldn't laugh at the offer, but I don't think it's something the Bruins would be all that interested in. I think the plan is to have Krejci and Bergeron manning the 1-2 center spots when Savard walks as a UFA next season.

It's more likely a winger is moved out and Recchi is brought back for another year on the cheap.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 12:00 PM
javier

No team in the NHL should want to touch Bergeron with a ten foot pole with his injury history right now. The best case scenario for him is to stay with the Bruins, play a full season healthy (if he could actually do that) and then see what the market is for him. If you're a GM and give up a good package for Bergeron and he promptly gets hurt again, then you look like a fool.

javier is offline   Reply With Quote