HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Youtube yourself.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2009, 02:26 AM
  #26
fourofakindfowl
Registered User
 
fourofakindfowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 809
vCash: 500
That guy really should have passed to you at 0:26 of the first video.

fourofakindfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2009, 12:53 PM
  #27
Pog Form
Registered User
 
Pog Form's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourofakindfowl View Post
That guy really should have passed to you at 0:26 of the first video.
Big time.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 11:52 AM
  #28
Kunitziwa
Registered User
 
Kunitziwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,995
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
00:46 into the first video...SNIPER!

i dont have any videos of mysel do have some pics though :/. the on ice videos were a good idea.




Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 04:55 PM
  #29
Escapades
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
This is a video a made about a year ago of me doing some ball hockey trick shots in my basement. The crap video quality is because Youtube sucks the soul out of videos when you upload them. I'll see if I can get some footage of me playing in an actual game sometime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI3lhl-dCZU

Escapades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 08:09 PM
  #30
WpgBoy84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
how do you guys resurface your backyard rinks when it gets chewed up?

WpgBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 08:39 PM
  #31
daveskirtun
:o)
 
daveskirtun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,291
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapades View Post
This is a video a made about a year ago of me doing some ball hockey trick shots in my basement. The crap video quality is because Youtube sucks the soul out of videos when you upload them. I'll see if I can get some footage of me playing in an actual game sometime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI3lhl-dCZU
Some of those are hilarious. Nice vid.

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 09:31 PM
  #32
WithOutPaperss
Registered User
 
WithOutPaperss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgBoy84 View Post
how do you guys resurface your backyard rinks when it gets chewed up?
Water it near night time?

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2009, 09:43 PM
  #33
Huggy Bear*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Stuck on the GSP
Country: United States
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Huggy Bear*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangelo37 View Post
Water it near night time?
Or http://www.zamboni.com/machines/model100.html

Huggy Bear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2009, 08:35 AM
  #34
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgBoy84 View Post
how do you guys resurface your backyard rinks when it gets chewed up?
You flood it with hot water - let it freeze for a couple of hours (depending on the temps an hour might do).

Then flood it a few times late at night with hot water again, as the temps are lowest when the sun goes down.

This method always gave me a sheet of glass to skate on.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 08:54 PM
  #35
Canadian91
Registered User
 
Canadian91's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggy Bear View Post

that's awesome

Canadian91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2009, 09:03 PM
  #36
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
You flood it with hot water - let it freeze for a couple of hours (depending on the temps an hour might do).

Then flood it a few times late at night with hot water again, as the temps are lowest when the sun goes down.

This method always gave me a sheet of glass to skate on.
I would clean the loose snow off of mine with a 4 foot wide scraper shovel thingie and then use a stiff bristle push broom to sweep the ice clean. After that I would make a fine cone spray from a graden hose and spray a thin coat to resurface it.

the whole ice surface was made to begin with with thin coat of getting it just wet enough to get it wet and not overflooding it. Overflooding sometimes causes thin air pocket white air bubbles depending on the weather.

i found that thin coats and more time patieintly spraying thin coats worked best for things like not being chippy and brittle. I didn't get big ice chunks coming loose while playing or thermal cracks that way.

i wish I had a Zamboni like the one posted above, cripes that would rule it!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 09:00 AM
  #37
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I would clean the loose snow off of mine with a 4 foot wide scraper shovel thingie and then use a stiff bristle push broom to sweep the ice clean. After that I would make a fine cone spray from a graden hose and spray a thin coat to resurface it.

the whole ice surface was made to begin with with thin coat of getting it just wet enough to get it wet and not overflooding it. Overflooding sometimes causes thin air pocket white air bubbles depending on the weather.

i found that thin coats and more time patieintly spraying thin coats worked best for things like not being chippy and brittle. I didn't get big ice chunks coming loose while playing or thermal cracks that way.

i wish I had a Zamboni like the one posted above, cripes that would rule it!
Depending on how much we had played, I would shovel the rink with a normal shovel. Then hit it with the hot water. I used the Rink Rake for awhile, but it got annoying.

So mainly I just used a regular hose and moved in a sweeping motion. As long as the weather cooperated, I always had a sheet of glass. My biggest problem was ice bumps... I would find 2-3 on average and just melt them with a propane torch.

Since my g/f is from Canada, I live up here in the Winter and play on all of the free rinks. So I haven't made my own rink in about 4 years or so... they are a lot of work, but well worth it.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2009, 02:53 PM
  #38
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
Depending on how much we had played, I would shovel the rink with a normal shovel. Then hit it with the hot water. I used the Rink Rake for awhile, but it got annoying.

So mainly I just used a regular hose and moved in a sweeping motion. As long as the weather cooperated, I always had a sheet of glass. My biggest problem was ice bumps... I would find 2-3 on average and just melt them with a propane torch.

Since my g/f is from Canada, I live up here in the Winter and play on all of the free rinks. So I haven't made my own rink in about 4 years or so... they are a lot of work, but well worth it.
yeah no kidding they really are a lot of work ....it seems sometyimes more time is spent grooming it instead of playing on it. Weather is brutally frustrating sometimes.

I live in Maine in the southern part about 35 miles from the ocean and we get cold fronts from Canada which rule and then warm fronts from the southern parts of the US where we can get 2 days of rain with temps in the 50s F.

Most of last winter was highs of 21 F and lows overnight of 10 F to -10 F

I noticed the best time to flood using a fine spray cone of water from a garden hose was at about 7 degrees F freezing on contact almost.

I never ever flooded the rink to have a new glass smooth surface because the ice would be chippy and/or get thermal cracks when the temps changed causing big cracks.

i went with the thin resurfacing approach like a Zamboni does, in fact if you notice it the Zamboni leaves the old skate ruts there but has smoothed them over. The ice is never like glass after a Zamboni has finished resurfacing a rink.

A place across town from me years ago had 2 outdoor rinks, one for hockey and one for just skating, that they would drive the Zamboni from next door used in the indoor ice rink to do the ice on the outdoor rinks.

it did a fantastic job on outdoor ice and the ice never had bad spot, thin white ice covered air pockets or chippy ice. Over time it had the same qualities as indoor ice.

They no longer do that but it was nice when they did a few years ago.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:44 AM
  #39
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
yeah no kidding they really are a lot of work ....it seems sometyimes more time is spent grooming it instead of playing on it. Weather is brutally frustrating sometimes.

I live in Maine in the southern part about 35 miles from the ocean and we get cold fronts from Canada which rule and then warm fronts from the southern parts of the US where we can get 2 days of rain with temps in the 50s F.

Most of last winter was highs of 21 F and lows overnight of 10 F to -10 F

I noticed the best time to flood using a fine spray cone of water from a garden hose was at about 7 degrees F freezing on contact almost.

I never ever flooded the rink to have a new glass smooth surface because the ice would be chippy and/or get thermal cracks when the temps changed causing big cracks.

i went with the thin resurfacing approach like a Zamboni does, in fact if you notice it the Zamboni leaves the old skate ruts there but has smoothed them over. The ice is never like glass after a Zamboni has finished resurfacing a rink.

A place across town from me years ago had 2 outdoor rinks, one for hockey and one for just skating, that they would drive the Zamboni from next door used in the indoor ice rink to do the ice on the outdoor rinks.

it did a fantastic job on outdoor ice and the ice never had bad spot, thin white ice covered air pockets or chippy ice. Over time it had the same qualities as indoor ice.

They no longer do that but it was nice when they did a few years ago.
Ya, you truly have to love the game to make a rink... the work can be brutal. Especially the midnight floodings when it is like -2 F outside and you are standing there spraying water... and God forbid you left the hose outside...

Im from Pittsburgh and it is kind of unusual to see a backyard rink there... I always had people stopping to look at it... one time my neighbor's car caught on fire and when the fireman came to put out the fire, more of them were coming down to look at my rink than fight the fire... it was funny ****.

I was able to have a rink from New Years to about the end of February... but like you said the warm spells and rain would wreck havoc on my rink... one time I tried to cover my rink before it rained and the tarp froze to the rink... yet another lesson learned.

By the time I made my last rink in '05, I was pretty much a pro... I knew my deviations and exactly how high to make my low side borders so the rink would flood evenly, how to make the ice smooth as glass, how to perfectly fill blowout holes, etc etc.

I met my g/f that year and now live up in Canada during the Winter, so I haven't made a rink in 4 years... but with all of the free outdoor rinks up here, I play almost everyday from Dec-March.

When I used to build my own rink, my favorite time was skating by myself, just the sounds of my blades hitting the ice and catching the snowflakes with my tongue... no feeling like that in the world.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 06:32 PM
  #40
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
Ya, you truly have to love the game to make a rink... the work can be brutal. Especially the midnight floodings when it is like -2 F outside and you are standing there spraying water... and God forbid you left the hose outside...

Im from Pittsburgh and it is kind of unusual to see a backyard rink there... I always had people stopping to look at it... one time my neighbor's car caught on fire and when the fireman came to put out the fire, more of them were coming down to look at my rink than fight the fire... it was funny ****.

I was able to have a rink from New Years to about the end of February... but like you said the warm spells and rain would wreck havoc on my rink... one time I tried to cover my rink before it rained and the tarp froze to the rink... yet another lesson learned.

By the time I made my last rink in '05, I was pretty much a pro... I knew my deviations and exactly how high to make my low side borders so the rink would flood evenly, how to make the ice smooth as glass, how to perfectly fill blowout holes, etc etc.

I met my g/f that year and now live up in Canada during the Winter, so I haven't made a rink in 4 years... but with all of the free outdoor rinks up here, I play almost everyday from Dec-March.

When I used to build my own rink, my favorite time was skating by myself, just the sounds of my blades hitting the ice and catching the snowflakes with my tongue... no feeling like that in the world.
Oh boyyyy ... the dreaded tarp mistake. I tried the same thing you did but did not leave it on long enough to freeze to it. I did however have very uneven wrinkles and raised spots from the tarp trapping in heat and ruining a huge section of ice which had to be remade and repaired.

I can imagine how upset you must have been with the tarp being frozen to the rink!!!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 11:56 PM
  #41
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
DUUUDE I'VE PLAYED THERE.
Which arena is it again? haha Gateway?

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 08:54 AM
  #42
vivianmb
Registered User
 
vivianmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,882
vCash: 500
east end.on pandora.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:32 AM
  #43
Dr Acula
Registered User
 
Dr Acula's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 208
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhuT1NxfXYk

Just practicing my shots in the backyard.

Dr Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.