HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers-Stars

Old
05-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Oilers-Stars

Steve Ott

Tom Gilbert

The Stars defense is a bit weak right now and could use an upgrade, Zubov is injury prone and getting older so they could be looking for a player like Gilbert, Edmonton needs to get bigger and meaner, Steve Ott can bring that and his stats were pretty good this season that he may be the type of 1st line forward that Edmonton needs.

I think fellow Oilers fans will say that we are giving a bit much but that's really what it would probably take to get Ott out of Dallas.

What do you think?

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Sony Eriksson*

vCash: 500
Dallas has 7 D-men for next year and when Zubov signs they will have 8. Plus we have Ivan vishnevskiy waiting in the wings to step up. Ott showed last year that he can score and he is a big part of the team. I doubt Dallas moves him unless he was in a package for a top paring D man of top 6 forward.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
Dallas has 7 D-men for next year and when Zubov signs they will have 8. Plus we have Ivan vishnevskiy waiting in the wings to step up. Ott showed last year that he can score and he is a big part of the team. I doubt Dallas moves him unless he was in a package for a top paring D man of top 6 forward.
Gilbert's not a top pairing D?

Old
05-23-2009, 03:20 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
in edmonton he is

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Cherith Cutestory

Quote:
No, he's not. I know Oiler fans love this guy, but one good season does not make you a top-pairing D.

Cherith Cutestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherith cutestory View Post
No, he's not. I know Oiler fans love this guy, but one good season does not make you a top-pairing D.
Name me a couple players who after 1 good season at the age of 25 who now are considered top pairing D? I know there's a few. And Gilbert had top pairing points while playing on 2nd pairing minutes. He is not a 1st pairing D on the Oilers for the person ^ that said that...

Th way Gilbert has been progressing there is a good chance he keeps his touch.

Old
05-23-2009, 03:29 PM
blackcoffee

Quote:
2 good seasons. A lot of Oiler fans will argue that he was actually better last season.

blackcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Cherith Cutestory

Quote:
Name me a couple players who after 1 good season at the age of 25 who now are considered top pairing D? I know there's a few. And Gilbert had top pairing points while playing on 2nd pairing minutes. He is not a 1st pairing D on the Oilers for the person ^ that said that...

Th way Gilbert has been progressing there is a good chance he keeps his touch.
That argument doesn't work. Sure there are a few who are now top-pairing guys, and probably a ton who were busts. Only time will tell with Gilbert, but it is way to soon to call him top pairing.

Cherith Cutestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
2 good seasons. A lot of Oiler fans will argue that he was actually better last season.
Only in the defensive end..

Old
05-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
That argument doesn't work. Sure there are a few who are now top-pairing guys, and probably a ton who were busts. Only time will tell with Gilbert, but it is way to soon to call him top pairing.
ok let's put it this way. Who on Dallas other than Zubov would take Gilbert on for the top pairing?

Niskanen does not beat Gilbert right now.

Old
05-23-2009, 03:33 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Gilbert is a #3, and he's no better than guys like Niskanen and Daley. So I don't see why Dallas would give up Ott. If Ott were part of a deal, it would be for a legit #1 who could compliment Robidas.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Gilbert is a #3, and he's no better than guys like Niskanen and Daley. So I don't see why Dallas would give up Ott. If Ott were part of a deal, it would be for a legit #1 who could compliment Robidas.
Yea Gilbert's a #3 on the Oilers Behind Visnovsky and Souray.

And please support your comment on how Niskanen and Daley are better than Gilbert?

Old
05-23-2009, 03:44 PM
blackcoffee

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of judging players on stats alone, but I gotta throw these numbers out there...

Niskanen

07-08: 78 GP - 26 PTS - plus 22
08-09: 80 GP - 35 PTS - minus 11

Gilbert

07-08: 82 GP - 33 PTS - minus 6
08-09: 82 GP - 45 PTS - plus 6

What intangibles does Niskanen have that make him so much better than Gilbert? From what I've seen they are both positional defense men who aren't overly physical, but Gilbert seems to be much more superior offensively.

Old
05-23-2009, 03:47 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
From the oilers perspective we say no, for one big reason

Ott is a UFA after this next season and will be looking for a raise and will look around

oilers are not going to trade a d-man signed for 5 more years

Deal does not work from the oiler perspective

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Bob Munden

I would take Gilbert over Niskanen and Daley any day.

Bob Munden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 03:56 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
This would be a good trade for both sides, but since it is that means it'll never happen.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 03:58 PM
shadow1

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of judging players on stats alone, but I gotta throw these numbers out there...

Niskanen

07-08: 78 GP - 26 PTS - plus 22
08-09: 80 GP - 35 PTS - minus 11

Gilbert

07-08: 82 GP - 33 PTS - minus 6
08-09: 82 GP - 45 PTS - plus 6

What intangibles does Niskanen have that make him so much better than Gilbert? From what I've seen they are both positional defense men who aren't overly physical, but Gilbert seems to be much more superior offensively.
Difference in age, and Niskanen isn't signed yet.

When did I say Niskanen was better? I didn't. I said Gilbert was no better than him, which is true. All three mentioned players are solid #3-#4 defensemen.

Old
05-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Well If you say so, but I would tend to say that Ott would not get you a legit number one d-man. There are few of those and they go for big packages when they do move.

This deal make sense value wise, but does not deal with the positional needs of the stars.

They currently have a few d-men that could fill the role that Gilbert would. I would love to see Ott in Edm though, he is an absolute pain to play against and would fit in nicely.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 04:02 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
Well If you say so, but I would tend to say that Ott would not get you a legit number one d-man. There are few of those and they go for big packages when they do move.

This deal make sense value wise, but does not deal with the positional needs of the stars.

They currently have a few d-men that could fill the role that Gilbert would. I would love to see Ott in Edm though, he is an absolute pain to play against and would fit in nicely.
I don't think Ott alone would, but I'm saying if Dallas felt inclined to trade him, it would be for a #1 defenseman.

Old
05-23-2009, 04:05 PM
blackcoffee

Quote:
Difference in age, and Niskanen isn't signed yet.

When did I say Niskanen was better? I didn't. I said Gilbert was no better than him, which is true. All three mentioned players are solid #3-#4 defensemen.
I guess that is why we disagree, because I believe that Gilbert is better than Niskanen.

Old
05-23-2009, 04:05 PM
txomisc

I think Edmonton is kind of getting ripped off in this trade. Gilbert is a solid number 3 or so with good upside. Steve Ott is a guy whos biggest attribute is being a pest. Personally im not sold that his career high last season wasn't a fluke. I could very easily see his production cut in half.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 04:07 PM
txomisc

Quote:
I don't think Ott alone would, but I'm saying if Dallas felt inclined to trade him, it would be for a #1 defenseman.
How in the hell can you get a legit number one for a agitating winger? If dallas is looking to get that much for a guy like Ott they sure as hell arent going to find a trading partner.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 04:09 PM
shadow1

Quote:
I guess that is why we disagree, because I believe that Gilbert is better than Niskanen.
I believe he is right now, but at the end of the day they're similar players and Niskanen hasn't been paid yet.

Old
05-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

I can't believe it hasn't been said yet but the Oilers and their fans would never take on a player that play's a pest role and throws questionable hits with bad intentions.

The Oilers are above that.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
How in the hell can you get a legit number one for a agitating winger? If dallas is looking to get that much for a guy like Ott they sure as hell aren't going to find a trading partner.
This is a case where he is letting his homer instincts clash with reality.

If a number one were to come available such as Weber, Jaybo or Phaneuf then Ott could be part of the package, but he would not be the most valuable part.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote