HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around Hockey III (All Non-Jackets related NHL/Hockey Talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Renion

vCash: 500
Almost seems like Chicago is focusing more on throwing big hits than on getting scoring chances.

Old
05-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Hawks win in OT....the Indian lives...

Old
05-22-2009, 11:03 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

WOOT!

Old
05-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Renion

Sweet win, but if Havlat can't come back, they're in big trouble, unless Kane and Toews can break out.

Old
05-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Way to go Hawks!!

Poor Havlat, he finally makes it through a season unhurt (I think) and then gets the stuffing knocked out of him in the Conference Finals. Hope he's ok. Looked scary when he was just lying there with his eyes open right after the hit.

Old
05-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Sweet win, but if Havlat can't come back, they're in big trouble, unless Kane and Toews can break out.
Kane is pulling a Nash vs the wings...he's invisable. Not what I expected from him.

Old
05-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinNow View Post
Way to go Hawks!!

Poor Havlat, he finally makes it through a season unhurt (I think) and then gets the stuffing knocked out of him in the Conference Finals. Hope he's ok. Looked scary when he was just lying there with his eyes open right after the hit.
I was yelling, "Get away from him! Get away from him!" after it happened. Everyone fighting right over a guy just laying there not moving was really ticking me off. The refs looked like they were trying their hardest to get Havlat some air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Kane is pulling a Nash vs the wings...he's invisable. Not what I expected from him.
I actually think he's been battling pretty hard. He's at least making it look like it's hard to shut him down. If they get past the Wings, I expect him to be a monster in the SCF.

Old
05-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
And what do both players have in common in these series? Playing against Lidstrom.

Old
05-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Common denominator? Maybe the Wings are pretty good.

Quote:
I was yelling, "Get away from him! Get away from him!" after it happened. Everyone fighting right over a guy just laying there not moving was really ticking me off. The refs looked like they were trying their hardest to get Havlat some air.

I actually think he's been battling pretty hard. He's at least making it look like it's hard to shut him down. If they get past the Wings, I expect him to be a monster in the SCF.
With you on both counts, Ren. Neither the Pens nor Canes can take away space like Detroit. And that was just scary watching bodies fall on top of Havlat.

Old
05-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
And what do both players have in common in these series? Playing against Lidstrom.
My objections to that line of thinking are that Nash has 6 inches and 43 pounds on Kane and 3 inches, 29 pounds on Lidstrom, yet Kane looks like he's doing better against Lidstrom than Nash did for three games. Plus, I just don't buy the implication that, in game 4, Lidstrom suddenly stopped being the best defenseman currently playing, and that's why Nash broke out. More likely (and more hopefully), Nash simply found another gear.

Look, I thought Nash took another step this season. He had a mostly-bad playoffs, but I'm hopeful for his future. I just wish a guy with his size would use that size more often than he does, and be more aggressive. Sooner or later, I'll just stop expecting him to do so, but I'm not at that point yet.

Old
05-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

When playing against Lidstrom, size and strength of either doesn't matter. He is the way he is because of postioning and having an active stick. There is a reason why he hardly ever takes a boarding/roughing call, he's too busy striping you of the puck and going the other way.

As far as Nash and using his size, yea, my worst fears of him are coming true, he's just going to be Bertuzzi (pre-Moore) without the passing. He doesn't use his size hardly ever (I was commenting during Game 3 that he was the last Jacket to hit somebody, Juice had about 3 hits before he got his late in the SECOND period) and he's just lazy until something happens to tick him off. I mean, I guess I'll be happy if he signs an extension, but I'd almost rather move him for some pieces (like, I dunno, some defensemen that can make a pass)

Old
05-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

Quote:
I mean, I guess I'll be happy if he signs an extension, but I'd almost rather move him for some pieces (like, I dunno, some defensemen that can make a pass)
I think Nash WILL be traded at some point in the next 5-6 years. He was the best on the team from 2002-2009 but I think Brassard/Voracek/Filatov will really challenge him as top dog on the team. To add to that though, that challenge may inspire Nash to pick up his game even more so...So, who knows?

Old
05-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
When playing against Lidstrom, size and strength of either doesn't matter. He is the way he is because of postioning and having an active stick. There is a reason why he hardly ever takes a boarding/roughing call, he's too busy striping you of the puck and going the other way.

As far as Nash and using his size, yea, my worst fears of him are coming true, he's just going to be Bertuzzi (pre-Moore) without the passing. He doesn't use his size hardly ever (I was commenting during Game 3 that he was the last Jacket to hit somebody, Juice had about 3 hits before he got his late in the SECOND period) and he's just lazy until something happens to tick him off. I mean, I guess I'll be happy if he signs an extension, but I'd almost rather move him for some pieces (like, I dunno, some defensemen that can make a pass)

I've always wished Nash would use his size more. Remember a few years ago when he gave Mike Peca a concussion?

Old
05-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
I've always wished Nash would use his size more. Remember a few years ago when he gave Mike Peca a concussion?

Nash tends to use his size on guys who are sub 6-feet tall.

Old
05-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Watching Pens-Canes, it's kind of looking like Jackets-Wings all over again. The Canes just haven't had an answer to Pittsburgh's firepower (most notably Malkin). I'm rooting for the Pens, but I also want as much hockey as possible so here's hoping that Carolina picks up their game and extends this a couple games past 4.

Old
05-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Casework

Quote:
My objections to that line of thinking are that Nash has 6 inches and 43 pounds on Kane and 3 inches, 29 pounds on Lidstrom, yet Kane looks like he's doing better against Lidstrom than Nash did for three games. Plus, I just don't buy the implication that, in game 4, Lidstrom suddenly stopped being the best defenseman currently playing, and that's why Nash broke out. More likely (and more hopefully), Nash simply found another gear.

Look, I thought Nash took another step this season. He had a mostly-bad playoffs, but I'm hopeful for his future. I just wish a guy with his size would use that size more often than he does, and be more aggressive. Sooner or later, I'll just stop expecting him to do so, but I'm not at that point yet.
I don't really disagree with anything you've said, but don't discount Lidstrom just because Nash has size on him. How many Norris trophies has he won? A player like him doesn't need size.

Old
05-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
I don't really disagree with anything you've said, but don't discount Lidstrom just because Nash has size on him. How many Norris trophies has he won? A player like him doesn't need size.
I know. But again, Lidstrom didn't stop being the best defenseman in the league just for game 4 of the series. I think most people would agree that Nash looked like he had a lot more drive that game, and it wasn't because Lidstrom suddenly started to suck.

------

Wow, Joe Corvo looked/sounded dispirited. Heck, I felt that way seeing the Hurricanes in that period. So much effort, and scoring chances, but nothing to show for it.

Old
05-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Nash aside, Fedotenko has probably put Carolina away with his 5th playoff goal.. not bad when Malkin already has 2 and Crosby 1..

That's it for the Canes.. I know the Hawks pulled out one win but Detroit will win that series..

I'd love to be a Pen fan right now, a repeat SCF with the great ones.. This time I'm hoping Detroit will lose.

Old
05-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Quote:
Nash aside, Fedotenko has probably put Carolina away with his 5th playoff goal.. not bad when Malkin already has 2 and Crosby 1..

That's it for the Canes.. I know the Hawks pulled out one win but Detroit will win that series..

I'd love to be a Pen fan right now, a repeat SCF with the great ones.. This time I'm hoping Detroit will lose.
Yeah I think they are undefeated when Crosby and Malkin scores. To then add secondary scoring makes them a scary, scary foe.

As an aside, I remember why I ended up being tired of being drun k in college. It's taken me prabobly three times as long to type this as it should have.

Go Pens!

Old
05-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Yeah I think they are undefeated when Crosby and Malkin scores. To then add secondary scoring makes them a scary, scary foe.

As an aside, I remember why I ended up being tired of being drun k in college. It's taken me prabobly three times as long to type this as it should have.

Go Pens!

You did very well-in the end..

The only error was a flying K in drunk..

Old
05-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Renion

Bah humbug.

Old
05-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Quote:

You did very well-in the end..

The only error was a flying K in drunk..
I'm trying really, really hard. How did I possibly do this every single weekend and a few weekdays just a couple of years ago? It kills me.

As to the game, I really don't think the Canes have a chance in hell in terms of winning the series. They werne't really doing well defensively and they didn't have much of a shot offensively either.

I think it's going to be a Pens/Wings rematch, but I really, aerally want a Pens/Hawks finals. Imagine all that youth and talent going against each other. Mind-boggling.

Old
05-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Robert
Foligno family

I absolutely love Chris Simpson... She is the ultimate hockey chick...

Old
05-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
I'm trying really, really hard. How did I possibly do this every single weekend and a few weekdays just a couple of years ago? It kills me.

As to the game, I really don't think the Canes have a chance in hell in terms of winning the series. They werne't really doing well defensively and they didn't have much of a shot offensively either.

I think it's going to be a Pens/Wings rematch, but I really, aerally want a Pens/Hawks finals. Imagine all that youth and talent going against each other. Mind-boggling.
I want the Hawks as well but reality is reality.. The Red Wings of late are one of the best NHL hockey teams I've ever seen play the game.

They truely are the best organization in the league-even with the cap.

Old
05-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
I absolutely love Chris Simpson... She is the ultimate hockey chick...
When Versus started showing hockey, I didn't like her at all, but now I think she's great, really knows her stuff and can do an interview.

Closed Thread