National Team

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2004, 04:48 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
National Team

Now when the lockout is fact, how do you think the National Team should look like?

This is a golden opportunity IMO. To mix up the national team with superstars from the NHL with youngsters who are yet to reach their peak. Sweden have a lot of youngsters this year who could get their game going (Steen, Eriksson, Jämtin, Nilsson, Tim Eriksson and so on) and they could learn a lot of the NHLers, how it is to play there, their type of game. At defense I would see a NHLer paired up with an youngster, I think this could be what brings Sweden back to produce a lot of NHLers. Think if Lars Jonsson would have the opportunity to play with Kim Johnsson in a tournament.

Old
09-18-2004, 04:53 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

The lockout only makes it even more evident that we need a development team for Tre Kronor again!

edit: Seriously though, I wonder if the federation can pay for insurance for all the players under NHL contract for crappy little tournaments like Karjala/Baltica/Ceska etc.

Old
09-29-2004, 04:23 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

If there was a Sweden Hockey Games today, I think I would pick this as our best team:

Henrik Lundqvist, Daniel Henriksson

Magnus Johansson - Henrik Tallinder
Daniel Tjärnqvist - Niclas Wallin
Niclas Hävelid - Dick Tärnström

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Mattias Weinhandl
Thomas Holmström - Peter Forsberg - Henrik Zetterberg
Kristian Huselius - Jörgen Jönsson - Nils Ekman
Per-Johan Axelsson - Samuel Påhlsson - Marcus Nilson

Spares: Christian Bäckman, Andreas Salomonsson

Consider all this superplayers that are scratched:
G: Liv, Holmqvist, Thörnqvist
D: R Sundin, Kim Johnsson, Hedin, Timander, Hållberg, Frögren, Lars Jonsson, Hasse Jonsson
C: Per Svartvadet, Davidsson, Steen, Michael Nylander, Franzen, Jonas Nordqvist, Jonas Rönnqvist
F: Kahnberg, Niklas Nordgren, Jonas Höglund, Andreas Johansson, Dackell, Jimmie Ölvestad.

I don't think we had ever had so many players at home thata could handle the international play, sadly it'll mean a t lot of younger players will not se National Team action, although I think Myggan will select a couple of them.

Youngsters who should be on some of the National Team Tourneys: Gusten Thörnqvist, Johnny Oduya, Daniel Fernholm, Lars Jonsson, Jonas Frögren, Jonas Nordqvist, Tim Eriksson, Loui Eriksson, Jari Tolsa, Yared Hagos.

Old
09-29-2004, 05:46 AM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
Magnus Johansson - Henrik Tallinder
Daniel Tjärnqvist - Niclas Wallin
Niclas Hävelid - Dick Tärnström
I actually don't like this defense very much. Not as strong as one could hope for during a lockout. Not sure I would include Magnus Johansson, Henrik Tallinder and Niclas Wallin.

Old
09-29-2004, 06:00 AM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
my team would look like this

Henrik Lundqvist
Johan Holmqvist

Kim Johnsson - Mattias Timander
Daniel Tjärnqvist - Dick Tärnström
Christian Bäckman - Niclas Wallin

Extra: Niclas Hävelid, Per Hållberg, Henrik Tallinder

Kristian Huselius - Peter Forsberg - Henrik Zetterberg (3 players that want a lot of puck, hehe..)
Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Mattias Weinhandl ('nough said)
Nils Ekman - Michael Nylander - Per-Johan Axelsson (creativity, scoring, hard work)
Christian Berglund - Samuel Påhlsson - Marcus Nilson (crash boom bang)

Extra: Jörgen Jönsson, Tomas Holmström, Andreas Johansson

Old
09-29-2004, 10:11 AM
mikkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
edit: Seriously though, I wonder if the federation can pay for insurance for all the players under NHL contract for crappy little tournaments like Karjala/Baltica/Ceska etc.
I thought the same thing, dont believe that Fins, Rus or Czechs can afford it either.

Old
09-29-2004, 10:17 AM
mattihp

vCash: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiza
I actually don't like this defense very much. Not as strong as one could hope for during a lockout. Not sure I would include Magnus Johansson, Henrik Tallinder and Niclas Wallin.
If you've seen Tallinder play you would want him over Tjärnqvist, Hävelid and a bunch of more guys...

Old
09-29-2004, 12:42 PM
Robertsson 4-ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore
my team would look like this

Henrik Lundqvist
Johan Holmqvist

Kim Johnsson - Mattias Timander
Daniel Tjärnqvist - Dick Tärnström
Christian Bäckman - Niclas Wallin

Extra: Niclas Hävelid, Per Hållberg, Henrik Tallinder

Kristian Huselius - Peter Forsberg - Henrik Zetterberg (3 players that want a lot of puck, hehe..)
Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Mattias Weinhandl ('nough said)
Nils Ekman - Michael Nylander - Per-Johan Axelsson (creativity, scoring, hard work)
Christian Berglund - Samuel Påhlsson - Marcus Nilson (crash boom bang)

Extra: Jörgen Jönsson, Tomas Holmström, Andreas Johansson
Every player in the starting lineup (except Lundqvist) played in NHL last season, quite impressing lineup. Tallinder though seem to have impressed a lot during the first rounds of the SEL, but it's hard to scracth any of those d-men you have selected.

But how many times do have to say Thomas Holmström HAS to be in the lineup? He always plays well with the national team, maybe the overall best player for Sweden in WC.

Have to admit I forgot Berglund, he should get the chance on the team as well.

Old
09-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Leo Naphta

Lundquist
Holmqvist
(Henriksson)

Johnsson Tallinder
Bäckman Tjärnqvist
Fransson Fernholm
Enström

Ekman Forsberg Nilson
Sedin Sedin Weinhandl
Zetterberg Steen Berglund
Huselius Påhlsson Holmström
Nordquist

Some remarks: It is time to move on and replace the role players of the last generation (Jönsson, Axelsson, A. Johansson and the likes, though Holmström can stay) with new blood.

Fransson, Enström and Fernholm are included partly as an effect of wishful thinking on my part, partly because we badly need new young blood on defense and partly because I actually believe they will develop a lot this season and the SHG is not until february.

If Sundin and Modin are actually in Europe come february, they replace Zetterberg and Steen, who replace Huselius and Påhlsson. Huselius replaces in his turn Ekman, who becomes the odd man out.

I know some others may also be playing in Europe come SHG, but I don't have the energy to bother about that now.

Old
09-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Predatore

Quote:
But how many times do have to say Thomas Holmström HAS to be in the lineup? .
Holmström would be in my line up, but only as the extra forward sitting on the bench. He would get power play ice time and once in a while skate with a regular line to stir things up. The only ones I would consider scratching for Berglund would be Christian Berglund (although he is a big favourite of mine) and Nils Ekman. The latter has however been very good with DIF so far.. so...

Old
09-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Robertsson 4-ever

I think it's time to give Jonas Nordqvist the chance. What would be his ultimate linemates at this moment? Should he play at center or at wing? He is naturally a center but plays on the wing with Rönnqvist and Fabricius in Luleå.

What do you think of his NHL upside?

BTW, he will dominate in my Dream Team.

Old
09-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Robertsson 4-ever

BTW, I don't think we'll have to worry about our defense in the upcoming tournaments the next five years with the best, as Tallinder seem to be really good at this moment. Togehter with Niklas Kronwall, Christian Bäckman, Kim Johnsson, Mattias Öhlund and Daniel Tjärnqvist they'll be a solid top-6. Of course someone else willl crack the lineup, but those six will garuntee a good defense for Sweden the coming years IMO.

Old
09-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Predatore

Quote:

What do you think of his NHL upside?
I like Nordquist, but I am not at all sure if he is destined to play in the NHL. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a career SEL player/star. His skating is poor, but he has plenty of hockey smarts etc to make up for it. However, I don't think Nordquist is special enough to warrant 2nd-, or 3rd line even, ice time and I don't see him as a role player.

I do think he will be a steady 30-35 point player in the SEL for years to come, which definitely is not a bad thing.

Old
09-29-2004, 05:27 PM
the_hockey_knowitall

The Swedes will not name NHLers to the National Team for the Novermber tournament in Helsinki and December tourney in Prague. They want to test other players out.

But should the NHLers still be in the land that gave us IKEA, SAAB and Volvo for the Sweden Games, they they will load up and then use the same group at the World Championships in Austria.

Old
09-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Leo Naphta

Quote:
BTW, I don't think we'll have to worry about our defense in the upcoming tournaments the next five years with the best, as Tallinder seem to be really good at this moment. Togehter with Niklas Kronwall, Christian Bäckman, Kim Johnsson, Mattias Öhlund and Daniel Tjärnqvist they'll be a solid top-6. Of course someone else willl crack the lineup, but those six will garuntee a good defense for Sweden the coming years IMO.
Well, worried and worried... Assuming that is our lineup in Vancouver 2010, chances are the defense will be significantly weaker than anything we have had in the last 10 years. And of the crop you mention, Bäckman and Kronwall are the only ones born in the eighties, and only two could be described as physical. Of the stay-at-homes born in the eighties, Fernholm is probably the only one that is more likely than not to play in the NHL. Grossman may have a chance too, but he is not even playing regularly in the SEL yet, so...

Old
09-30-2004, 02:26 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Naphta
Of the stay-at-homes born in the eighties, Fernholm is probably the only one that is more likely than not to play in the NHL. Grossman may have a chance too, but he is not even playing regularly in the SEL yet, so...
Douglas Murray.

Old
09-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Leo Naphta

Quote:
Douglas Murray.
I forgot about him. I'm still not overly impressed by this crop though.

Old
10-01-2004, 04:47 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Quote:
I forgot about him. I'm still not overly impressed by this crop though.
I could agree on that somewhat, maybe the depth isn't that good. But anyway, at present we have really good quality defensemen, and I'm quite sure more will come the following years.

Old
10-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Leo Naphta

We do have a solid group of offensive d-men. Come 2010, Johnson will still be around, Bäckman and Kronvall should both be top d-men in the NHL, Fransson could well be a star, and the likes of Lars Jonsson, Hedman, Enström and perhaps even Hjalmarsson, Moe and David Lidström could be solid NHL:ers by then. The trouble is that this crop is so lopsided - there are far too few physical stay-at-home types.

Old
10-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
We do have a solid group of offensive d-men. Come 2010, Johnson will still be around, Bäckman and Kronvall should both be top d-men in the NHL, Fransson could well be a star, and the likes of Lars Jonsson, Hedman, Enström and perhaps even Hjalmarsson, Moe and David Lidström could be solid NHL:ers by then. The trouble is that this crop is so lopsided - there are far too few physical stay-at-home types.

Old
10-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Predatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn

Old
10-01-2004, 01:48 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore

Old
10-02-2004, 03:06 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

In my eyes we have some big pysichal defensemen who still are developing:

Douglas Murray
Daniel Fernholm
Niclas Grossman
Robin Jonsson
Elias Granath
Staffan Kronwall

If the can put their things together we'll have a good defense, both defensively and offensively. Besides, Mattias Öhlund will probably also be around 2010.

Old
10-02-2004, 07:24 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

If no lock-out players will play in the first tournament, I would like to see a team something like this:

32 Henrik Lundqvist, 1 Gusten Thörnqvist

34 Lars Jonsson - 4 Pär Styf
15 Johnny Oduya - 2 Jonas Frögren
5 Johan Fransson - 23 Ronnie Sundin
44 Daniel Fernholm - 6 Magnus Johansson

12 Andreas Dackell - 17 Alexander Steen - 71 Mathias Tjärnqvist
11 Magnus Kahnberg - 25 Andreas Karlsson - 50 Andreas Jämtin
16 Jonas Nordqvist - 16 Johan Franzen - 18 Tony Mårtensson
22 Niklas Nordgren - 15 Yared Hagos - 10 Jonathan Hedström

It's time for a lot of players to grow into the National Team, and this is a good opportunity. Would have been nice to see Hannula as well, but I can't find room for him. Thörnqvist has deserved a chance after number one Lundqvist. Oduya, Lars Jonsson and Frögren should be ready, and youngsters Fransson and Fernholm is here to learn. Tehy'll be backed up by vets Johansson and Sundin, and a little surprise in Styf.
Steen is a must, with rugged Tjärnqvist and vet Dackell it could be an interesting environment. Kahnberg have struggled somewhat early this season, but as a rare sniper, which we don't have loads of, he must be given another chance, along with returned Karlsson and grinder Jämtin. Franzen was among the best centers in the leauge last season, and Mårtensson could bring some of his playmakingskills from AHL. Third link would be Nordqvist, who is the man to put the puck in the net in this line. Niklas Nordgren have to prove himself on the national team, and maybe should have a playmaker by his side. I would though give Yared Hagos the opportunity to grow even more, and Jon Hedström deserves a chance again after a huge WC.
Among lockout players we are a little uncertain about, like Tallinder and Boumedienne, it would be nice to see them in one of the tourneys as well.

Closed Thread