HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vinny to LA Pretty Much Done Deal???

Old
05-22-2009, 09:23 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takabru View Post
You are correct that Al has been there for much longer. I do think it is his demeanor that peeps don't like. He has been right some of the time. The only problem I have with him is he tends to start fires then washes his hands of them. I guess a lot of rumor mongers do that though. It just gets to people more with him for some reason.

It is funny to watch him and Milbury though. I suspect one day Milbury is going to clock him, then that will be the end of that.
From what I understand Milbury, Strachan, Cherry, Maclean, etc all get along pretty well off camera.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:25 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Wasn't there someone else (Larry Brooks? or possibly one of the ESPN guys) who had report that Vinny to MTL was also a done deal?

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
Wasn't there someone else (Larry Brooks? or possibly one of the ESPN guys) who had report that Vinny to MTL was also a done deal?
It was almost done until Lawton opened his stupid mouth.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:30 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

It's Al Strachan, which means I'll believe it when pigs fly and Radiohead cuts a good record.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:33 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vagabond View Post
well

I will play along

Jack Johnson, first rounder this year and Dustin Brown for Vinny?
Might as well give them Kopitar and Frolov, no?
I hope this was a joke

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I can see a deal happening with LA. Montreal doesn't have a ton of assets that TB can really use. At least without giving up too much from their own strengths.

Lawton shouldn't worry about where Vinny goes, should he make a trade. It'll be MTL's or NYR's fault if they can't pony up enough.

As for a trade happening at all, honestly I don't know. I've been leaning towards it's going to happen.

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:45 AM
copperandblue

Personally I think Strachan is a waste of skin but here is something to consider.

In Edmonton we learned first hand that he is very plugged in with certain sources. Very plugged in.

His best source is Newport Sports Agency (or something like that), the agency that Pat Morris, Don Meehan and the such operate.

He is so plugged in that the agency has actually taken him on golf trips and things like that.

Now for some background for confirmation, Newport is the agency that represents Chris Pronger and Strachan was the guy that broke the story that Pronger wanted out of Edmonton. He broke the story even before Pronger's agent formally notified the Oilers. You guys can do the math on that one.

Now in LA's case, one of the guys that has often been rumoured to be on the block is Frolov. Frolov's agent is, you guessed it, Don Meehan of Newport.

I haven't been able to find a complete client list for Newport but Frolov is one name that does fit the puzzle.

Edit: LA players that use Newport are; Frolov, Stoll, Greene, Quincy, Doughty

I guess the bottom line is that although Strachan is a turd in general, if there is a trade that is close to being finalized and that trade ends up including players from Newport's stable (obviously this is the part that would require a leap of faith in believing) then it is worth paying attention to what Strachan is saying.

Last edited by copperandblue: 05-22-2009 at 09:56 AM.
copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I can see a deal happening with LA. Montreal doesn't have a ton of assets that TB can really use. At least without giving up too much from their own strengths.

Lawton shouldn't worry about where Vinny goes, should he make a trade. It'll be MTL's or NYR's fault if they can't pony up enough.

As for a trade happening at all, honestly I don't know. I've been leaning towards it's going to happen.
Depends.

They gave him a NTC in his 11-year contract. Should they ship him wherever THEY want (without asking), then they are just plain unprofessional.

Em Ancien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:56 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Other than MTL and LA, I think EDM are another team that could take a run at Vinny if he's on the market. They have a new owner who wants to make a big splash (they tried to sign Hossa and Jagr last summer), plus a new GM who wants to change the culture of the team and make the playoffs, and a ton of young talent in the system and on the ice.

But the only way I see them able to acquire Vinny is if Horcoff goes the other way.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:15 AM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLightningFan View Post
Vinny has had a done deal with a lot of teams now... I'll believe one of them when it happens.
Hasn't Vinny to Montreal been a done deal for 5 or 6 years now.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:16 AM
FrankMTL

[QUOTE=Redlighting;19652399]Other than MTL and LA, I think EDM are another team that could take a run at Vinny if he's on the market. They have a new owner who wants to make a big splash (they tried to sign Hossa and Jagr last summer), plus a new GM who wants to change the culture of the team and make the playoffs, and a ton of young talent in the system and on the ice.

But the only way I see them able to acquire Vinny is if Horcoff goes the other way.[/QUOTE]

Exactly..and why would Tampa want Horcoff?? He's way overpaid and signed till 2015-2016. There's no way Tampa will touch that contract with a 10 foor pole. If they're going to pay somebody for that long, especially over-pay, they might as well just hang onto Vinny.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:20 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

If we get Vinny, Preissing is going the other way with JJ, that will help with Vinny's gross contract. Plus Boyle an Moller could go. I wouldn't mind seeing Stoll go, but Frolov stays.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:23 AM
SpezDispenser

Strachan isn't reliable at all. If this trade goes down though, TB would be crazy not to demand Dustin Brown as well as the first rounder from this year and possibly another piece.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:24 AM
SilverSeven

I dont know why the Bolts wouldnt want to trade Vinny. The guy has had 2 great seasons mixed in with 8 mediocre seasons.

The 2 seasons previous to this one were his off years, not this year. He is probably the most overated player in hockey. Take advantage of that.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:27 AM
JosieB7188

i dont understand why L.A would trade all these young highly potential guys for vinny. when at center they already have kopitar who is only gonna improve each year. doesnt make sense to me that L.A trades for vinny. if they were going to make a trade i could see them going after a goalie. I think frolov and jack johnson package could easily get a decent return but going after someone like vinny is the wrong idea.

JosieB7188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:28 AM
BattleGuy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
If we get Vinny, Preissing is going the other way with JJ, that will help with Vinny's gross contract. Plus Boyle an Moller could go. I wouldn't mind seeing Stoll go, but Frolov stays.
Pretty sure LA will give up any player on their Roster for Vinny. The bolts don't need to accept any of LA's salary dumping.

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieB7188 View Post
i dont understand why L.A would trade all these young highly potential guys for vinny. when at center they already have kopitar who is only gonna improve each year. doesnt make sense to me that L.A trades for vinny. if they were going to make a trade i could see them going after a goalie. I think frolov and jack johnson package could easily get a decent return but going after someone like vinny is the wrong idea.
Just look at the two teams winning their series in the playoffs. Pittsburgh has Crosby/Malkin and Detroit has Datsyuk/Zetterberg. Having a 1-2 punch down the middle would probably make the Kings a playoff team for the first time in 7 years.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Rommel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieB7188 View Post
[2]

Correct.

Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post
Pretty sure LA will give up any player on their Roster for Vinny. The bolts don't need to accept any of LA's salary dumping.
Sure buddy.

....because who cares if Vinny, at age 35, will put up 50 points a year for another 4/5/6 seasons at $7.5M cap hit. Nobody !

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:38 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vagabond View Post
I think the deal would be built around JJ and the first. But I think the Bolts would turn down Stoll and Frolov becuase Frolov has one year left and then is a UFA looking for a huge pay raise to around 5 to 7 million a year and I don't think the bolts want to get into a bidding war.

I like Stoll--but he does not brng the all around game tha Bolts need and like I said--I think the Bolts would rather have Brown then either Stoll or Frolov. Brown is signed for 4 more seasons at a good rate
So the Bolts dont need a guy who kills penalties, plays the point on the PP, good in the face off department and plays physical?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Just look at the two teams winning their series in the playoffs. Pittsburgh has Crosby/Malkin and Detroit has Datsyuk/Zetterberg. Having a 1-2 punch down the middle would probably make the Kings a playoff team for the first time in 7 years.
Not to mention the TB 1-2 punch of Vinny and Richards up the middle when they won the cup.

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Rommel

Vinny's contract is ridiculous.

09/10- 10 mi
10/11- 10 mi
11/12- 10 mi
12/13- 10 mi
13/14- 10 mi
14/15- 10 mi
15/16- 10 mi
16/17- 8.5 mi
17/18- 4 mi
18/19- 1.5 mi
19/20-1 m
20/21- UFA

Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:45 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
Not to mention the TB 1-2 punch of Vinny and Richards up the middle when they won the cup.
And some guy that goes by the name of Khabibulin and cant forget the little guy.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by section8 View Post
That's the point, who is going to take that contract, not many teams can. We end up taking THAT contract Tampa will be taking back some of ours. I think we can fleece Tampa here, they need to get rid of that contract. We would like to get rid of Preissing's. We take yours, you take ours which helps off set Vinny's and we add a few prospects plus JJ and next years first this could easily be done. Hell we'd be doing them a favor...

Last edited by saintsnsoldiers: 05-22-2009 at 10:50 AM.
saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
i think it would behoove the Kings, should they trade for Lecavalier, to retain Frolov rather than end up having to go fishing for another Left Wing capable of giving you 35-goals. they are weak on the left side already and re-signing Alex would probably come in at a better number once you begin to look at two $7 million dollar centerman and a young defenseman who is about to get his rather quickly.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote