HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Movie Thread

Old
05-22-2009, 06:39 AM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
Some of my favorite movies are: The Life Aquatic, Super Troopers, Dumb and Dumber, Independence Day, Crimson Tide, and Goodfellas

Theres so many more though

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 04:13 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

I just want to note that RoboCop is so violent it made my sister in-law cry, that alone pushed it into my top 20.

These days we get toned down and bloodless PG-13 wimpfests, whatever happened to action movies? That last good one, in my humble opinion, was Die Hard 3.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Mr Oysterhead

This critic just made my day and perfectly put into words what I've been trying to say about Christian Bale in recent movies.

http://lookingcloser.org/2009/05/ter...alvation-2009/

(long article, some of the highlights)

Quote:
Terminator Salvation director McG has constructed what may as well be the first cut-and-paste feature film. It’s a flashback-inducing fever dream.
Quote:
Any “meaning” in T4 is supplied in the form of obvious platitudes and shoved into the dialogue like vitamin tablets into a cake. That way we don’t have to do any actual thinking for ourselves. It’s pretty obvious that the movie is, for the most part, a desperate attempt to hold our attention through one severe, outlandish, preposterous crisis after another, based on what has worked in other movies, without a single original or interesting character to earn our sympathies.
And most importantly,

Quote:
Christian Bale, who is capable of subtlety and nuance seems increasingly crippled by Tom Cruise syndrome. He equates one-note intensity with acting. He chooses determination over dimension, angst over exploration. He looks like he is constantly suffering from a migraine. Even the skull-faced androids have more range than Bale in this movie.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 11:01 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Top 5 Movies:
1) American History X
2) The Thin Red Line / Platoon (had to list them both)
3) Good Will Hunting (I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned)
4) Glory
5) American Beauty

and its hard to leave off Memento and V for Vendetta.

It's harder to list actors, but I like...

1) Daniel Day Lewis
2) Edward Norton
3) Denzel Washington (his performance in Glory is unparalleled IMO)
4) Tom Hanks
5) Gregory Peck

And not to **** on Braveheart, but I HATE the movie as a history major. I liked Rob Roy a lot more.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 11:12 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Oh, and as far as comedies go... there is nothing better than Monty Python and the Holy Grail. And I quote...

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king.
Dennis: [interrupting] Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Old
05-22-2009, 11:47 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
This critic just made my day and perfectly put into words what I've been trying to say about Christian Bale in recent movies.

http://lookingcloser.org/2009/05/ter...alvation-2009/

(long article, some of the highlights)

And most importantly,

I hope it's better than this. I was very excited for this movie, despite McG's track record of hackery, and have been something of a Bale fan for a while. In The Machinist, American Psycho, and, yes, Empire of the Sun he oozes potential. But his more recent performances have been, Dark Knight included, relatively disappointing.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Mr Oysterhead

I really like American Psycho and The Prestige. I thought both were good movies with really solid performances from Bale. Other than that, Bale has been ordinary and even a detriment.

I saw The Machinist after I saw American Psycho and it was probably my first red flag about Bale. I thought the story was a total con of other movies, just not done as well. Didn't think he was particularly great in it either.

I then saw Equilibrium which makes my top ten worst movies ever. There may have been less originality in that movie than in T4.

3:10 to Yuma was decent, but my praise goes to Crowe, not Bale.

Rescue Dawn = Rescue Yawn. Another one that did nothing for me.

Batman Begins? Eh, not bad for a super hero flick. At least they took one or two original approaches in the storytelling and structure.

The Dark Knight may be my most hated movie of all time. Not saying its the worst movie ever, it's not, but the love that exists for that movie is disgusting.

Best movie all time? top 10 on the imdb list? What the **** people? Bale was laughably bad with his overacting. The dialogue was crap (i.e. "Dad, did Batman save you?" "Actually...tonight...I saved him" ). The story was bland, cookie cutter type stuff yet Chris Nolan acts like this material is heady, meaningful **** that rivals Thomas Paine. Please, stop trying to make me rethink life views with a story that wouldn't challenge the cognitive bounds of a third grader. Come on dude, you did Memento. Stop patronizing me with pompous, third-rate, overly insightful dialogue. To cap it all off, the movie is about 45 minutes too long. Ledger did a good job. Lone bright spot.

Give anyone on here an endless budget and everyone's bleeding, sympathetic hearts before the movie even begins and i'm sure public perception will be highly positive nine out of ten times.

Flame away.

Old
05-23-2009, 12:52 AM
ilovetheflyers8

I didnt say any actors before but a good one is Michael Caine.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 08:27 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:

I thought Ben Foster stole the show in 3:10 to Yuma.

Old
05-23-2009, 02:18 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

The only time I thought Bale performed well as an actor was in American Psycho. Seriously, how hard a role is Batman or John Connor? Rescue Dawn stunk and Crowe/Foster had stronger performances in 3:10 to Yuma. It's these loser Batman fanbosy who talk this guy up like he is ****in Robert DeNiro.

I saw Terminator Salvation last night and it sucked worse that Terminator 3. It was so tame, hence the PG-13 rating for the kiddies, and the acting sucked ****...I did like the Marcus guy though. It was like a Michael Bay film, all action and no story.

They gotta stop resurrecting these classic franchises like Die Hard and Terminator just to cash in with a PG-13 rating and rehashed storylines that alienate me as a fan who grew up with these movies.

Old
05-23-2009, 02:20 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
I really like American Psycho and The Prestige. I thought both were good movies with really solid performances from Bale. Other than that, Bale has been ordinary and even a detriment.

I saw The Machinist after I saw American Psycho and it was probably my first red flag about Bale. I thought the story was a total con of other movies, just not done as well. Didn't think he was particularly great in it either.

I then saw Equilibrium which makes my top ten worst movies ever. There may have been less originality in that movie than in T4.

Rescue Dawn = Rescue Yawn. Another one that did nothing for me.

Batman Begins? Eh, not bad for a super hero flick. At least they took one or two original approaches in the storytelling and structure.

The Dark Knight may be my most hated movie of all time. Not saying its the worst movie ever, it's not, but the love that exists for that movie is disgusting.

Best movie all time? top 10 on the imdb list? What the **** people? Bale was laughably bad with his overacting. The dialogue was crap (i.e. "Dad, did Batman save you?" "Actually...tonight...I saved him" ). The story was bland, cookie cutter type stuff yet Chris Nolan acts like this material is heady, meaningful **** that rivals Thomas Paine. Please, stop trying to make me rethink life views with a story that wouldn't challenge the cognitive bounds of a third grader. Come on dude, you did Memento. Stop patronizing me with pompous, third-rate, overly insightful dialogue. To cap it all off, the movie is about 45 minutes too long. Ledger did a good job. Lone bright spot.

Give anyone on here an endless budget and everyone's bleeding, sympathetic hearts before the movie even begins and i'm sure public perception will be highly positive nine out of ten times.

Flame away.

Dude, you're so right it aint funny.

The Bale lovers are glorified Batman geeks.

Old
05-24-2009, 12:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
I don't know about Bale so much, I'll have to see when Public Enemies comes out (my mom loves Johnny Depp so I can convince her to pay my way for it). If he sucks next to Johnny Depp, then well, that's all that needs to be said.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2009, 12:36 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
I thought Ben Foster stole the show in 3:10 to Yuma.
100% agree. He gave me chills in that movie. I thought Crowe was pretty good too, while Bale was just sort of meh.

Old
05-24-2009, 01:56 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1900
Some favorites

1. Shock, the trio of spaghetti westerns starring Clint Eastwood but I'll list "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly." (and thanks FlyHigh, good to know)

2. The Outlaw Josey Wales

3. Airplane!

4. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

5. Slapshot

05-24-2009, 02:00 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I don't know about Bale so much, I'll have to see when Public Enemies comes out (my mom loves Johnny Depp so I can convince her to pay my way for it). If he sucks next to Johnny Depp, then well, that's all that needs to be said.
I'm looking forward to Public Enemies too, but did they really need to make another John Dillinger film? I can only watch him and his cronies die so many different ways.

Old
05-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
Dude, you're so right it aint funny.

The Bale lovers are glorified Batman geeks.
I enjoyed Bale in The Prestige and thought he was great in American Psycho, and while I've enjoyed the new Batman movies, it has nothing to do with Bale and he clearly wasn't anything special in them.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 12:43 AM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If he sucks next to Johnny Depp, then well, that's all that needs to be said.
Good point.

Not sure how I didn't include Depp in my top list. Even in crap movies he is likable (i.e. Nick of Time and The Ninth Gate).

Old
05-25-2009, 08:46 AM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
I'm looking forward to Public Enemies too, but did they really need to make another John Dillinger film? I can only watch him and his cronies die so many different ways.
You just ruined it for me.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Top picks:
Man on Fire
Tombstone
Jaws
Alien
Star Wars (original trilogy)
LOTR
Christmas Story
Casa Blanca
African Queen

Top Actors
Willam Dafoe
Gene Hackman
John Lithgow
Ben Stiller
Owen Wilson

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 09:27 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Not a movie but does anyone watch Fringe? It's JJ Abrams new show. Ive been watching it and its really good. Its got an X-Files kinda feel to it.

Charlie Conway from the Mighty Ducks is one of the main characters.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 10:23 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Not a movie but does anyone watch Fringe? It's JJ Abrams new show. Ive been watching it and its really good. Its got an X-Files kinda feel to it.

Charlie Conway from the Mighty Ducks is one of the main characters.
I watch it, it's excellent. It really started to come together down the stretch of the season.

Old
05-25-2009, 02:04 PM
TheSkatingDutchman

1. The Bourne Series
2. Black Hawk Down
3. Layer Cake (Best British movie ever)
4. American Psycho
5. The Longest Day

I know I'll take **** for this but I absolutely hate Braveheart and Saving Private Ryan, other the D-Day scene because that's pretty much impossible to hate.

TheSkatingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 02:37 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post
You just ruined it for me.
****. Sorry, man. I thought Dillinger and his gang were still pretty notorious and well known considering some of events they were involved with.

Old
05-25-2009, 02:46 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkatingDutchman View Post
1. The Bourne Series
2. Black Hawk Down

4. American Psycho
5. The Longest Day

I know I'll take **** for this but I absolutely hate Braveheart and Saving Private Ryan, other the D-Day scene because that's pretty much impossible to hate.
Amazing.

I'd love to add, I love Saving Private Ryan.

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2009, 03:08 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkatingDutchman View Post
1. The Bourne Series
2. Black Hawk Down
4. American Psycho
5. The Longest Day

Layer Cake is an amazing movie, it should get a lot more credit.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote