HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Fla - Tor

Old
05-22-2009, 09:05 PM
grabo84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
gutcheck, since you separate the aspects of his game, and by what you state is minus his offensive accumen, wouldnt you have to state that defensively this year at least he was a defensive liability?

my thought process being that Kubina and Ian White we clearly better at least defensively, I mean watching them play at least to me it was obvious and Schenn despite momentary lapses brought a needed physical aspect to the team. Even Van Ryn, for the time he played was much better than expected.
Well, I'm not sure it was clear Kubina was better defensively. He had a pretty rough minus rating as well. Ian White was better, but he had a great year - I think he actually wound up with a plus rating. He was our best defensive defenceman by far.

Honestly, I don't really agree that Kaberle was a defensive liability last year, apart from the stretch after he returned from his injury. He really looked out of synch then, but I'm willing to give him a mulligan on that. Beyond that, it was about par for the course, nothing exceptional but nothing terrible at the same time.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Gutchecktime

vCash: 500
Quote:
gutcheck, since you separate the aspects of his game, and by what you state is minus his offensive accumen, wouldnt you have to state that defensively this year at least he was a defensive liability?
No, I don't believe he was a defensive liability. He definitely, definitely had some rough outings. But we were the 7th worst team in the league. Our goaltending was just horrendous for most of the season, we had the more players make their NHL debuts this season than anyone else in the league.

If you trade Kaberle to a good team, he'll look far better. And there'll be far more people who'll acknowledge his abilities than there is now. Just like McCabe, just like Gill, just like Antropov.

Quote:
my thought process being that Kubina and Ian White we clearly better at least defensively, I mean watching them play at least to me it was obvious and Schenn despite momentary lapses brought a needed physical aspect to the team. Even Van Ryn, for the time he played was much better than expected. I think you have to say that for whatever reason, whether he was discouraged or what not before his injury, he was clearly not as involved, He's never been one to hit much as you know, but he wasnt hitting at all last year, he had I think 4 penalties all year and he averaged 1.5 hits a week.
I agree that the Janssen hit seems to have had an effect on him. But to say he's a player that shouldn't hit the ice with a lead in the last half of the third period? I think that's ridiculous.

Quote:
there could be something more to it of course but to say he wasnt a defensive liability at all last year, well it really wouldn't be accurate, and thats not to say he cant re dedicate himself or couldnt return to his former self, It's just talking about his defense last year. I mean Brendan Witt was going through it for the Isles too it happens
A year ago I was arguing against people saying this kind of stuff about McCabe. McCabe is far more prone to "brain farts" than Kaberle but he wasn't as bad as everyone thought. Thankfully, I think Brian Burke is well aware of Kaberle's value and I'd welcome back the guy in a second if Burke can figure out another way to bring in some talented forwards.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote